996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A different perspective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:08 AM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
A different perspective

Have owned my '03 996TT for just over a year. Bought a modded vehicle from an enthusiast, had 60k miles, I am 3rd owner.
This is my first Porsche.

I typically see many many posts about people spending next to nothing in maintenance per year. My experience has been different.

I budgeted (guesstimated) about $4k for maintenance the first year as I knew it needed tires and brakes as well as some likely minor unexpected things.
I just crossed the $8k mark in maintenance this past year (+$3k in mods) - it has been a long year.

There has only been a few items that were out of the ordinary, everything else is what I would consider 'normal' for a 10 year old turbo vehicle. Here is my breakdown.

Note - I do try to fix it right the first time vs waiting or frankensteining things. Yes if I wrenched everything myself - it would be considerably less, however, alot is very difficult to access for a home mechanic.

Front Rotors/Pads - DIY $550
Tires - $900
Oil Change - $250
Power Steering Pump - $1,500 (previous owners shop botched the GT2 conversion, pumpwas leaking)
Coolant pipe weld (3 accessible pipes) - $1,000
Boost Leak, R&R Diverter valves, F hose, clamps - $800
Oil Change - DIY $100
Coilpacks, plugs - DIY $350
Rear Tires - $500
Fuel Filter, Battery,bleed brakes - DIY $250
Vacuum Leak - $2,000

Hopefully I have tackled the worn out hoses, clamps, connections, etc. and am out of the weeds now.

Just giving an additional data point as new owners come on board. Be prepared.

Last edited by thomapa1; 07-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I see oil change $250 then $100..... you learned. ;-)

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I see oil change $250 then $100..... you learned. ;-)
Haha - very funny! I needed to save that $150

Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i spent 2000$ on a maxjax. this allows me to do everything on your list save the coolant repair. (i cant weld very well) this is also the only way i can afford a porsche is to do the maintenence myself. the car is the most difficult car i have worked on. tight space no room for 2 hands in the bay anywere. but its still a car i cant wait to drive!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i spent 2000$ on a maxjax. this allows me to do everything on your list save the coolant repair. (i cant weld very well) this is also the only way i can afford a porsche is to do the maintenence myself. the car is the most difficult car i have worked on. tight space no room for 2 hands in the bay anywere. but its still a car i cant wait to drive!
I've been considering picking up one of these for quite sometime, I may have to talk to you about this.

I do the majority of my own work, didn't want to do a clutch job without a lift, so I paid a shop to do it.

I've owned my car for roughly a year and a few things that I went through were:

-Clutch (74k on odo)
-New Tires
-Oil change
-Brake Fluid Changes (motul rbf600)
-Motor Mounts (went to GMG's mounts)
-Transmission flush with redline lightweight shockproof
-Vacuum test DIY

Then when doing my tial conversion I did other things:

-coolant expansion tank
-New Plugs
-Boost Hoses
-Serpentine belt

My wife's 335i will get the following this year:

-new water pump
-coolant flush
-walnut blast (gums up in the intake)

I've already done a trans flush on it and I do oil changes every 7500 in her car.

All in all, the pcar maintenance is pretty straight forward. There are some more expensive things to do when you get to higher mileage and/or track (coolant welding, clutch, gt2 conversion).

I'll be doing the water pump myself, soon.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
I've been considering picking up one of these for quite sometime, I may have to talk to you about this.

I do the majority of my own work, didn't want to do a clutch job without a lift, so I paid a shop to do it.

I've owned my car for roughly a year and a few things that I went through were:

-Clutch (74k on odo)
-New Tires
-Oil change
-Brake Fluid Changes (motul rbf600)
-Motor Mounts (went to GMG's mounts)
-Transmission flush with redline lightweight shockproof
-Vacuum test DIY

Then when doing my tial conversion I did other things:

-coolant expansion tank
-New Plugs
-Boost Hoses
-Serpentine belt

My wife's 335i will get the following this year:

-new water pump
-coolant flush
-walnut blast (gums up in the intake)

I've already done a trans flush on it and I do oil changes every 7500 in her car.

All in all, the pcar maintenance is pretty straight forward. There are some more expensive things to do when you get to higher mileage and/or track (coolant welding, clutch, gt2 conversion).

I'll be doing the water pump myself, soon.
What were your symptoms for motor mounts failing? What was your mileage at the time? Tanx.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Just curious you mention tires then rear tires did they wear out in the year period and at what mileage.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM
nimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nice
Why was a vaccum leak 2000$?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Rear tires lasted 5k miles. Did one DE on them and normal (some spirited) driving.

Vacuum leak was a problem with the intake manifold sleeves - replaced all 6 for ~$250 in parts and 15 hours of labor.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:34 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Just curious you mention tires then rear tires did they wear out in the year period and at what mileage.
I run Nitto Invo's which I believe are 220AA UTQG (sp?)

Replaced at 70k and I have roughly 5k on them, almost flush with the wear bars. However, they saw 3-4 track events. I think the outter edge is completely bald on my front left tire.

I'll be replacing them in the near future.

Originally Posted by Terminator
What were your symptoms for motor mounts failing? What was your mileage at the time? Tanx.
felt the slop on the track. I replaced them at 73k, but they were gone before that, I'm sure. Went with RSS mounts, love them.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dhahlen

I run Nitto Invo's which I believe are 220AA UTQG (sp?)

Replaced at 70k and I have roughly 5k on them, almost flush with the wear bars. However, they saw 3-4 track events. I think the outter edge is completely bald on my front left tire.

I'll be replacing them in the near future.

felt the slop on the track. I replaced them at 73k, but they were gone before that, I'm sure. Went with RSS mounts, love them.
When you say gone before that, what do you mean leaking, more interior - engine vibration?

Do you find RSS vibrate more throughout the interior?

Tanx.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread guys! We see a growing number of 996 & turbo owners doing most maintenance items themselves themselves whether preventative or because of a failure. The cost savings from not paying labor fees 100% of the time can be substantial, plus, what better way to learn about your turbo and its mechanicals than DIYing.

All the best!

Mark/Pelican Parts

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thomapa1
Have owned my '03 996TT for just over a year. Bought a modded vehicle from an enthusiast, had 60k miles, I am 3rd owner.
This is my first Porsche.

I typically see many many posts about people spending next to nothing in maintenance per year. My experience has been different.

I budgeted (guesstimated) about $4k for maintenance the first year as I knew it needed tires and brakes as well as some likely minor unexpected things.
I just crossed the $8k mark in maintenance this past year (+$3k in mods) - it has been a long year.

There has only been a few items that were out of the ordinary, everything else is what I would consider 'normal' for a 10 year old turbo vehicle. Here is my breakdown.

Note - I do try to fix it right the first time vs waiting or frankensteining things. Yes if I wrenched everything myself - it would be considerably less, however, alot is very difficult to access for a home mechanic.

Front Rotors/Pads - DIY $550
Tires - $900
Oil Change - $250
Power Steering Pump - $1,500 (previous owners shop botched the GT2 conversion, pumpwas leaking)
Coolant pipe weld (3 accessible pipes) - $1,000
Boost Leak, R&R Diverter valves, F hose, clamps - $800
Oil Change - DIY $100
Coilpacks, plugs - DIY $350
Rear Tires - $500
Fuel Filter, Battery,bleed brakes - DIY $250
Vacuum Leak - $2,000

Hopefully I have tackled the worn out hoses, clamps, connections, etc. and am out of the weeds now.

Just giving an additional data point as new owners come on board. Be prepared.
Thanks for posting.

To be honest, your post is one thing I'm afraid of getting a 911. I've started shopping around for a low mileage/right priced 2002+ 996tt for a few months now, but fear of it becoming a money pit.

I currently drive a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT (and yes, it's no where near a Porsche in terms of performance, design, and prestige). Only costs I've incurred so far at 40k miles with the TL are:

-3rd gear replacement due to 3rd gear popout/clutch assembly (dealer warranty repair no charge after my constant complaining)
-$50 5W-20 oil changes/tire rotation every 8000 miles
-$75 rear differential fluid change at 25,000 mi
-no charge warranty rear head rest spring repair.
-$35 cabin and air filter replacement I did myself b/c it's easy
-I'm soon due for a new set of 4 tires now that will probably set me back $1,200.

It would be helpful if someone can outline or post a link to required 996tt maintenance intervals/mileage points and their associated costs. I consider myself a DIY, but I just don't have the time to do anything major due to the running of my practice.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM
I bought a mint - one previous owner 996 tt with 25k miles. I drive my car ( not a garage queen ) currently on 100k miles. In 6 years my bills thus far amount to 26k $ US. I don't believe people who say it cost them nothing to maintain the turbo. Bollocks!

Last edited by Terminator; 07-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Terminator
When you say gone before that, what do you mean leaking, more interior - engine vibration?

Do you find RSS vibrate more throughout the interior?

Tanx.
It just felt sloppy, it was probably a combination of the engine and trans mounts both being shot.

When I pulled my motor mounts, one was completely blown, leaking, could move it around without an effort. The other had a bit of rigidity, but not much.

The trans mounts, they were worn through 2 of the 3 rubber points.

The RSS mounts, no, no vibration, no increased noise.

However, the GMG trans mounts, oh boy. Lots of noise, no vibration. I hear lots of interest drive train noises now, I can hear everything. Funny enough, no vibration in the cabin that I notice.

It sounds interesting and I don't drive it everyday, so it's not a big deal. If it's your daily, you may want to consider a mount that isn't as stiff (for the trans).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A different perspective