996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wheel refinish - worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a pic of one if my wheels just flat black. Thinking about a few layers of gloss for the semi-gloss look.

Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Here is a pic of one if my wheels just flat black. Thinking about a few layers of gloss for the semi-gloss look.
Pretty nice. Did you spray the insides too or just the front? It will be interesting to hear about how well it lasts through wear and tear. Can't beat the price though .

Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Pretty nice. Did you spray the insides too or just the front? It will be interesting to hear about how well it lasts through wear and tear. Can't beat the price though .
Yes in and out. Cleaned everything up real good first. My neighbor owns a prominent auto repair dealership and was impressed with how it turned up- especially for the price.

Wife didn't get what I was doing then said " oh this is like changing my finger nail polish- I get it now".

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM
602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I have the stock turbo twist wheels and I noticed that the top paint layer is actually starting to fade in places. I thought it was just dirty at first and tried a little claybar on it but it looks like that just takes more paint off!

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone on here had their stock wheels refinished and how much it set them back? I have some minor curb rash so I could get that fixed while I'm at it as well. On the flip side, I know $1500 can buy a nice new set of wheels these days so I'm not sure it's worth it?

Thoughts?
I am getting my stock rims powder coated semi-gloss black this week for $600 includes media blasting the chrome so the powder coating process adheres better. My stock rims are in great condition so no repairs need to be done. I will post pictures sometime in the next week or so.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM
602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etchhead
looks great wonder how it will hold up?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 602996TT
looks great wonder how it will hold up?
Just as a datapoint, I did my wheels (with them still on the car) about 5 months and 6,000 miles, 4 tires, and two wheel rash incidents ago.

They hold up pretty well. And in the case of a scratched finish inside the lugnut wells and the curb rash, about 4+ coats of spot plastidip and they look pristine.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:39 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I just got done painting my wheels with Duplicolor semi gloss black wheel paint. The duplicolor stuff is garbage. It comes out of the nozzle like a windex bottle and the spray pattern is 1 1/2" as opposed to the typical 3"+ which takes forever to paint your wheels. Anyways I would have liked to powder coat but did not really want to spend $400 on wheels that temporary until I find the right wheel set at the right price. That and powder coat is not invincible and if it does chip you cannot simply do a spot repair. You have to get them re-powder coated. Paint is repairable without stripping it back down. I am not sure if it is true, but I have heard from numerous credible sources that the heat of the powder coating process on cast wheels is bad. So I ended up having to wet sand and rub out the wheels with compound to get the finish looking acceptable. I also blacked out the turbo emlem with plastidip. Here are some pic for reference.

Last edited by VAGscum; 01-01-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Looks pretty sweet from here.

I was spraying my last Plasti-dip coat and it was getting kind if late and cold so the spray went on very un-even and in blobs. Next day it was just as bad so peeled it right off. My daughter (4) had a blast. New dip went right back on with zero prep work, fun stuff to play with. Just need more warm weather and less honey-dos!

Last edited by Etchhead; 01-02-2013 at 02:01 PM.