6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Tranny rebuild. Anyone with straight cut gears? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/279774-tranny-rebuild-anyone-straight-cut-gears.html)

bimmer81 06-26-2012 05:39 PM

Tranny rebuild. Anyone with straight cut gears?

Its time to rebuild and srengthen my transmission. I've heard that the straight gears are much louder and wanted to know if anyone can share some real experience with this set up in a street car. Thanks

joetwint 06-26-2012 07:06 PM

i have straight cut 2nd ,3rd ,4th ,5th and 6th.They are louder than the stock gear yet not as much as i expected although i happen to like the sound.The noise is more noticeable on decel.Keep in mind though my opinion may be a little off since my car has straight pipes and that numbs your senses to all other sounds.For me i had no choice due to the power since anything else would not be as reliable

bimmer81 06-26-2012 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by joetwint (Post 3578405)
i have straight cut 2nd ,3rd ,4th ,5th and 6th.They are louder than the stock gear yet not as much as i expected although i happen to like the sound.The noise is more noticeable on decel.Keep in mind though my opinion may be a little off since my car has straight pipes and that numbs your senses to all other sounds.For me i had no choice due to the power since anything else would not be as reliable

Thanks for the feedback!! I actually heard a cup car and that thing was insanley loud, but of course it was stripped with no sound deadening.
How do you feel about the "howling noise" while cruising and accelerating? Any regrets? or positive notes? This is my weekend fun car so im trying to keep it some what civilized and cruiser friendly. Thanks

Red 9 06-26-2012 11:49 PM

Straight cut equals a dog box and it is highly unlikely that it is suitable for everyday road car.997 Cup is dog box and straight cut gears --as well as sequential shift.996 Cup is synchros box and gears are not straight cut. Straight cut gears dominate the noise in car at slow speeds as well as being tricky to shift with an H Pattern.
Joe -- you rebuilt to that spec why did you not use sequential shifter?

Tim941NYC 06-27-2012 05:07 AM

Hmm. Unless I am really wrong here, Dog box refers to the sycro/sliders. As in dog teeth. They are less of them they are larger and there is more space between them in order to allow the gear to be selected with ease. Motorcycle trans use the dogs.

I too used straight cut gears but they were less quality then the ones Joe is using. Mine where ok for a little while then where so noisy I opened up the box and found the gear were wearing out. I run straight pipes too. I use Porsche gears now. Thinking about GT's gears tho..

2muchtime 06-27-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by bimmer81 (Post 3578343)
Its time to rebuild and srengthen my transmission. I've heard that the straight gears are much louder and wanted to know if anyone can share some real experience with this set up in a street car. Thanks

Here is a short video of 3rd gear sound at Sebring, I kinda like the sound - I'm told its louder outside the car as I drive by?

2muchtime 06-27-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Red 9 (Post 3578615)
Straight cut gears dominate the noise in car at slow speeds as well as being tricky to shift with an H Pattern.

Mine is not hard to shift through third but when I do drive at slow speeds when I have to stay in third gear it does get annoying for a long period - though going up through the gears I wish I did 2nd & 4th leaving 5th & 6th for cruising quieter.

2muchtime 06-27-2012 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC (Post 3578678)
Thinking about GT's gears tho..

+1^ Matt with GT Gears is great to answer all your questions and set you up.

Tim941NYC 06-27-2012 09:24 AM

RED 9, "as well as being tricky to shift with an H Pattern." I am not sure how the cut of a gear effect the shifting in a constant mess gear box? If It has dogged syncro's then yes but thats the syncro's and not the gears.

UrbanHotrod 06-27-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2muchtime (Post 3578709)
+1^ Matt with GT Gears is great to answer all your questions and set you up.

Absolutely!

we went over 4 different patterns for my build and settled one the right one. looking forward to having in the car.

Im using the 997 Cupcar Straight cup gears in my build and i have heard them in cupcars but i found the noise to be fine. Again, im an old school guy so noise doesn't bother me and this is minimal.

joe731 06-27-2012 03:14 PM

Guards Transmission

+1 for Matt as well. I spoke with him twice over the last two weeks as I blew 3rd gear at the Glen, and needed to replace 3rd and 5th. I am going with straight cut GT gears as I do believe it when Matt says they are stronger than the porsche parts. Also, I am installing a transmission cooler to keep temps under control and extend the life of the gears.

Finally, Matt is very clear that his gears are louder and you need to be OK with that, which I am. My car is mostly a track car these days with some light around town driving.

Good luck

Red 9 06-27-2012 06:37 PM

I guess I would like to hear Matt on what you guys are referring to as staight cut gears.My comments refer to non synchros box which what I understand to be straight cut is not possible with.

GTgears 06-27-2012 07:28 PM

Straight Cut versus helical teeth on the gears have nothing at all to do with whether or not they are synchronized. We have been making straight cut synchronized gears for a dozen years. Straight cut =/= dog box.

Red 9 06-27-2012 08:09 PM

Can you post photo please?(of synchros staight cut)

bimmer81 06-27-2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by GTgears (Post 3579324)
Straight Cut versus helical teeth on the gears have nothing at all to do with whether or not they are synchronized. We have been making straight cut synchronized gears for a dozen years. Straight cut =/= dog box.

Hey Matt can you please explain why straight cut gears are stronger or superior to helical cut gears. Thanks