996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

991 S pdk sport chrono driving impressions (vs. 996tt)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
991 S pdk sport chrono driving impressions (vs. 996tt)

Ok, so every year or so I get the small itch for something a little newer or different. I Love my car as it is so well sorted to my personal specifications, but sometimes I just can't help test driving a few cars that I think may eclipse the fun factor of my car, without going whole hog on a full blown exotic (i.e., gallardo, f360, etc....). Last year I went through this with a 996 gt3 and after test driving a few it was very clear that I would not enjoy a 6 gt3 as much, and would really miss the torque if I jumped ship from the 996tt.

So then the new 991 comes out and I read all the rave reviews, and without question its good looking (at least to me). So my curiousity is piqued and I go test drive, thinking that if its as good as billed I might be ready to pull the trigger.

Nope! Not even close. Don't get me wrong, the car was fast and fun, very stable and refined, and shifted so fast it was unbelievable. But, my car just felt so much faster and actually, more fun to drive. You could really feel the difference in torque, even though I'm still on stock turbos (albeit with a few mods). I got back in my car and just laughed at how much fun these "old" 996tt's can be. It would be fun to get the updated look, but not at the expense of all the other things I love about my car. Even if a new 991 could be had for exactly what I could get for my car, I'd probably still opt for my car over the 991.

Now, I've never driven a 997 gt3, and maybe that would "scratch that itch" for me. Likewise, I'm sure I would love a 997 turbo, but can't really justify the cost difference when I'm just a set of hybrid turbos away from being able to lay waste to just about anything on the road. So for now I'm going to enjoy my "old" 105k mile 996tt for a while longer!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my impressions. Its easy to forget how amazing our cars are with a little care and just a few relatively cheap mods.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Savnole97 is on a distinguished road
I hear you. I was just surfing used 997tt's, but every time I drive my 996tt I find myself laughing at the power and can't justify the "upgrade". Such a great car for the money it's insane.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM
scsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to beholdscsponger31 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Savnole97
I hear you. I was just surfing used 997tt's, but every time I drive my 996tt I find myself laughing at the power and can't justify the "upgrade". Such a great car for the money it's insane.
Agreed!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Savnole97 is on a distinguished road
And how in the world do you get your car in your signature by the way?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
I got to drive a students 991 c4 with a PDK, It was a great car, handled really well right out of the box but I think I would get bored tracking a PDK car.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I'm a very lucky person. Have a modded/upgraded 996 TT Cab with Tip and a 991S X51 Cab with PDK. Very different cars. The 991 seems to need to be driven (so to speak) to get enjoyable performance. The TT has tons more torque and is much easier to drive, especially in city traffic. Which one do I prefer? Answer is Yes to both. Depends on my mood except for getting miles onto the 991 to get well broken in. No chance of getting rid of either of them in the foreseeable future.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I had the opportunity to drive a 997 GT3RS.

After looking and hearing the car, I thought wow, I think I could get rid of the turbo for that.

After driving the car, I wouldn't do it. The car handled great, sounded great and looked great, but it just didn't have enough push in the back to truly feel like a super car.

I really want a 997TT making about 600whp, with a fully upgraded suspension, but with the rear bumper, rear wing, center exit exhaust and wheels from a GT3RS.

It never hurts to dream.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! That is great that you can swing both! I can totally understand the 991 if keeping the 996 were an option. After all, my daily driver is an SMG BMW M3 which is actually pretty fun to drive and live with in traffic, etc.... The 991 was really fun, but I just couldn't justify the extra 70k or so it would take for me to jump to one.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
I had the opportunity to drive a 997 GT3RS.

After looking and hearing the car, I thought wow, I think I could get rid of the turbo for that.

After driving the car, I wouldn't do it. The car handled great, sounded great and looked great, but it just didn't have enough push in the back to truly feel like a super car.

I really want a 997TT making about 600whp, with a fully upgraded suspension, but with the rear bumper, rear wing, center exit exhaust and wheels from a GT3RS.

