996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Consequences of over-filling oil???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I always change my own did overfill my wife's 2011 rav4 oops when I misread owners manual but quickly caught and remedied. I'm sure your car will be fine=I would drain and do it again myself just to sleep better.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:17 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I bet the knuckleheads only drained the crankcase and forgot the drain the oil tank. Then they added 9 quarts = massive over fill. Can you PM the shop name?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Usually running a quart over max fill level is not a good idea,, excessive pressure,, and especially on our motors with our cam set up..

Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 AM
TMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura about
Woke up this morning, and there are 3 puddles of oil underneath the car now. I've owned this thing for nearly 2 years and there has never been a single drop of oil in my garage.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i'd check the plug closest to the rear bumper. that's the one anyone can tighten. it's reachable. look and see if it's loose. happened to me.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM
zblake will become famous soon enoughzblake will become famous soon enough
It's been previously said in this string, drain it and start over by yourself. If you have the tools and know how to suck the overage out, you can handle the oil change. Buy a low boy quick pump jack from harbor freight and the oil change kit from one of the vendors that has the element, washers, etc and the Porsche filter tool and your good to go. Save a little cash and spend some quality with your ride. After of course the new leak(s) are remedied.

Takes less time to do it yourself than it does to take it to someone.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,,Its not that hard to do...
You just need a few metric wrenches, large low oil pan,and a oil filter wrench for our filters..
There a a few good threads out there ,,so do a search..
You will save a nice amount 0f $$ and know it was done right...
Between you and I ,,I have not changed my cooper/aluminum washers on the drain plugs in the last few changes,, just reversed them...I have seen others not even change the filter O-Ring without problems...Just saying..
Oil,,fliter and filter O-ring and you will be good to go..

Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Just ordered oem filter wrench from ecs there are a lot of cheaper alternatives also but as johnspeed said not hard and you know its done right with that good diy feeling lol.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 PM
TMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura aboutTMWTP has a spectacular aura about
It gets worse...

Today I went out to check on the car and found a few puddles of oil underneath. Figuring it was a loose fitting, I trotted down to my local auto parts store and bought a couple of ramps. Got it on the ramps to see if I could tighten anything that could be leaking. All the sources for leaks (one on the back-side of engine, a small one under pass. side turbo, HUGE one under driver's side turbo) appeared to be coming from air tubing. Sure enough, a good stream of oil was coming from the air-box, and the driver's side turbo inlet piping was COVERED in oil with no visible source of oil above either spot.

At this point my heart sank. Blow-by...and a lot of it. I removed the air-box and found this:

Inlet hose (just after MAF)

From air-box looking towards MAF

Brand-new air filter

I sent these pics to the shop and I am going to give them an opportunity to remedy the situation. If they do so to my satisfaction (ie., free, and better built than before), I'll be happy. If they fail to do so, I'll be contacting my attorney.

Great timing.

Attached Images   

Last edited by TMWTP; 07-14-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
If you continue to do DIY, then the shop will blame you for all the issues.
I would suggest taking the car to Porsche at this stage and make every thing official as issues can pop up later too/

Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Wow, they really topped it off! That sucks. Hope you get it solved without any trouble.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Don't drive it, it's massively over filled if it's coming into the intake like that. Start draining oil out until you get a level on the indicator that's below max. Oil in the intake is likely coming through the PCV, the pressure is pushing it out.

How far away is your shop? The issue is, oil pressure builds as you drive and idle is likely not too hard on it as pressure is low 1-2 bar tops but driving pressure hits 5 bar and with lots of oil you're putting a lot of pressure lots of expensive seals.

Last edited by King James; 07-14-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 PM
That's what I'm concerned about. Good news is I have another car. Bad news is I'm out of town. I gave them instructions to send a flatbed for it while I'm out. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Hmm before I got close to the end of these posts my comment was going to be that a large overfill leads to oil in the intake runners, there are several places there where the oil can pool so even after you get the right amount of oil in the car you can still get the smoking car issue when you turn just the right way or hit the right bump.

Sounds like your Indy definitely dropped the ball on this one. It is a dry sump motor not a closed system and you car relieved itself in the normal way over filled Porsches do.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Should I be concerned about any long-term affects?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consequences of over-filling oil???