996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track tires on street to track (180miles)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Track tires on street to track (180miles)

I have a DE at ThunderHill in 1.5weeks and was hoping to swap wheels/tires at the event to my GT2 wheels with Hankook Ventus TD semi slicks. I used these tires for the first time at Infineon last month- incredible grip! My street tires are Hankook V12s (fine for street but not ideal for track!).

My alignment isn't that aggressive so my question is how much damage or heat cycle count would it be to drive with these tires on the car?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Etchhead
I have a DE at ThunderHill in 1.5weeks and was hoping to swap wheels/tires at the event to my GT2 wheels with Hankook Ventus TD semi slicks. I used these tires for the first time at Infineon last month- incredible grip! My street tires are Hankook V12s (fine for street but not ideal for track!).

My alignment isn't that aggressive so my question is how much damage or heat cycle count would it be to drive with these tires on the car?
1 heat cycle is when you get them up to full temp and then they cool down. You will only do 1 heat cycle to thill and 1 heat cycle back from thill. Drive on them there, if you do not have a support vehicle.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I'm thinking this is the right answer. It's only a rubber- might as well burn'em down!

You still going to Nevada F1?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Are the tires DOT rated for road/highway use? If not, and you have an accident your insurance probably is invalid.

John in Vancouver

Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes they are DOT and Hankook said to go for it- so swapping wheels this weekend ahead of traveling up.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I'm thinking this is the right answer. It's only a rubber- might as well burn'em down!

You still going to Nevada F1?

Yes I'm going should be fun. I'm trailing the car up Fri and coming back Sun.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
Yes they are DOT and Hankook said to go for it- so swapping wheels this weekend ahead of traveling up.
Good call. I regularly drive to THill with my R888s on the car, vice swapping them out when I get up there. A little road noise, but not harmful to the track tires

Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Yah these are a bit louder as well.

Hankook said to start with 32/40 psi for ride ip then adjust down for tracking so good to go. I pity anyone behind me though as these pick up every little rock on the road!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Have a great time F1 and try to get some video of the track and your exhaust at full attack up there.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I do a drive about this long to the track on my Toyo Proxes R888. I wouldn't want to get stuck in a heavy rain and would definitely pull over and wait that out, but otherwise it's fine. You're not truly heat cycling the tires with a drive on the street to the track since the tires don't reach a high enough temp for it to be considered a heat cycle as long as you're not driving like a nut cornering really hard and/or at very high speeds.

The road noise is definitely a lot more than with regular street tires, but nothing the radio doesn't get rid of at even a relatively low volume.