996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looks like I have a bad valve lifter...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
Thanks for keeping us up to date John. After reading previous post from Sharkster (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-engines.html) I was wondering if there is a possibility, while the engine is on the ground , to check looseness of the intermediate shaft?
I'll ask them about checking the looseness of the IMS. I've never thought about it on this car as the IMS is very quiet.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winnigt2
check the exhaust valve under the lifter...i am wondering that a exhaust lifter fails

maybe the reason is a def exhaust valve or spring
Ok, here is the update guys. I stopped by the shop before they closed and was able to take a look at all the old lifters that had been removed from the engine. They all looked to be in great shape except the one exhaust lifter on the left in the attached picture. You can see how the center dome on the bad lifter is collapsed into the lifter more than on a normal lifter. All the intake lifters have a built in spring and can be compressed by hand. None of the exhaust lifters can be compressed by hand so I suspect they only have a hydraulic function. I'm not sure if there is any kind of a spring in the exhaust lifter but it does not appear so and the tech was already gone so I don't know. There were no other issues and everything else looked to be in great shape from what I've been told. So far no surprises so I have my fingers crossed. They will check the cam chains when they set timing on the motor monday but from what I could see it looked great. Car should be ready on Tuesday.....

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2012, 01:23 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
you has find the failure quick and next week your car is ready for fun..

Last edited by winnigt2; 09-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, I picked up the car today after all the lifters were replaced with the new updated versions and all I have to say is WOW! What a huge difference in the sound of the engine and my engine (before the stuck lifter) was relatively quiet compared to the majority of the 996tt engines that I have heard. Now the engine just purrs. There is absolutely no more of the faint ticking that I always thought was normal in these motors and the "marbles in a can" sound is gone too. I always attributed a lot of the "normal" noise these motors make to the infamous IMS rattle but now I see some of that were the lifters. I am absolutely amazed and very glad I decided to replace all the lifters on both sides rather then just the affected side. I would highly recommend to anyone that has the motor come out of the car for one reason or another to invest the extra 5 or 6 hours of labor and parts to have the all the lifters swapped out to the new versions. Made a believer out of me....

Last edited by pwdrhound; 09-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Well, I picked up the car today after all the lifters were replaced with the new updated versions and all I have to say is WOW! What a huge difference in the sound of the engine and my engine (before the stuck lifter) was relatively quiet compared to the majority of the 996tt engines that I have heard. Now the engine just purrs. There is absolutely no more of the faint ticking that I always thought was normal in these motors and the "marbles in a can" sound is gone too. I always attributed a lot of the "normal" noise these motors make to the infamous IMS rattle but now I see some of that were the lifters. I am absolutely amazed and very glad I decided to replace all the lifters on both sides rather then just the affected side. I would highly recommend to anyone that has the motor come out of the car for one reason or another to invest the extra 5 or 6 hours of labor and parts to have the all the lifters swapped out to the new versions. Made a believer out of me....
awesome bro. Glad it is running the right way.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
awesome bro. Glad it is running the right way.
Thanks Dennis, it makes the headache and expenditure worthwhile at the end of the day....

Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I am happy for you John. Thanks for the info. Do you know the part# of the new lifters installed. Were they OEM 997's ?

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I am happy for you John. Thanks for the info. Do you know the part# of the new lifters installed. Were they OEM 997's ?
Thanks JP. The latest part numbers are those as listed in post #2 of this thread. They are the ones that go in the 997 cars. There is also a couple of hundred dollars worth of misc. stuff like cam bolts, gaskets, o rings and sealant that you must account for when doing this job.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Thanks JP. The latest part numbers are those as listed in post #2 of this thread. They are the ones that go in the 997 cars. There is also a couple of hundred dollars worth of misc. stuff like cam bolts, gaskets, o rings and sealant that you must account for when doing this job.
Ok that's good to know. I just wanted to be sure you finally went with the 997 ones. Thanks for the info and I hope you will be able to enjoy your car for a long time!!! Thanks a lot!

Oh my god!!! I just realized the price of the lifters????? For the intake 996 105 255 25 $93.61 each!!!! and the exhaust 996 105 041 73 (another update...) $40.58 each at Sonnen!!! Wow I didn't know ;-(

Last edited by jpflip; 09-15-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Ok that's good to know. I just wanted to be sure you finally went with the 997 ones. Thanks for the info and I hope you will be able to enjoy your car for a long time!!! Thanks a lot!

Oh my god!!! I just realized the price of the lifters????? For the intake 996 105 255 25 $93.61 each!!!! and the exhaust 996 105 041 73 (another update...) $40.58 each at Sonnen!!! Wow I didn't know ;-(
The exhaust 996 105 041 73 is a GT3 lifter. The TT exhaust lifter ends in 72.

They are pricey, about 2K for all 24 lifters...

Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

maybe they are made of platinum.

just buy one pair per month, you should be ready by next year

Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Prche951
maybe they are made of platinum.

just buy one pair per month, you should be ready by next year
I 'm gone have to cut on red wine....You have to have some priority in life

Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 AM
I 'm gone have to cut on red wine....You have to have some priority in life

no,no,no, you just start buying cheap wines. Ever heard of black box wine.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
I suppose that since you need to remove the camshaft, you need to have all the special tools for this car to time them correctly? So taking the engine out isn't necessarly the hard part (longest but not hardest i guess)?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
That is correct sir ^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looks like I have a bad valve lifter...