996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY In Tank Fuel Pump Upgrade. (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:51 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 993GT
Hey John,
Can use this as a replacement, seems to work for a couple years before replacement again. http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/27093/10002/-1
Cheers,
Rob
A little less on Amazon BTW.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM
turboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to behold
I am installing a walbro in the stock basket. Anybody have a picture of what they did for a relay wiring setup?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 PM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
I just dropped in a 455 and let the stock relay etc take care of it, no issues at all.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:14 PM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Will need more air down to the GT28's

Name:  Intake1_zpskgyihdsy.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  Intake_zpszghpgreg.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  Intake2_zpstr8dqdzh.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  Intake4_zps9wqmsoyg.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  Intake5_zpsawygsbrt.jpg
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0365_zpsvimczvol.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  209.8 KB

Old 04-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Looking good John. Innovative intake!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
lots of work when fender well intakes work better and easier to fab. less chance of rubbing a hole in the tubing as well

Old 04-02-2015, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
lots of work when fender well intakes work better and easier to fab. less chance of rubbing a hole in the tubing as well
Well the engine is already out so total time to get them on so far is about 20mins and about the same to trim to size when the engine goes back in.You wont rub thru it either when the heat shrink cools the pipe retains its bent shape and it feels plastic coated

As far as fenderwell intakes go IMO they are comical, every set I see looks like its been installed by Mickey Mouse with a big hammer to get clearance and the pipes are smaller diameter than I use anyway, then they are normally mated to a big ugly badly fitting intercooler with little or no ducting or sealing so that a fair % of the cold air getting pulled into the rear intake actually goes around and not through the core. In short I think I would rather sit on a fire ant nest naked with my butt covered in peanut butter before i fitted those !!!!!

911 Tuning Fenderwell intake kit 1000 miles after being fitted
Filters love where they sit !!!
Name:  Intake7_zpsuueqdc9y.jpg
Size:  98.0 KB

Was it rubbing the tyre at all
Name:  Intake6_zpshpjvsgx2.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  78.5 KB

Never mind we can 'relieve' that pipe a bit
Name:  Intake9_zps2fld1awm.jpg
Size:  74.9 KB

And its smaller than mine to start with
Name:  Intake8_zpsusmbusuh.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  53.4 KB

Even Baby Oleg in the background is giving it sideways looks !!!!

Last edited by johnny.dangerous; 04-02-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
Well the engine is already out so total time to get them on so far is about 20mins and about the same to trim to size when the engine goes back in.You wont rub thru it either when the heat shrink cools the pipe retains its bent shape and it feels plastic coated

As far as fenderwell intakes go IMO they are comical, every set I see looks like its been installed by Mickey Mouse with a big hammer to get clearance and the pipes are smaller diameter than I use anyway, then they are normally mated to a big ugly badly fitting intercooler with little or no ducting or sealing so that a fair % of the cold air getting pulled into the rear intake actually goes around and not through the core. In short I think I would rather sit on a fire ant nest naked with my butt covered in peanut butter before i fitted those !!!!!

911 Tuning Fenderwell intake kit 1000 miles after being fitted
Filters love where they sit !!!

Was it rubbing the tyre at all

Never mind we can 'relieve' that pipe a bit

And its smaller than mine to start with

Even Baby Oleg in the background is giving it sideways looks !!!!
to each his own. poor fitment doesn't mean it s a bad idea it means the mechanic was inept at doing the job. mine are 2.5" go behind the i/c (which are 4.5" and use the factory ductwork) not on top of it. no rubbing at all anywhere.
i actually have a new idea which I'm going to try in the near future that will allow for even more flow

Old 04-02-2015, 05:13 AM
OK so have you had to flatten the pipes to get them past the tyres? We have a fair bit of rain in the UK which accounts for the stat of the filters but almost EVERY FW install ive seen has battered pipes and it must be 'interesting ' getting those coolers in to the factory brackets and ducting and sealed. But my intakes are still bigger diameter than yours and easier to fit !!!! And a lot cheaper I think.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 AM
Banned
OK so have you had to flatten the pipes to get them past the tyres? We have a fair bit of rain in the UK which accounts for the stat of the filters but almost EVERY FW install ive seen has battered pipes and it must be 'interesting ' getting those coolers in to the factory brackets and ducting and sealed. But my intakes are still bigger diameter than yours and easier to fit !!!! And a lot cheaper I think.
no not flattened at all. as for the i/c theres a thread a member did yrs ago detailing the entire build. cheaper unlikely but again to each his own.why use piping bigger than the inlet of the turbos? it wont flow any faster than the inlet will allow. ill take the straighter shorter path of air that doesn't have a hot engine sitting behind the air box any day. i need the room in the engine bay for the 3" y pipe and bov's which won't fit with a factory airbag installed

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	417550  

Last edited by 32krazy!; 04-02-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Tim the reason to use bigger hoses than the intake diameter of the turbo is air volume to the turbo, same as some people run -10 lines to a -6 fuel rail and fireman use big hoses with small ends !!!!, for example a tuned big block chevy would empty and engine dyno room of air in seconds but thats only going through say 8 small holes (with dual quads) !!!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Banned
Tim the reason to use bigger hoses than the intake diameter of the turbo is air volume to the turbo, same as some people run -10 lines to a -6 fuel rail and fireman use big hoses with small ends !!!!, for example a tuned big block chevy would empty and engine dyno room of air in seconds but thats only going through say 8 small holes (with dual quads) !!!
I'm not tim btw. close but no cigar. big hose small end = more pressure not volume. an10 to an6 rails makes no sense at all to me. big hose big end =more volume less pressure

must be the metric system in the uk!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Well the bigger hose surely holds more of a 'reserve' of air same as the bigger fuel line would hold more of a 'reserve' of fuel and as the turbo is in effect a pump then the diameter of the intake to that pump is irrelevant compared to how much air it is drawing in! Either way I think we are both in agreement that we would not fit smaller pipes and always fit the largest pipes we can.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:46 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
That poor intake pipe looks like it fell off and got bounced around in the wheel well a little bit!!

I'll be trying to stuff 3" intake pipes off of my turbos soon! As it looks right now...it will be a challenge!

Old 04-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
That poor intake pipe looks like it fell off and got bounced around in the wheel well a little bit!!

I'll be trying to stuff 3" intake pipes off of my turbos soon! As it looks right now...it will be a challenge!
If you could buy a 3" pipe that was an oval and can 'lobster tail' the bends maybe it can be done but you could fit 3" pipe like mine easily !!!!, mine is 2.75" and thats all I need.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY In Tank Fuel Pump Upgrade. (pic heavy)