996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looks like I have a bad valve lifter...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:29 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Guess it's time to set aside about 4k to get this repair done in the near future lol. Was there anything else you had to replace in there that the lifter might have screwed up?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dragonman4
I hear it ticking away on the left side I think. I'll have to double check.
Yep, that's where it is on mine. The #3 cylinder. Can't recall which one did it last year but I'm just gonna get all of them done for piece of mind. I've read about a couple of cars where the lifter basically disintegrated and took out the engine with it.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Simi_996 will become famous soon enoughSimi_996 will become famous soon enough
I assume the sound doesn't go away as RPM increases? I had an S420 (I know, different kind of engine) that had stuck lifters (oil lines clogged) that made it sound like a diesel. I beat that engine for a month running with all sorts of additives (seafoam, marvel, etc). After 2 oil changes, approximately 500 miles, and 20w50 oil, it went away.

That said, are you sure it is your lifters and not something else?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simi_996
I assume the sound doesn't go away as RPM increases? I had an S420 (I know, different kind of engine) that had stuck lifters (oil lines clogged) that made it sound like a diesel. I beat that engine for a month running with all sorts of additives (seafoam, marvel, etc). After 2 oil changes, approximately 500 miles, and 20w50 oil, it went away.

That said, are you sure it is your lifters and not something else?
Yes, 100% positive.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I am really sorry for you John. This is bad news....

Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by jpflip
I am really sorry for you John. This is bad news....
Thanks JP. It is what it is. Hopefully when it gets fixed next week with all new lifters I'll have the piece of mind that the motor has the updated parts in it and it won't happen again. It's a bummer since the motor was just out last week but one has to stay positive...

Old 09-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
John, this is an issue that has been popping up in a lot of the early turbo's. Chris told me that when Todd K took his engine apart, the lifters literally fell apart in his hands They could not have had more than a few hundred miles left in them. However, that motor was near 70k miles and most of those miles were at 7000rpm

Sorry to hear, but I am glad it's getting done so you don't have any major issues later on.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
If you look at this very nice site from PorscheDoc you will see the same problem with the lifter breaking apart. Also something else not too funny the variocam bracket. In fact the first cam bracket that hold the cam in place is also used to deliver oil under pressure to the variorum system for the advance. And one of the ring inside the bracket got tendency to worn out and damage the bracket. Something else to looked at when they are going to replace the lifters.... : http://rennsportkc.com/996tt-top-end/

Last edited by jpflip; 09-01-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
John, this is an issue that has been popping up in a lot of the early turbo's. Chris told me that when Todd K took his engine apart, the lifters literally fell apart in his hands They could not have had more than a few hundred miles left in them. However, that motor was near 70k miles and most of those miles were at 7000rpm

Sorry to hear, but I am glad it's getting done so you don't have any major issues later on.
Thanks Dennis. It's really an inconvenience more than anything else as I had two track days planned for next week. Oh well, at least the motor will have the updated parts in it and hopefully that'll be the end of it...

Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
If you look at this very nice site from PorscheDoc you will see the same problem with the lifter breaking apart. Also something else not too funny the variocam bracket. In fact the first cam bracket that hold the cam in place is also used to deliver oil under pressure to the variorum system for the advance. And one of the ring inside the bracket got tendency to worn out and damage the bracket. Something else to looked at when they are going to replace the lifters.... : http://rennsportkc.com/996tt-top-end/
Thanks JP, great info...

Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about the bad news. I remember Divvextreme had the same issue with his lifters when they opened up his engine to put rods in it.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by dragonman4
Guess it's time to set aside about 4k to get this repair done in the near future lol. Was there anything else you had to replace in there that the lifter might have screwed up?
No, the motor was not opened up. I had all the coolant pipes welded, a gearbox cooler installed along with the gt2 clutch conversion. Just crappy timing....

Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
John,

These are the correct part numbers per my invoice just for verification (Thanks winnigt2). The lifter issue came up a few years ago when I lived/ate and breathed on the forums so I was aware of it before my build, just as Dennis said, they fell apart in Todds hands when dissembled. The good news is they didn't fail during my infamous 7000rpm runs :-)

Good thing you caught this early, our group has done well to not have many on road catastrophic failures (knocks on wood)

Originally Posted by winnigt2
996 105 255 25 is the new version intlet and 996 105 041 72 outletside

i have this updated lifters installed...

after a month standstill is a short ticking noise for a few seconds okay....

if the lifter stick.....do a try and rev your engine with hot oil till 6800 under acceleration....maybe it goes away

Last edited by DEEPBLUE; 09-03-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: fat fingered
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
No, the motor was not opened up. I had all the coolant pipes welded, a gearbox cooler installed along with the gt2 clutch conversion. Just crappy timing....
any info about the gearbox cooler? pictures or something? How did you do it?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
What' necessary for that kind of a job, does the head have to come out?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like I have a bad valve lifter...