996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Foam blowing from vents and rattle

Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
I have to admit, this is my first "foreign" car to own and I'm a little surprised at some of the things I see. I am really digging a lot of the German engineering that went into the car, but damn...they missed the boat with the liquid cooling system and the HVAC system If I had to pay someone to do all the work that I have had to do, I could have bought a new one I will pull dash during the week this week and fix it right. That black foam is kinda greasy and stains the tan carpet and my wifes clothes! Can't be having that!
Yep, a lot of German Engineering left behind I'm also same way, IF I see something I want to fix it. I was really surprised about cooling lines popin' that should be a RECALL but I believe nobody ever-mentioned this to Porsche, maybe someone did. But that's dangerous, think about it driving 60-70 on the h-way and get coolant all over your tires. I wont even point racing the car on the track. (Sure I would fix mine before even letting the car on the track)

Foam it is kinda greasy, NOT sure why I never turned AC on when I was buying the car, I was on the way to work, white shirt, to start brand new day, I turned the AC on and all the CRAP just sprayed all over inside the car, I was WTF is that......It ruined my rainbow and sunshine that day.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 AM
fhkghio is on a distinguished road
thought i'd heard it all by now.. but foam!? wtf is that? did your pollen filter explode?! sounds awful.. good luck with it.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fhkghio
thought i'd heard it all by now.. but foam!? wtf is that? did your pollen filter explode?! sounds awful.. good luck with it.
Not the filter. Despite what everyone keeps saying about the filter and the flapper doors under it, that stuff cant get pass the evaporator. If it's coming out of the vents, the dash has to come off.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Miami M3 is on a distinguished road
mine is inflicted with the same issue - though over the last year, it's gotten less severe as most of the foam must have come out by now

i know i read a DIY for removal of the blend door without removing the entire dash - it was on another forum with photos and step-by-step instructions - you can get to the blend door through the front trunk, but you need to cut something with a dremel to get it out and back in. once i read that, it was out of my comfort zone, but i am sure for many, it is not too difficult.

i've been searching just now for the tread but cant find it -- iirc, it was on rennlist or the renntech

Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM
IITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to all
Normal for a 10+ year old car, it happened in my Audi as well.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IITURBO
Normal for a 10+ year old car, it happened in my Audi as well.
I have had a lot of cars and I have never had this happen.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Ursoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to all
I have "the foam" also. Lame.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ursoboostd
I have "the foam" also. Lame.
It's worse than that...I have spent all day taking the dash apart and disassembling the ducting and air distribution box. I finally got inside and I can assure you, this cannot be fixed properly without taking dash out. There are two blend doors that have foam on both sides and the doors have large holes in them. That explains why the temperature coming out of the vents is inconsistent when it's in the 90's outside. This is a miserable job! I also found my fresh air/recirculate door broken along with the actuator in op I can get some foam back on only one side of each door but I don't feel comfortable with that due to the effort involved for access. I'm kinda bummed until Monday and I can make some calls. I would like to find a new unit. This is definitely not an average "DIY". Regardless of what you read on the net, you cannot access these doors without removing dash. Pulling the heat exchanger from behind the battery only accesses a small section on the back of one door. I now can also see why my windshield fogs with the a/c on. It is allowing cold air up the defrost ducts no matter what the setting is.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2816486420.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	403988   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3388246485.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	403989   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2837482506.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	403990  

Last edited by Vantaredoc; 10-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:59 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Excellent effort I have been there before with my 928 and other dashes with individual wires to everything=fun. Can you remove the blend doors re-foam and reinstall?

Old 10-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Excellent effort I have been there before with my 928 and other dashes with individual wires to everything=fun. Can you remove the blend doors re-foam and reinstall?
Not easily. I just found a complete unit on eBay! I think I will really get to know this car...lol

Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 AM
xgjndj is on a distinguished road

Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by xgjndj
Thanks. This has nothing to do with pollen filter. Look at pictures.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
Thanks. This has nothing to do with pollen filter. Look at pictures.
you are replying to a troll, who seemingly has little else to do with their time than re-post other previous post(s).

Old 10-06-2014, 01:37 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
Vantaredoc, where in Fl are you? Im just west of Ft lauderdale and will lend you a hand if needed as I need the experience to complete mine, too.

Scott

Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by 03 996tt
Vantaredoc, where in Fl are you? Im just west of Ft lauderdale and will lend you a hand if needed as I need the experience to complete mine, too. Scott
I'm in the Sanford area. I just received email confirmation for shipping from EBay for the new unit. Looks like it will be quite the job changing it and getting everything in the right place for dash reinstall but I can do it...lol. I hate rattles of any sort So I will be adding extra protection while reassembling. Thank you for the offer!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Foam blowing from vents and rattle