996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Warning/heads up - 2002 Porsche 996 TT Silver on Black - VIN: WP0AB29972S685178

Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM
zblake will become famous soon enoughzblake will become famous soon enough
I want to vomit when I see stuff like this. God forbid I want to sell my 2002 and my car/asking price gets compared to this "eye turner". This is how "values" get screwed.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Apex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the rough
These guys seem to always have a couple 996 turbos for sale. I see their ads on CL; I always wondered why they were so cheap. Maybe they fixed the issues?

Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Apex Factor
These guys seem to always have a couple 996 turbos for sale. I see their ads on CL; I always wondered why they were so cheap. Maybe they fixed the issues?

The car has (allegedly) been wrecked and repaired...how do you un-wreck it?

Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Wtf?

So while the car may not be the best example out there, I think it's OK to sell cars at a price that meets both buyer-seller satisfaction point. There are cars for every budget and taste, knowing what you are getting.

HOWEVER....it sickens me to see seemingly (my opinion only- if sued) poorly or manipulative descriptions in order to sell them to some unsuspecting noob. According to the description, it was "inspected" at a dealer. They don't say WHAT the inspection came up with, so immediately suspect since the OP said there are several issues. From the site:

".....NON SMOKER, Just serviced/ inspected at Porsche Dealership/ Brand new clutch, Mobile one oil change/Filter($2800 including my discount), Very sharp looking 911! An eye turner, Looks/Drives great...."

Not worth the time, but I wonder what the salesmen, Mason or Tony would say if asked "what" the inspection showed....

Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Had a vehicle shown to me purchased from them and it was not as advertised and clearly had been hit in the front end - accident not disclosed to buyer.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Good Info!!!! thanks!

Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
No longer listed.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 AM
gilstill is on a distinguished road
Used cars sold by dealers who pick them up at auction have always been a turn-off for me. Private party sales where I have a chance to size up the seller (along with a PPI) have always raised by comfort level.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Apex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ard
The car has (allegedly) been wrecked and repaired...how do you un-wreck it?

A better collision shop. Though, I'm not speaking of repairing the wreck, but all of the other issues.

Regardless, this is why people need to do a thorough check on a car they are going to purchase. Thanks to the OP this might help someone looking at this specific car.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
zmt
zmt is on a distinguished road
I don't have a horse in this race, but it seems to me that aside from the electrical stuff and any potential issues that would arise from the transmission not being secure (and I don't even know what that means; loose carrier mount bolts? bolts not torqued to the housing/engine correctly?) everything else could either be explained in such a way to make it seem like normal/not deal beaker issues, or even better as serious bargaining chips. I'd say the bigger issue was the seller's lack of disclosure, but dealers be dealers. Always caveat emptor.

· Looks to have been wrecked – passenger front inner door seal (overspray) - Was it actually wrecked? or did someone have a fender resprayed because of a shopping cart ding? How was the paint work? If it was a serious front hit there'd be new components like suspension links and headlights right? Do porsches have VIN-stamped body panels? I didn't see the report, so *Shrug*

· Slave cylinder leak - it's a 996TT right?

· Transmission wasn’t secure (probably due to a recent clutch install) - As stated above, this is the big one for me. No one wants a janky transmission, but the PPI didn't report anything else about the transmission? Engaged gears correctly?

· Shift linkage was fixed by the technician as it wasn’t secure (probably due to a recent clutch install) - I've seen other people with perfectly good/loved cars report that they had to work on their cables at the transmission side. Plus, it was fixed!

· Fuel pump had been recently installed (?) - again, I've seen/heard of people needing to replace their fuel pumps too, need more info.

· Heads leaking oil - how bad? where from? Were the variocam solenoid brackets broken and pushing the solenoids out causing a small oil leak? Or was it from the valve cover gaskets or something worse?

· Spoiler hydraulics not working - again, it's a 996TT. Doesn't mean the car was abused (doesn't mean it wasn't either).

· Horn doesn’t work - Because of a replaced airbag? or because of some easily fixable wiring issue? Would be nice to know, but I understand that's probably outside the scope of a normal PPI

· NAV, stereo and disc changer doesn’t work - boo, but not having seen the ad, was it fixable? My turbo had what I would call a substandard wiring job done when replacing the stock head unit.
· Passenger seat controls don’t work - boo again
· Driver side seat lumbar doesn’t work, stuck in the outer position -more boo
· Passenger side mirror doesn’t function correctly with the controls - all of this = boo.
· Larger incorrect battery, bottom tray screwed up from acid - I'm guessing this happens a lot, is the tray easily replaceable? I'm not sure.

· Gas cap cracks - so... get a new gas cap?
· Gas cap cover broken - depending on the part, might not be a big deal?

I'm not saying I would have bought this particular car (I didn't!), especially now that it's got a reputation on the porsche boards, but what if it's all of a sudden a $32k 996 Turbo? It's doubtful and I'm hypothesizing based on the best case stuff I listed above, but still. Starts to look a bit more appetizing to someone that doesn't mind doing a bit of work on the car.

Now, if it actually has been wrecked and the wiring has been hacked up for some unknown reason, that's a whole other can of 'kraut.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:57 AM
zmt
zmt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Another P

".....NON SMOKER, Just serviced/ inspected at Porsche Dealership/ Brand new clutch, Mobile one oil change/Filter($2800 including my discount), Very sharp looking 911! An eye turner, Looks/Drives great...."
Haha. Just saw this. So they're either lying about the clutch job, put *Another* clutch in, or just had the most expensive oil change in the history of the brand.

Maybe it'll show up at a shop in the metroplex and I can go check it out. I want to see this historical porsche! =D