996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Foam blowing from vents and rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:58 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Looks great glad it worked out so well.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
This is what I purchased. It is a tedious job.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2585358874.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	408495  
Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
I just thought I would follow up on this repair. Now that it is HOT and MUGGY out, the new HVAC unit is awesome! When I first got the car, I was disappointed with the performance of the A/C operation on hot days. I just attributed it to being black and figured it must be a "Porsche" thing...lol I had checked the freon and everything checked out good. Now that the blend doors aren't "blending" the hot air with the cold air, the car cools down very quickly and not having the foam bits blowing on my wife's clothes is a plus! I have to admit, it is a tedious job. Anyone with mechanical skill and patience (which I have very little patience, but I twist wrenches since a young child) can do this task. Take lots of pictures and good luck!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 AM
914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of914rrr has much to be proud of
Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 AM
gwhaley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
This is what I purchased. It is a tedious job.

Hi Vantaredoc! Thanks for taking the time to document your experience with this. If you don't mind, I have a few questions please.

First, if you had your replacement part in hand, how long would it have taken from start to finish to swap it out, if there were no interruptions?

Second, in an earlier message, you mentioned that this also "cured" a noise that you were getting from that area when going over bumps. Do you think it was those flaps bouncing and the noise was the "plastic to plastic" contact? ( I have a similar noise, and haven't been able to find where it's coming from, but your comment about this has me thinking it could be the culprit)

Third, based on your experience, and the possibility of this happening again, is there another fabric we could use that would be better suited? Maybe a plastic screen or mesh?

Obviously mine being 16 years old and having spent its life in the Houston heat, mine appears to be suffering from the same ailments.

Thanks again for your write up, it is very much appreciated!
Greg

Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by gwhaley
Hi Vantaredoc! Thanks for taking the time to document your experience with this. If you don't mind, I have a few questions please.

First, if you had your replacement part in hand, how long would it have taken from start to finish to swap it out, if there were no interruptions?

Second, in an earlier message, you mentioned that this also "cured" a noise that you were getting from that area when going over bumps. Do you think it was those flaps bouncing and the noise was the "plastic to plastic" contact? ( I have a similar noise, and haven't been able to find where it's coming from, but your comment about this has me thinking it could be the culprit)

Third, based on your experience, and the possibility of this happening again, is there another fabric we could use that would be better suited? Maybe a plastic screen or mesh?

Obviously mine being 16 years old and having spent its life in the Houston heat, mine appears to be suffering from the same ailments.

Thanks again for your write up, it is very much appreciated!
Greg
I apologize for not responding sooner as I just ran across this post by using the app on my phone! I'm surprised this site does not have a "My Replies" tab!

First, Probably 2-3 days

Second, It is a metal to plastic rattle and yes it cured the main one I had. The worst of the rattles were the trac bars!

Third, Im not sure about this one. The flapper doors are sheet metal with very large circular holes and covered with a foam tape. So Mesh would be out of the question as it needs to not allow to pass through it.

It was a pain, but the gain has been worth it! This summer here in Fl was very hot and the a/c performed awesome!

Old 08-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Tom Loder is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm dealing with this now in my '99 996. I've got a Boxster red interior and notice the black bits of foam are staining the dashboard. Any ideas on what to clean it with? It seems embedded now.