6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   comparing 335/30/18's R888 VS NT555R (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/289810-comparing-335-30-18s-r888-vs-nt555r.html)

awdbiturbo1 10-22-2012 05:40 PM

comparing 335/30/18's R888 VS NT555R
 
I bought a used Pirelli P zero roso 335/30/18 to test fit on my 12.5 inch wide rear rim. It fits all around with out any issues other than i can not instal the wheel well liner as it hits the tire by the lower intercooler pipe, With it removed there are no issues. the pirelli measures in at 13.6 inches wide making it a "wide" 335.

Id like to fit a 335/30/18 on the rear with no rubbing or little rubbing, I don't mind modding the liners and have already rolled the fenders

My question is do you guys here have any experience with the r888 and the nitto nt555r's? Which is the smaller 335/30. If you look at the specs it shows the the width on the toyo to be 13.3 and the nitto at 13.19. Now if that is accurate the nitto is a slight bit narrower, will it make a difference?

One other deciding factor for me is that i can et the Nittos faster and cheaper then the toyo's, It also seems to me they might work out better in my case. What do you guys think about the Nitto NT555R's at 600RWHP??

BlackHorseTurbo 01-07-2013 01:50 PM

Bump, as I would like to know if the R888 335/30/18 will fit back there as well.

Mark @ AIM Performance 01-07-2013 01:56 PM

get custom ICs and change the lower hose. or maybe move the turbos back with custom headers - we did that on my car :D

...otherwise you will keep rubbing on things and it will be a larger headache then its worth.

BlackHorseTurbo 01-07-2013 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by prodigymb (Post 3736840)
get custom ICs and change the lower hose. or maybe move the turbos back with custom headers - we did that on my car :D

...otherwise you will keep rubbing on things and it will be a larger headache then its worth.

Ugh, forget it then.

pwdrhound 01-07-2013 03:02 PM

My understanding after talking to a few people is that you are actually giving up performance with the 335/30/18 compared to the 315/30/18 due to the fact that 335 is a few pounds heavier and has a taller more flexible sidewall detracting from cornering performance. In addition the 335 will increase understeer. Than there are the rubbing headaches.... The 335 is more for show in my oppinion as opposed to ultimate performance...

BlackHorseTurbo 01-07-2013 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by pwdrhound (Post 3736881)
My understanding after talking to a few people is that you are actually giving up performance with the 335/30/18 compared to the 315/30/18 due to the fact that 335 is a few pounds heavier and has a taller more flexible sidewall detracting from cornering performance. In addition the 335 will increase understeer. Than there are the rubbing headaches.... The 335 is more for show in my oppinion as opposed to ultimate performance...

Yea, that's not really an issue with my need for a taller tire. :D

pwdrhound 01-07-2013 06:45 PM


Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo (Post 3736992)
Yea, that's not really an issue with my need for a taller tire. :D

In your case what I'd be worried about with a taller tire and super tight clearances is the fact that the tire will slightly expand at high speeds. I would hate to blow a tire at 200 mph due to rubbing. Just because the tire barely clears in the garage doesn't necessarily mean it will at high speed.....

BlackHorseTurbo 01-07-2013 08:14 PM


Originally Posted by pwdrhound (Post 3737051)
In your case what I'd be worried about with a taller tire and super tight clearances is the fact that the tire will slightly expand at high speeds. I would hate to blow a tire at 200 mph due to rubbing. Just because the tire barely clears in the garage doesn't necessarily mean it will at high speed.....

Yea. I'm not getting the 335's

awdbiturbo1 01-07-2013 09:01 PM

My 335's barely rub on my 12.5 inch ccws. Only over larger bumps. I rolled the fenders and molded the fender liners.

z06801 01-07-2013 09:03 PM

Between the two, the Nitto 555r is .06" taller is all, I thought it would be more being a drag radial.

MC968CS 01-07-2013 09:58 PM

I have run R888 335/30/18 on the back of my 996 GT2. The fender liner does rub away on the inside, but thats all. It didn't bother me. This is on stock 12" rear rims. They do give better straight line grip that 315 too.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands