6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Newbie post, first mod is an AUX in on the PCM2! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/312441-newbie-post-first-mod-aux-pcm2.html)

mrvict0r 07-10-2013 03:43 PM

Newbie post, first mod is an AUX in on the PCM2!

9 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. Names Aaron Victor from Las Vegas. Just joined up and am introducing myself.

I recently bought a 2005 Turbo S Cab; my first Porsche.

Car is completely stock as of now and has the PCM2 Navi head unit (Not sure if it has BOSE speakers or not), OEM Hard top, and the 19" wheels.

First modification is already underway. Just sent the head unit out to Becker in NJ to have the AUX in installed. Having the female jack installed in the dummy switch cover on the left side of the radio, am hoping it will be a nice clean install with it is all done. Here are a couple pics of the new ride!

Thanks everyone, looking forward to playing around with this car!

rangerdick 07-10-2013 04:42 PM

Hey, welcome aboard. The Turbo S is a very nice car. Enjoy the ride. Let us know how the becker modification goes. I heard a rumor it is only "mono" and not stereo. Would love to hear otherwise. Beautiful garage too! well organized.

mrvict0r 07-10-2013 04:57 PM

Rangerdick:

I'll let everyone know how it works out. It seems it was this modification or a fm modulator. I figured I would give this a try. That's the first I have heard that it was Mono, but then, nothing says the modification is specifically stereo either. We will see, if its awful I can still try the fm modulator. I'll post a review and completed pictures when it's done.

Thanks!

Aaron

nimski62 07-10-2013 06:45 PM

Why not get a dension... CD+ quality sound unlike FM modulated or the MONO Aux input they are going to mail back to you...

mrvict0r 07-10-2013 08:55 PM

Nimski62:

I did not actually know about the Dension option until you mentioned it. There seems to be no retailers or installers in my area (southern Nevada) so I looked around online to get information and prices for the unit. At $500-600+ for the Dension, I will probably make due with the aux in from Becker, even if its Mono. The factory stereo system seems less than desirable in most of its functions anyways (Navi input, reception and amplification, clarity, AUX in, visual appeal, etc..).

I could not possibly see paying 1/3 of the cost of a fully upgraded and modern unit with all modern controls and usefulness simply to add an AUX in (albeit, a far superior quality AUX in). Id sooner pay the $2000 for a new full function Alpine with all the bells and whistles (not to mention, a navi that does not run on CD's. I mean; seriously porsche.... CD's?) But Ill save that $600 and put it towards a proper head unit upgrade. I actually have an older version the Alpine INEW927 in my Jetta diesel and LOVE it. Will most likely eventually get the new Alpine head unit in the 911.

Haha, All good though, and the Dension is certainly a technically superior option for an AUX in. Thanks for the reply!

Aaron

nimski62 07-10-2013 09:01 PM

Well actually I've heard the mono input they add sounds like telephone audio quality..hopefully they've changed things and it sounds better than that.. however the Dension Gateway 500 lite can be had for around 250 and it does everything you need.. it's what I have!

Also if the Alpine unit is around $2000 for the unit itself, plan on spending over 1k in rewiring/install and buying new door speaker and amps because there is no plug and play unit for our damn fiber optic cars.. everything has to be rewired. I think the Bose sounds good enough to add the dension and call it a day!

mrvict0r 07-10-2013 10:57 PM

nimski62:

Yeah I would totally like the Dension 500. I cant seem to find a lite anywhere, but the full fat 500 seems to be like $400-500 with the cables plus what ever programming is needed. Ill do a review on the aux in cable once its complete. If it is as bad as your saying, i guess I'll look into other options. I don't see how it could be much worse than a well tuned in FM radio station. Apparently the AUX in cable is tapped in after the FM receiver; so it just jumps in front of anything the FM receiver is attempting to send to the radios amplifier. We will see, if it sounds like a 1930's phono player, I guess I'll have to try something else. The Dension 500 seems pretty awesome, but then i would be $400-600 into a radio I'm already not all that happy with heh.

Did you do your own Dension install or did you have a shop do it?

A

nimski62 07-11-2013 04:45 AM

Installed it myself, and then used the computer at the porsche dealer to turn on the cd changer input coding. The tech was very confused and didn't know what I wanted done!

ECS Tuning - Porsche 07-11-2013 09:05 AM

Welcome and congrats on the purchase Aaron. It looks like you found a great example. I would also consider a LED Lighting Kit if you haven't already. Enjoy, and keep us posted on future modification plans ;)

mrvict0r 08-14-2013 08:22 PM

review of Becker AUX in...

Nimski62, your mostly right on the aux in. Though functional, it is a far cry from an acceptable solution to the lack of an AUX in, my review to follow.

The good:
The install was smooth and professional looking. I had Becker install the jack in the blank button cover on the left side of the head unit. Install was very easy and they also replaced my worn out knobs on the radio. Looks brand new! There is no static or interference when using the device. It completely cuts out all FM signal and outputs just what your using in a clear (albeit, a reduced range. see below) solid manor.

The meh:
It is an mono input. This is not an overly awful problem. Both left and right outputs of what ever device your using work, it just does not pan left and right any more.

The bad (and thus, unacceptable):
The input cuts the range of audible frequency on both the upper and lower bandwidths. This has the same effect as turning the bass and treble all the way down, and the mid range all the way up. Listening to jazz is near impossible as you can imagine (the horns in most songs are near painful to listen to.). The vocals are so unpleasant that you have to just lower the volume to a point where its barely audible anyways.

So though it is a clear, static free solution to the lack of an AUX in, the resulting cut in frequency range makes it more or less unusable.

Becker audio gets a 10 out of 10 on customer service. They were fast, helpful and pleasant to deal with. But this solution is a 5 out of 10 on a good day, and a near zero on any other.

I have decided to give the Scosche FM-MOD02 a try before I shell out the $$$ for a replacement head unit or track down a dealer/installer of the dension units. I'll review the FM Modulator once its in my hands!

Thanks for reading everyone.

Aaron

rob76turbo 12-23-2018 10:08 AM

I know this thread is pretty old, but about the pull the trigger on a 05 TTS. I will use the FM modulator until I decide what to replace the PCM 2 with. Thanks for posting up and the input from everyone. Very helpful!