996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Strange noise while accelerating past 100MPH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DSCOFF
If it were the mirrors wouldn't all of us have the issue?
If you are sure the front trunk lid is down like I mentioned in an earlier post then I'd check the side windows.

It could be one is not adjusted right and air is escaping from inside the cabin past a tiny gap in the side window and seal.

You might be able to sort of confirm this by having the cabin vent fan on high or totally off.

Or having a passenger with a suction cup on a stick pull the glass in or push it out some when the noise is present.

You have to be careful of course as you are driving quite fast and you have to focus on your driving.

If you think mirrors then fold the mirrors and take a run and see if that makes a difference.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
someone put some dear whistle on your car. Damn!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Punko is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pumalex
someone put some dear whistle on your car. Damn!
Stop it.

I took out the three pieces in the frunk around the battery.

Will check the window seals, will have to try a run with windows open.

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Punko is on a distinguished road
Must be an air leak at the window or something to do with the mirror.

At speed, window closed, get the noise.

At speed, window open, no noise.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Type911 is on a distinguished road
I have the exact same noise in the video above, starts at 104 mph. Noise is present with climate control off or on. Annoying as hell. Any new ideas or resolutions ??

Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Type911
I have the exact same noise in the video above, starts at 104 mph. Noise is present with climate control off or on. Annoying as hell. Any new ideas or resolutions ??
I recently had my windshield replaced due to a crack. The noise went away after that, I've now taken the car above 140mph several times with no noise.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:05 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
It is the rubber seal around the front glass/ renew only this and you are done

Last edited by winnigt2; 09-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:26 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Yup. Rubber on the top of windshield. Do a test and put some tape on the edges and the sound wont be there.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
Mine was also windshield. Get inside car, windows up and put blue racers tape along all side window seals. If you still have the noise, probably windshield. I had shop redo windshield install twice and still is not perfect but way much better han it was.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:40 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
it is not the windshield........if you renew the windshield and install it with the old rubber seal / the noise is still there

Old 09-04-2023, 07:09 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Coilovers like on the GT3 bind up with steering inputs. The Bilsteins B16s are notorious for doing this. The solution is to install a thrust bearing on the lower spring perch so that the coil can actually twist a bit instead of binding up and then releasing. I imagine this is worse when things get hot as the spring expands a bit due to temperature which makes the binding even worse.

Make sure you check your adjustable drop link ends to confirm they're all tight as a loose one can make a similar noise.