996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Sooo... this means my radiator is leaking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:07 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Dumb question - drivers side = left side radiator?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by daedalus
Dumb question - drivers side = left side radiator?
Correct. I came out to the garage to find exactly the same situation as pictured in the original post. Left=Drivers side. For some strange reason, even though they are mirror images of each other, the Right/Passenger side radiator is more $ from every vendor.

Cheers
Mikey

Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
You guys will see when you start pulling it all apart.
Two tabs on one end of the hose where it attaches to the rad and traditional hose clamp where it attaches to the hard line that runs to the back.
Let's just say I'm glad I didn't pre order a new rad.
Regardless it's an easy fix.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Luke_01 is on a distinguished road
deckman

I am trying to PM you but for some reason I cannot. Please email me if you don't mind. I have a question for you.
lhvanroo@gmail.com
Kind regards
Luke

Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Last summer after a fast canyon run on a hot day I could smell coolant up front, never a drip on the floor though. It got to the point that after driving more than a few miles the smell was always there, like when my C2 developed a cracked reservoir. I asked a Porsche senior tech and long time personal friend about this and he said he could fix me up for less than $2k with new parts, coolant and labor. He also whispered Alumiseal to me, wink wink, nudge nudge, knowing I do most all my own work. So I'm out $6 and have not had this smell in about 6 months. My coolant level hasn't dropped an oz. either.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
I can smell coolant but I have no coolant level drop in the reservoir. So I am leaving mine until I see a drop like yours. Also my Porsche tech tells me smelling coolant in turbos is normal. I am unsure if I buy this but it is strange that I have no coolant drop. Maybe smelling some vapour is normal?!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
Damn, my right and left sides are both leaving drops on the floor. I noticed it when temps got real cold. I haven't driven the car in a few weeks until I can get this fixed. Glad this looks like its an easy fix although bleeding doesn't sound fun. Is it recommended to replace all 3 rads while in there?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
^^^ Yup my issues only cropped up when it got really cold. Anyone know why that brings out the issues?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by daedalus
^^^ Yup my issues only cropped up when it got really cold. Anyone know why that brings out the issues?
It's fairly simple; the aluminum cores that are crimped over the PLASTIC endtanks each have somewhat different coefficients of thermo-expansion. which tend to manifest at more extreme low temps vs high temps. After enough temp cycles, the seals loose integrity and begin to seep under operating pressure. Oh for the good old days of air cooling eh?

Cheers
Mikey

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 AM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
Is it worth the extra cost to replace all 3 or should I just tackle the leaking side?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by regrossman
Is it worth the extra cost to replace all 3 or should I just tackle the leaking side?
It's really easy to remove bumper. So, as the old English saying has it; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I had one front fan pack out on me. Changed just the one. The other one working without losing a beat.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
silverbullet996TT is on a distinguished road
Anyone have bleed instructions? Thx.

Last edited by silverbullet996TT; 02-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet996TT
Anyone have bleed instructions, looked in the service manual and didn't see it. Same with bumper removal? I removed the left wheel/spash guard and I don't think I can get the rad out with out pulling the bumper. I get the whiff but no leaks, so I figure ill replace the rad for good measure. Thx.
And why would you do that? Change the rad due to a whiff and no leak? Interesting... I have some whiff. Porsche tech told me some whiff on our cars is normal. He said unless it leaks leave it be. That's what I am doing.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
silverbullet996TT is on a distinguished road
Btw some good bleed info here after some searching...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...nt-change.html

Last edited by silverbullet996TT; 02-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
sdiamond911 is on a distinguished road
related ?

So there is a small coolant leak under the back driver's side of hte engine compartment. It's coming from somewhere higher up and driping along and down, haven't had chance to look further up yet. Here's the question. I had the car on a pressure test for like 6 hours, no drip. Car sits for a day or two not running = little puddle. This seems the opposite of what I would have expected! Any thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sooo... this means my radiator is leaking?