996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New Tilton Triple Disc Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 PM
cgmeredithjr will become famous soon enough
New Tilton Triple Disc Clutch

Courtesy of Todd @ EVOMS, here is the clutch I will be using on the GT700 GT2. This Tilton Triple Disc package will handle over 1000HP and drives similar to stock, plus it is rebuildable.

Cleve

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
That sounds pretty cool. Are you using a light weight flywheel? How would that bad-boy be for engagement VS the typical Stage 2 clutch & light weight flywheel combo?

Mike

Old 07-29-2005, 09:31 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Did you have problems with the stock clutch with that package?

Old 07-29-2005, 10:12 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Re: New Tilton Triple Disc Clutch

Originally posted by cgmeredithjr
Courtesy of Todd @ EVOMS, here is the clutch I will be using on the GT700 GT2. This Tilton Triple Disc package will handle over 1000HP and drives similar to stock, plus it is rebuildable.

Cleve
Are you sure that is new? I believe that clutch was first used and developed for KA. Actually, the clutch itself isn't new. The application to a 996tt was and that is what we developed.

Now it is entirely possible you have a new and improved version.

Last edited by cjv; 07-29-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Cleve, what is the ETA on your car's return?

Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Been around Tiltons before, they are one of the premiere clutch builders in the world, but they aren't always as perfect as people say they are.

I suppose those stories are better left for another thread

-m

Old 07-30-2005, 05:58 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Cleve: Drive like stock? You sure about that? Almost all high performance clutches significantly increase pressure and tend to be very grabby (thus the increased performance). Can you please let us know when you get it, or can you comment Chad?

Old 07-30-2005, 08:56 AM
cgmeredithjr will become famous soon enough
Zippy: It is my understanding that this Clutch/Flywheel package weighs about 1/2 the amount of the stock dual mass set up. The discs are non-metallic and therefore the engagement is similar to stock...it can be slipped. The pedal pressure will be more than stock. The gain in holding capacity is acheived through higher clamping pressure, but more importantly the much increased surface area of the multiple disc design.

rmrmd1956: My car was running the stock clutch with the Stage IV package (502RWHP, 503RWTQ) and worked fine. With the GT700 upgrades currently being performed, I decided to go ahead and install the Tilton package because the car will see a lot of track days, and I wanted a set up that I would not have to worry about handling the power.

CJV: Cool, I'm gonna have the same clutch as KA...now I know I'm on the right track.

Ruiner: Soon, I hope. Trying to make the August 20 DE at Road Atlanta. Done anymore "Stunt Driving" lately?

ColorChange: CJV, help me out here. Because the discs are non-metallic, they can be slipped and will not have the on/off traits of a full-metallic race clutch. Yes, the pedal pressure will be higher, but I can deal with that minor inconvenience.

Cleve

Old 07-30-2005, 09:07 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Cleve: Very cool. Pedal pressure doesn't bother me but the grippiness on the street is a PIA. Please let us know how you like it.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Guys N' girls,

From being into the Import car scene somewhat. The first Tilton Triple carbon plate clutch i saw was for the MKIV Supras(93-98). The second one was for the Mitsu Evo VIII (03-05). What i have heard of the triple carbon clutch that Tilton makes is all good. Since the clutch uses carbon plates, the hotter it gets the better it holds.

ColorChange : I have been told that it might have approximately 10% more pressure.

Cgmeredithjr : Congrats on the purchase .

BTW : Clutches should be measured in Torque and not Horsepower !!!
Wonder if we can get a torque figure for that clutch kit ?

