6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   996 Turbo Clutch Needed (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/296672-996-turbo-clutch-needed.html)

TurboDawg 01-05-2013 08:03 PM

996 Turbo Clutch Needed

I have a 2003 996 Turbo that has a few nice mods (K24 Turbos, EVMOS intake, chip reprogram, exhaust), and probably makes around 580HP. After a solid 52k miles I am in need of a new clutch. My mechanic is recommending upgrading it to handle to extra horsepower and is quoting me just over $5,000, which seems a bit pricy. Have done a number of web searches and it seems there are a number of upgrade options with various costs and benefits. Anyone had a 996 Turbo clutch upgraded lately with any product/budget advice

32krazy! 01-05-2013 08:15 PM

im looking the clutchmaster stage 3 also the carbonetics unit. none of them are cheap and labor also if you dont diy

TurboDawg 01-05-2013 08:46 PM

Should have added, my guy is recommending a
GT2 Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder Conversion. Clutches I have looked at are right around $2,500, so this addition my be cost differential. Anyone converted to GT2 in a 996TT and is it indeed worth it??

johnspeed 01-05-2013 08:52 PM

HI, Most independent Porsche shops around $1000 labor..
A good clutch set-up which I run,went thru 2 ClutchMaster set-ups because didnt modulate that good , the heavier Sachs 999 pressure plate and GT-2 disc >around $1250 plus throw out bearing..
Do yourself a favor and look back in the threads a week or so ago with another clutch thread, has info to help and also do a search because there are tons of clutch opinions / options.
Good Luck..

Tim941NYC 01-05-2013 08:54 PM

Do you plan on more power in the future? I would do the gt2 slave. the 5k number include the slave and clutch parts? What clutch?

johnspeed 01-05-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDawg (Post 3735541)
Should have added, my guy is recommending a
GT2 Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder Conversion. Clutches I have looked at are right around $2,500, so this addition my be cost differential. Anyone converted to GT2 in a 996TT and is it indeed worth it??

I dont think you need it 'IF' you pick the right clutch set-up to start with..
Only doing a SEARCH will tell..LOL.

32krazy! 01-05-2013 08:59 PM

do the gt2 swap one time and forget it. the oem setup was built to fail. and fail. and fail.
its on my short, short list

cactus57 01-05-2013 09:05 PM

I just had my clutch done last week.

Went with clutchmasters stage 3, clutchmasters lwfw, and GT2 slave conversion.

I absolutely love it compared to stock. To me it feels just a little heavier than stock and I can feel the engagement point now. I was on the fence with the lwfw as it seems most on this board love it or hate it. I ended up doing it and I really like it. It does chatter at idle without the clutch peddle depressed but its not obnoxious. I notice boost comes on quicker also. Had I known how well the GT2 conversion feels I would have done that a long time ago instead of replacing my accumulator/slave.

Dan at Vivid hooked me up and did my install also.

TurboDawg 01-05-2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by cactus57 (Post 3735558)
I just had my clutch done last week.

Went with clutchmasters stage 3, clutchmasters lwfw, and GT2 slave conversion.

I absolutely love it compared to stock. To me it feels just a little heavier than stock and I can feel the engagement point now. I was on the fence with the lwfw as it seems most on this board love it or hate it. I ended up doing it and I really like it. It does chatter at idle without the clutch peddle depressed but its not obnoxious. I notice boost comes on quicker also. Had I known how well the GT2 conversion feels I would have done that a long time ago instead of replacing my accumulator/slave.

Dan at Vivid hooked me up and did my install also.

What did it run you $$$wise??

TurboDawg 01-05-2013 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC (Post 3735547)
Do you plan on more power in the future? I would do the gt2 slave. the 5k number include the slave and clutch parts? What clutch?

Not looking at any other major HP change, $5k is clutch and gt2 conversion, got quote over phone so will get the detailed quote with parts list next week.

Tim941NYC 01-05-2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDawg (Post 3735565)
Not looking at any other major HP change, $5k is clutch and gt2 conversion, got quote over phone so will get the detailed quote with parts list next week.

The gt2 slave is a lot of labor. plus the kit is around 900$ or so. If you plan on keeping the car I would look at the erp twin carbon/carbon.

Engine Guy 01-05-2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDawg (Post 3735565)

GT2 Clutch conversion is a really nice touch but it does make the pedel power needed to engage the clutch go up. 100% worth it upgrade in my opinion.

Also people say use a cabonetics or what ever other brand and I still say I have not found one that works as well as the ERP clutch. The Gen 4 unit is a Jem with the GT2 conversion.

Here are a couple links if ou have not seen these. The ERP cost about 4g plus install. Likely at that power lever it would be the last clutch your car would ever need.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tall-pics.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbonetics.html

32krazy! 01-05-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Engine Guy (Post 3735579)
GT2 Clutch conversion is a really nice touch but it does make the pedel power needed to engage the clutch go up. 100% worth it upgrade in my opinion.

Also people say use a cabonetics or what ever other brand and I still say I have not found one that works as well as the ERP clutch. The Gen 4 unit is a Jem with the GT2 conversion.

Here are a couple links if ou have not seen these. The ERP cost about 4g plus install. Likely at that power lever it would be the last clutch your car would ever need.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tall-pics.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbonetics.html

when you say last clutch would that include 10 to 20 days at the drag strip? i would love to do this project once and forget it

Tim941NYC 01-05-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 3735582)
when you say last clutch would that include 10 to 20 days at the drag strip? i would love to do this project once and forget it

Yes.. Prodigymb has been using the triple for over 6 months. I am on it for 6 weeks or so. I have no lift shift and have zero problems. My engine makes over 1050 ft lbs of torque. Engine guy put some links up, you can see detailed pics. I was told if I wanted to use a tilton carbon I would need a quad disc...

32krazy! 01-05-2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC (Post 3735587)
Yes.. Prodigymb has been using the triple for over 6 months. I am on it for 6 weeks or so. I have no lift shift and have zero problems. My engine makes over 1050 ft lbs of torque. Engine guy put some links up, you can see detailed pics. I was told if I wanted to use a tilton carbon I would need a quad disc...

i read the links. just wonder if its overkill for me. you guys have twice the rwhp and torque im ever gonna have!