It never hurts to dream.
Ah man, its a bummer to hear that. I really want to find something else I like more, but after hearing you say that, I suspect I would feel exactly the same way. I'm a very cost/benefit analysis kind of guy, and for me to make a move the next car would have to be really special or a really, really good deal. And frankly, I can't think of anything that comes close in terms of sheer fun to a nicely modded TT for anything less than stupid money. Sure, it would be fun to have the latest and greatest to show off to friends, but I don't drive a turbo because its cool...I do it because its a blast.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Just to clarify, my car is making over 500wtq, so the torque difference versus a GT3RS is huge.

For someone who's happy driving a stock 996TT, I'm sure they would love the GT3RS.

Scottslaw,

That doesn't apply to you.

Later, Steve

Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
I my case, K16G billets in the future, and still will be way ahead of the 991's.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 08-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM
oldspool is a jewel in the rougholdspool is a jewel in the rougholdspool is a jewel in the rougholdspool is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the update! I get a similar itch periodically. My personal preference is to get a numbers matching '73 RS before I go with the GT3RS...just my personal preference. The old stuff is iconic in its own way.

Originally Posted by Scottslaw
Ok, so every year or so I get the small itch for something a little newer or different. I Love my car as it is so well sorted to my personal specifications, but sometimes I just can't help test driving a few cars that I think may eclipse the fun factor of my car, without going whole hog on a full blown exotic (i.e., gallardo, f360, etc....). Last year I went through this with a 996 gt3 and after test driving a few it was very clear that I would not enjoy a 6 gt3 as much, and would really miss the torque if I jumped ship from the 996tt.

So then the new 991 comes out and I read all the rave reviews, and without question its good looking (at least to me). So my curiousity is piqued and I go test drive, thinking that if its as good as billed I might be ready to pull the trigger.

Nope! Not even close. Don't get me wrong, the car was fast and fun, very stable and refined, and shifted so fast it was unbelievable. But, my car just felt so much faster and actually, more fun to drive. You could really feel the difference in torque, even though I'm still on stock turbos (albeit with a few mods). I got back in my car and just laughed at how much fun these "old" 996tt's can be. It would be fun to get the updated look, but not at the expense of all the other things I love about my car. Even if a new 991 could be had for exactly what I could get for my car, I'd probably still opt for my car over the 991.

Now, I've never driven a 997 gt3, and maybe that would "scratch that itch" for me. Likewise, I'm sure I would love a 997 turbo, but can't really justify the cost difference when I'm just a set of hybrid turbos away from being able to lay waste to just about anything on the road. So for now I'm going to enjoy my "old" 105k mile 996tt for a while longer!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my impressions. Its easy to forget how amazing our cars are with a little care and just a few relatively cheap mods.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
the 991s is baddass for a stock 911 esp the exhaust note in throttle blips in sport mode! i loved it in spite of its "compromise" btw "sport" car and daily driver and could easily see having one if i was still into leasing/dumping every 3 yrs

but it's nothing at all like the "neck snapping hang on for dear life" of my modestly modded old 96t lol

Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I test drove one last year as well. Love the looks, interior, sound, etc. The only thing it is lacking is torque but the car makes up for that in most other areas.

That said, the 991S vert I drove had a $130k sticker?! Definitely not worth THAT much!! A straight up trade for my 996TT, that I would obviously consider.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yeah..I had that same itch for a while now...was DYING to get back into another Pcar. After shopping around..I decided I didn't want "settle" for ANOTHER 996 turbo (no offense, but had one), and didn't want to belly up $80k for a 997turbo right now.
So I "settled" on a SL65. Was never much of a Benz guy, but always wanted one of these. Quite frankly, I am very happy with my decision right now. This is the first car that I have driven to the track and ran 11's, stock. I'll get a 997 turbo someday...just not anytime soon...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 S pdk sport chrono driving impressions (vs. 996tt)