Athbi

Old 07-30-2005, 12:24 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ColorChange
Cleve: Drive like stock? You sure about that? Almost all high performance clutches significantly increase pressure and tend to be very grabby (thus the increased performance). Can you please let us know when you get it, or can you comment Chad?
Mine doesn't drive like stock. Then again it isn't difficult to drive. On our set up we removed the hydralic accuator. As for grabby, that would depend on the discs being employed. There is a choice of many different discs. There is also a choice of pressure plates. This can vary the costs between 4 and 7.5K.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:28 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Q8_TwinTurbo
Guys N' girls,

From being into the Import car scene somewhat. The first Tilton Triple carbon plate clutch i saw was for the MKIV Supras(93-98). The second one was for the Mitsu Evo VIII (03-05). What i have heard of the triple carbon clutch that Tilton makes is all good. Since the clutch uses carbon plates, the hotter it gets the better it holds.

ColorChange : I have been told that it might have approximately 10% more pressure.

Cgmeredithjr : Congrats on the purchase .

Te torque figures are provided on the Tilton website. They can handle up to 1200 ft/lbs. depending on pressure plate and discs used.

Athbi

Old 07-30-2005, 12:30 PM
cjv
Originally posted by cgmeredithjr
Zippy: It is my understanding that this Clutch/Flywheel package weighs about 1/2 the amount of the stock dual mass set up. The discs are non-metallic and therefore the engagement is similar to stock...it can be slipped. The pedal pressure will be more than stock. The gain in holding capacity is acheived through higher clamping pressure, but more importantly the much increased surface area of the multiple disc design.

rmrmd1956: My car was running the stock clutch with the Stage IV package (502RWHP, 503RWTQ) and worked fine. With the GT700 upgrades currently being performed, I decided to go ahead and install the Tilton package because the car will see a lot of track days, and I wanted a set up that I would not have to worry about handling the power.

CJV: Cool, I'm gonna have the same clutch as KA...now I know I'm on the right track.

Ruiner: Soon, I hope. Trying to make the August 20 DE at Road Atlanta. Done anymore "Stunt Driving" lately?

ColorChange: CJV, help me out here. Because the discs are non-metallic, they can be slipped and will not have the on/off traits of a full-metallic race clutch. Yes, the pedal pressure will be higher, but I can deal with that minor inconvenience.

Cleve
Dependsing on costs, you can obtain discs in many types of materials. See Tilton website.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Q8_TwinTurbo
Guys N' girls,

I've had my fair share of experience with MKIV Supras (owned 2) and you are pretty much on the money. It's the best clutch you can buy, BUT - you also touch on it's #1 issue. The hotter it gets, the more it holds. Well, the problem is that you can keep heating it up to the point where it holds TOO damn well. You can't slip it and you can break a lot of stuff. It's happened, a number of times. AWD cars need to exercise caution with this clutch and you should all be a little careful when running it hard.

Clutch strength is measured in torque, not hp. HP does not mean much to a clutch. If someone is quoting HP it's just because it's an easier figure for people to grasp/comprehend.

-m

Old 07-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Bob M is on a distinguished road
Clive,
I would recommend you get yourself ready (mentally) for this change, otherwise you might be disappointed as your new clutch is likely not going to feel and operate like the stock clutch you are replacing.

I went with a Sachs Sport clutch and a lightweight (964) flywheel and assumed that though the pedal might feel a little stiffer and that the lightweight flywheel would take a little getting used to, it would engage in a similar fashion as before. I can tell you that it definitely does not engage like a stock clutch. Before I got used to it, it felt like an on/off switch, as it seems to engage in the last inch or less of travel with no way to moderate it. In the beginning, I had lots of embarrassing moments and it drove me nuts for about a week. But, as Stephen K told me would happen, I did finally get used to it and can now drive it without much of a problem (read stalling in traffic). I am still not confident of shooting a close gap in traffic while making a left turn and I haven't figured out the best way to get off the line quickly without major trauma to the drive train, but I can now drive it smoothly and predictably. I will also say that on the track it worked great and I loved it.

I might be wrong here, but I would guess that any performance clutch is going to take a getting acquainted period, before you feel like you are predictable with it. Long ways of saying get ready for a change.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Tilton Triple Disc Clutch