6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Whining noise: pls help (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/28536-whining-noise-pls-help.html)

madmac 06-17-2005 01:00 PM

Whining noise: pls help

I know there was a thread on this issue in the past. I have a TT Cab with approx 6k miles. I sometimes get a somewhat loud whining noise when coasting in 2nd gear, but immediately goes away when the clutch is depressed. This just recently started.

Was there ever consensus on what this might be (ie: hydraulic system)? Is it something that needs to be resolved, or is it "normal".

Thanks a lot...

tjmpb 06-17-2005 05:02 PM

Are your wife or kids in the car when you are hearing this whining? Happens to me all the time. :-)

Brian Haske 06-17-2005 05:33 PM

Check the valves in the power steering resivour.
Its not normal.

schnellerm3 06-17-2005 05:48 PM

Originally posted by tjmpb
Are your wife or kids in the car when you are hearing this whining? Happens to me all the time. :-)

Ba dum dum ching! Seriously folks, he'll be here all week. Try the veal. hilarious

supercup 06-17-2005 06:28 PM

If it is a whinning or mooing sound, not a metal sound, it could be a bad diverter valve. It makes a loud bad sound, but can be addressed under warranty. May have replaced stock with Baily's or other better quality aftermarket dv's. I had this problem with my 2001 TT at about 9,000 miles.

JCM

madmac 06-17-2005 07:41 PM

It is definitely not a metallic sound, but a high pitch whine. Seems to only act up in 2nd gear, and goes away when clutch is depressed. Thanks for the advice... I will get it checked out.

vin457d 06-17-2005 08:48 PM

I have a 2004 tt Cab as well with the exact same annoying noise.. I think the dealer has changed every part of my engine out piece by piece under warranty in search of the noise and is still coming up short...

madmac 06-17-2005 09:30 PM

So do you still have the noise? When I did a search on this topic, I saw a lot of discussion regarding low hydraulic fluid, or an issue with the hydraulic pump. I hate the idea of pulling apart the engine, only to experience some other problem! :( Let me know if you find anything else out.

vin457d 06-17-2005 09:42 PM

Yep, I still have the noise (loud as ever) the dealer is ordering me a new part I think its a hydraulic cylinder or something to that effect. I know its located by the resivour pump..

This is my post regarding same subject:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...annoying+whine

oak 06-17-2005 09:53 PM

the whining noise is most common. most coupe owners never really notice it. no real fix.

RacerX 06-17-2005 11:24 PM

THERE IS A FIX.......I was told by my dealer servicing my tt that there was NO fix SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i had a number to the factory rep who i called 5pm on monday night.....called me back tuesday 10am and told me that there was indeed a fix...a new cap for the hydrolic power steering pump and 2 other components a hose and something else....very easy fix and whine went away......
now to be accurate this noise can be heard mostly at lower rpm's and slower speeds and immediately goes away when u engage the clutch...yes? take it to your dealer and if they dont know what you're talking about tell them to check with their tech line and if that doesnt work request u get to speak with a factory rep keep me posted if that fails i will give u the name and number to the factory rep i know that is in the know for this fix

Red Comet 06-17-2005 11:47 PM

Originally posted by vin457d
I have a 2004 tt Cab as well with the exact same annoying noise.. I think the dealer has changed every part of my engine out piece by piece under warranty in search of the noise and is still coming up short...
Let me guess, you take your car to The Collection?

I've noticed they'd rather replace parts on Porsche's dime than actually solve problems.

ColorChange 06-18-2005 05:20 AM

I go in to have mine fixed on Tuesday.

oak 06-18-2005 08:34 AM

Originally posted by RacerX
THERE IS A FIX.......I was told by my dealer servicing my tt that there was NO fix SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i had a number to the factory rep who i called 5pm on monday night.....called me back tuesday 10am and told me that there was indeed a fix...a new cap for the hydrolic power steering pump and 2 other components a hose and something else....very easy fix and whine went away......
now to be accurate this noise can be heard mostly at lower rpm's and slower speeds and immediately goes away when u engage the clutch...yes? take it to your dealer and if they dont know what you're talking about tell them to check with their tech line and if that doesnt work request u get to speak with a factory rep keep me posted if that fails i will give u the name and number to the factory rep i know that is in the know for this fix

yes, that's the noise. noise isnt consistent. taken the turbo to the dealer and had taken the tech on a ride, but could not replicate the noise. left the car at the dealer, tech could not replicate the sound. nothing was done about it. haven't heard the noise in awhile.

OKHJOON190 06-18-2005 11:38 AM

i have the same problem ... could you pass on the info for the rep and the exact problem?

it looks like is only a ttcab problem