996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch options: Sachs vs clutch master

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 AM
99jules has a spectacular aura about99jules has a spectacular aura about
Clutch options: Sachs vs clutch master

I've been in contact with both vendors and both have been very supportive in providing info and their experiences. Both clutch kits appear very similar making it a tough choice. I also did a quick search looking for potential comparisons between these two options: Sachs 2.5 vs clutch master fx250 and found little to no direct comparisons for this platform. I suspect few people would have gone through both options given their durability

Essentially, I'm looking for people's real world experience. Particularly, please comment if you've driven either or both, on:
- drivability (stock-like?)
- reliability (up to 550-600)/durability
- if you had the choice to do it again, would you repeat the same choice or try alternative; if so, which one?
- whatever else you wish to mention

Note, my intended use is mostly on the street with occasional DEs; not likely to track.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 99jules; 06-26-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 99jules
I've been in contact with both vendors and both have been very supportive in providing info and their experiences. Both clutch kits appear very similar making it a tough choice. I also did a quick search looking for potential comparisons between these two options: Sachs 2.5 vs clutch master fx250 and found little to no direct comparisons for this platform. I suspect few people would have gone through both options given their durability

Essentially, I'm looking for people's real world experience. Particularly, please comment if you've driven either or both, on:
- drivability (stock-like?)
- reliability (up to 550-600)/durability
- if you had the choice to do it again, would you repeat the same choice or try alternative; if so, which one?
- whatever else you wish to mention

Thanks in advance.
So many people ask this question and they usually end up getting inundated with advise to go with an ERP clutch. I find it is not very often that a product is so good that you get so many users stating the same thing with such great conviction, Yes the product is just that good.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-clutches.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-clutches.html

Do a search on the ERP clutch and you will find much more info.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your post...another option to consider...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,,I had 2 CMs prior to my current Sachs..Didnt like the CMs...Did threads on it.
Hands down the Sachs better modulation and feel..
But the ERP is going to be my next clutch when needed..
Good Luck

Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i have the sachs 2.5 in my turbo and dyno'd 510 rwhp. im a drag racer at heart so track use is mandatory! hard launches at 4500 rpm and havent had any slippage. still have the oem slave setup so it feels a bit soft to me.

it was in the car when purchased so ill keep it until it starts to fail. that said like johnspeed and many others erp and gt2 slave will replace it when the time comes, no need to look elsewere

Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
ive got the carbon clutch (triple disk) on my car with their steel flywheel setup.
this clutch loves to be slipped... i can make my car sling shot out of the whole by launching the car at 3000 while riding the clutch..
i love the clutch because its designed to be slipped...

slipping = the key to a great launch.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
Get the Sachs, its much better. We put Kits together from Sachs all the time for DE Cars at our Shop.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks to everyone for providing their experience thus far.

Sounds like ERP is the way to go, though at a slightly higher price point that I had initially budgeted. If sticking with my original two options, sounds like a few people had good success with the Sachs kit.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
I have CM and engagement is sharp. Its easier to modulate now that I did the GT2 slave but i'd def go back to a beefed up Sachs. I know EVOMS has a nice kit but if my budget allowed i'd go with ERP for an end all solution.

Clutches aren't something you want to keep doing over and over...

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor
dbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant future
Sachs is by far our choice for installation. We have them in stock. You can read more or purchase HERE

Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
I have a carbonteic triple carbon im selling, if your interested. You can search for feedback here as well. Alot of the big builds use this clutch.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
I always love it when Vendors jump in with their sales pitch instead of any real info.

Jules where in Canada are you located. You could try out my ERP if local.

Originally Posted by bimmer81
I have a carbonteic triple carbon im selling, if your interested. You can search for feedback here as well. Alot of the big builds use this clutch.
I think you will find most of the big power guys have opted to go for the ERP as of late.... Tim941NYC, BlackdonkeyTurbo, Eddie B are the three most prolific HP chasers and they are all running ERP's with over 1000hp and very happy with them. So are the lesser power guys like me.

Pay a small amount if any more for an ERP twin or triple disc and you will have a clutch that will outlast anything else out there. Cary from ERP also stands behind his product!!! No questions there; the other manufactures are not so good with that last issue,

Last edited by Engine Guy; 06-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor
dbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
I always love it when Vendors jump in with their sales pitch instead of any real info.

Jules where in Canada are you located. You could try out my ERP if local.

I think you will find most of the big power guys have opted to go for the ERP as of late.... Tim941NYC, BlackdonkeyTurbo, Eddie B are the three most prolific HP chasers and they are all running ERP's with over 1000hp and very happy with them. So are the lesser power guys like me.

Pay a small amount if any more for an ERP twin or triple disc and you will have a clutch that will outlast anything else out there. Cary from ERP also stands behind his product!!! No questions there; the other manufactures are not so good with that last issue,
There are 2 vendors chimed in here. Only one made a sales pitch and it was me. Nowadays everybody is emotionally attached to what they have purchased. Especially if it works to the expectation. The otherwise creates a lifetime opposition to the manufacturer and the product. So to say, if you care to ask any questions, I would be more than happy to explain as to why I advise one product over another in this thread.

OP does not have 1000hp car. What you are suggesting is more than what he needs. He wants something he can live with everyday. Between the CM and the Sachs kit, Sachs is a better option that will serve to higher tq and be VERY close to stock clutch. Proven, no adventures, no room for error, over and over installed by tens of paying sponsors here which makes these forums available to everyone of us.

If I am over the line, and came off strong and disrespectful, I publicly apologize from you. However, it is unfair to talk down on someone who is making an honest suggestion with the anticipation of genuine help to a customer. In return, if we make a sale, GREAT, if not so be it.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dbcperformance
There are 2 vendors chimed in here. Only one made a sales pitch and it was me. Nowadays everybody is emotionally attached to what they have purchased. Especially if it works to the expectation. The otherwise creates a lifetime opposition to the manufacturer and the product. So to say, if you care to ask any questions, I would be more than happy to explain as to why I advise one product over another in this thread.

OP does not have 1000hp car. What you are suggesting is more than what he needs. He wants something he can live with everyday. Between the CM and the Sachs kit, Sachs is a better option that will serve to higher tq and be VERY close to stock clutch. Proven, no adventures, no room for error, over and over installed by tens of paying sponsors here which makes these forums available to everyone of us.

If I am over the line, and came off strong and disrespectful, I publicly apologize from you. However, it is unfair to talk down on someone who is making an honest suggestion with the anticipation of genuine help to a customer. In return, if we make a sale, GREAT, if not so be it.
Will your clutch hold 700ft/lbs

Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Do you have any interest, glimmer, thoughts of ever increasing your power? If so keep that in mind when picking out your clutch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch options: Sachs vs clutch master