996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Vented Methanol bottle in Trunk??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Vented Methanol bottle in Trunk??

Just getting ready to install my meth kit this weekend. I'm using an AEM resevoir with an aquamist HFS3.

Anyways. The cap on the bottle has a small hole at the top for venting, so the bottle doesn't implode under pressure.

I'm a bit concerned with the trunk getting too hot as methanol has a boiling point of 65 degrees celcius. Quite a bit lower than water.

I was told it could get hot and give off some flammable fumes....

Am I being too paranoid?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
On my B5 S4 I used the Windshield wiper reservoir located under the hood near the engine. Never a problem. However I was running a 50/50 mix of meth / water.

I wouldn't have much concern installing in the front trunk on a 996 personally. As I can't imagine it's going to get up to 150 degrees fahrenheit.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
If you are really concerned about the vapor, you could add a barbed connector to the vapor vent on the cap, then run a hose so it vents under the car. I'm sure there is an existing path.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Yea I'm just a bit more worried with 100% meth

Old 06-16-2012, 12:04 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
I was told it could get hot and give off some flammable fumes....

Am I being too paranoid?
I haven't seen the vent hole but it's likely too small to allow a significant amount of vapor to escape. Once the vapor hits the atmosphere it will disperse and become so dilute that unless your right next to an ignition source, there's nothing to be paranoid about.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 AM
And what about fumes being inhaled? Is the trunk sealed well enough from the cabin?

I don't really want myself or my wife to be breathing that stuff.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Your nose is one of the most sensitive analytical instruments out there, besides a dog's. If you can smell it in the cabin then you got a problem. I would also check to see if you could smell it when opening the trunk after sitting there for a while in hot weather. If so, that's not good either in my opinion and a better system should be design. Ideally of course no methanol vapors should leak out. A completely sealed system or one with a one way check valve would reduce the possibility of methanol vapor concentrating in the trunk and igniting due to an electrical spark from your battery or other device that may be present like a pump. Needless to say, you don't want to have methanol leaking on an electrical device because that surely will cause a fire. Just make sure your set-up is done professionally and check for leaks often after installation.

Last edited by TTdude; 06-16-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 AM
I'm just not sure it the aem cap is a check valve or just a pin hole in the cap

Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 AM
If they've been selling these for a while with no reported problems, you should be fine. I was just pointing out some concerns that should be considered when dealing with methanol.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I've run an aquamist kit in the front of my 996 for 2 years with a bottle with a vented cap with no issues...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Good to know! I hope I don't have any issues!

Originally Posted by ttboost
I've run an aquamist kit in the front of my 996 for 2 years with a bottle with a vented cap with no issues...