996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY transmission mount replacement w/pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
DIY transmission mount replacement w/pics

Hi Guys,

So when leaving from a stop, I was feeling and hearing a noticeable thunk from the Tiptronic tranny, becoming pretty pronounced the harder I launched. Props to the BlackHorsey for quickly diagnosing a broken tranny mount. The fix is easy, I'd rate it a 3 or 4 outa 10 on the difficulty scale.

Tools needed are minimal: 1/4 drive T30 Torx bit and a 10mm deep socket to remove all the underbody plastic trays to gain access to the trans mount. 15mm socket and 6" extension for the trans mount nuts and bolts, 16mm socket for the trans nose mount bolts. Floor jack to raise/lower trans nose to gain access to nose bolts.

Onward. Get the car safely up on jack stands or whatever your preferred setup is to safely gain access to the entire underside.

Here's our part, 997 375 033 03, and this trans mount supercedes all earlier 996 turbo trans mounts, both Tiptronic AND 6 speed trans, so hopefully this DIY will help tippy's and manual folks.

After removing the underbody trays, this is our problem child. Two side shots confirm the rubber donuts have completely broken free, allowing the nose of the tranny to move up and down under acceleration, and side to side while turning under power (scary noises).

Attached Images      
Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Next remove the two side trans mount bolts, 15mm wrench here. (Side note, I'm a Snap-On fan, but they're obviously not the only good tools. My only point is, for the love of Ferry and Ferdinand, please use great tools on your Porsche!)

Next remove the (4) 15mm nuts holding the black trans mount bracket to the body, and set it aside.

Now comes a delicate part. Slide a floor jack under the trans such that it lifts on the bolted on casting, while NOT contacting the trans cooling hard lines running right behind the casting. Crushing them would be bad, not to mention messy and expensive to replace. The idea is to put just enough pressure to take the weight off while we remove the trans mount.

Attached Images      

Last edited by quick968; 03-02-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Next we use a 15mm socket and 6" extension to remove the two upper trans mount nuts.

Next, we GENTLY lower the trans JUST enough to gain access to the two side facing trans nose mount bolts. 16mm socket here, and they are TIGHT with blue thread-locker. you can GENTLY wiggle in a socket and wrench pushing the rubber cooling hose elbows aside enough to gain access.

With those two bolts removed, you can now finagle the trans mount out. Here's a couple shots showing the carnage. Both rubber mounts literally fell on the floor, completely trashed. Viewing side by side, you can see the mess. Also at this time transfer the old speed nuts for under tray attachment from the old mount to the new.

Attached Images      
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM
As can be seen, the side facing nose mount bolts are factory treated with thread locker. I added a fresh dab of blue Locktite to the tips before inserting, a little goes a long way, don't over apply. After positioning the new mount, replace and re-torque the side facing bolts. They are going deep into an ALUMINUM casting so keep the torque under 85 ft lbs. Use a torque wrench.

Next jack the trans GENTLY back up into position and replace the two upper 15mm mounting nuts. Remove the jack. Replace the black forward trans mount brace with 15mm nuts and 15mm side facing bolts.

Finally replace all the underbody trays and enjoy the solid sounds of performance again.

Once again note that the trans mount is common to both Tippy's and the 6 Speeds, though I have no idea if the 6 speeds experience these failures like the Tippy's do. I think perhaps, because the Tippy's leave in 2nd gear normally, they may impart more torque to the rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers than the 6 speeds but others would know more than me.

Some folks mentioned using window sealant rubber as a temp fix, but this repair is so simple and the part cost is so reasonable I can't recommend going cheap here. Tranny leaks or driveline damage is not your friend. Also it was mentioned that some aftermarket vendors offered a Delrin or Urethane bushing version but I was unable to locate one from the usual suspects.

Hope this DIY has been helpful.

Cheers
Mikey

Attached Images      

Last edited by quick968; 03-02-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Sweet write up, thanks for sharing. Rep for you.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Nice job!!!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
EvoSlayer is on a distinguished road
Nice detailed write up, I can confirm that this is a fairly straightforward job and the same part is used on the manual car.

This is the one I fitted to my '04 manual...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	217393  
Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Ck986 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to un-earth an old thread, but does any one know the torque values for fitting the three different bolts?

Last edited by Ck986; 11-19-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Ck986 is on a distinguished road
The workshop manual says 48 ft/lbs for all the m10 screws.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Never Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for posting this helpful DIY.

I used your post as a guide this weekend, and all went perfect with my upgrade to the 997 transmission mount. I hope you don't mind if I link to your post, and borrow a couple of your photos. Based on my own experience, I think this is such an important upgrade that I am going to post about my own experience so others might realize the same benefit.

Cheers, Dave

Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Never Enough
Thanks for posting this helpful DIY.

I used your post as a guide this weekend, and all went perfect with my upgrade to the 997 transmission mount. I hope you don't mind if I link to your post, and borrow a couple of your photos. Based on my own experience, I think this is such an important upgrade that I am going to post about my own experience so others might realize the same benefit.

Cheers, Dave
Of course you can cross post to any/all boards/sites! I need to look at my 997TT mount to see how it's holding up.

One other item related to this replacement. When the rubber mounts disintegrate as mine had on the 996TT, they not only allow the nose of the tranny to jump up and down under torque loads, but at rest, the nose sags to the low side of the holes where the rubber was. This in turn allows the engine/trans assy to rotate around the engine mounts which in turn raises the exhaust system in relation to the rear bumper cover. In my case it was enough to raise the EB Werks exhaust into slight contact with the body shell, which made for some spectacular drone. On a 997TT it would possibly be enough to raise the exhaust tips into contact with the bumper cover holes and damage the opening/paint work. Bottom line check your trans mounts. Even with low miles, the rubber ages and deteriorates over time.

Cheers
Mikey

Last edited by quick968; 05-02-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=ItsRichieRich;4545050]For those that DIY:

https://www.agatools.com/tool/porsch...smission-tools

Won't work on a Turbo!

Old 08-02-2022, 08:37 PM
awdmig is a name known to allawdmig is a name known to allawdmig is a name known to allawdmig is a name known to allawdmig is a name known to allawdmig is a name known to all
Sorry for the narco bump
I'm trying to figure out if I need to get the updated 997 mount or can the replacement bushings oem or performance upgrade be installed to my old 996 mount. I have an 03tt and would prefer to buy only the bushings

Thanks!