996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to make a 996TT sound like the new 991 S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
all states are short of $$$$ you can bet they are going to get as much as they can from us . just got a ticket in my chev hhr for having a lic cover and a second for my front plate being below the bumper, he was on commerical duty and needed the stubs....

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Morden314 is on a distinguished road
If you have original exhaust somewhere, put it on to pass the visual smog test. After you can swap other exhaust back in.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Damn, that sucks! Another reason I want it to look as stock as possible. Maybe SoCal is a little more mod friendly??
HAHA quite the opposite my friend. Cali is the only state that requires a "Cali catalytic converter" that means they mark them up by about 100-150% and say they filter a bit more. I do hear Europipe exhausts with 100cel cats have passed many times in CA. Not sure who has one of those exhausts though.

- David

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SSMugen
HAHA quite the opposite my friend. Cali is the only state that requires a "Cali catalytic converter" that means they mark them up by about 100-150% and say they filter a bit more. I do hear Europipe exhausts with 100cel cats have passed many times in CA. Not sure who has one of those exhausts though.

- David
So does the Milltek 100.
They both use high quality, large surface area cats..

Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Etchhead
I have the 3.0 with 100cel cats and although it would sniff fine the guys quickly dropped a knee and checked for the CARB stamp and failed me.

If anyone has a better place to bring where they are interested in sniff in San Jose CA, pls PM me-

Sorry to high jack the thread
That sucks.... the person i went to just tested and I passed with no questions . It was $50 for two tries, I figured if it failed i would put the stock exhaust and go back and redo it, lucky me.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I have the 3.0 with 100cel cats and although it would sniff fine the guys quickly dropped a knee and checked for the CARB stamp and failed me.

If anyone has a better place to bring where they are interested in sniff in San Jose CA, pls PM me-

Sorry to high jack the thread
That sucks.... the person i went to just tested and I passed with no questions . It was $50 for two tries, I figured if it failed i would put the stock exhaust and go back and redo it, lucky me.
I just happened to bring it to the guy who helped you out with your prototype welds. It would have worked there- but his sniffer was down.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I just happened to bring it to the guy who helped you out with your prototype welds. It would have worked there- but his sniffer was down.
I didn't go with him. Just went to a random shop.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute

- David
Dunno,

I never have issues passing visual with a 9ff gen 2 exhaust.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute

- David
Oh, I'm very well aware that CA is very strict. I was talking about Socal vs. Norcal. You can't pull out your driveway without seeing a modded vehicle and they all need to be smogged...

Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM
onurleft will become famous soon enough
You'll never get the sound of a high revving N/A motor with a turbo motor..period. It's always going to sound like a turbo motor, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (heard a 1000hp, 8+ RPM 996T? Incredible

What I would do is find the perfect full exhaust system. Eliminate the cats, pick up good power and it should make a unique growl you'll be very happy with

Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
Here's a video of my exhaust
2.5 inch. Catless.
Made by forum member tim. Sounds siiiick. Very troaty and growl.
http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/...t=VBOX0006.mp4

Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Back to OEM exhaust

And... that is why I went back to a stock OEM. As I have two left hands (read - can not pull exhaust and replace for the fun of it) I am not willing to pay 500 bucks to change the exhaust every time I need to get to go to the Smog Station and have the risk of creating a Christmas tree of light in CEL's on my dash. Ohh, and my neighbors talk to me again :-)

Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
Here's a video of my exhaust
2.5 inch. Catless.
Made by forum member tim. Sounds siiiick. Very troaty and growl.
http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/...t=VBOX0006.mp4
Cool video- wasn't sure what we were looking at in the upper right box until it started to glow! Pretty cool, rep to you for a cool VBox setup-

Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Cool video- wasn't sure what we were looking at in the upper right box until it started to glow! Pretty cool, rep to you for a cool VBox setup-
LOL.. Thats my Video Vbox... If you click the link then click on album There are more videos of steve's car.