996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

F***ing CA smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
How in the world did they find that???!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:42 AM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
If a tech can look inside with a flashlight and find it... consider it banned. The original intent with the CARB certified parts was actually a deal via SEMA. The intention was to allow performance parts that didn't throw emissions out the window. The problem is that the certification process is expensive and lengthy AND leaves no possibility for someone making parts for small production vehicles [but fine if you produce parts for a SBC.]

TO ORIGINAL POSTER: Thinking about your situation: I suspect that you are asking for more trouble if you don't replace your DV with stock. Is it BS, sure! You have already been flagged and you only have the informantion on your copy of the report. Do you really think they didn't specify internally exactly what they found? Can they make you a lot more miserable? Oh YES. Do you want to have to bring it in every year for directed emissions tests? Just swap them out and get your certification and move on.

BTW: If you aren't running too much boost, you might consider swapping to Factory GT2 DVs. They reliably hold a fair amount more boost, and ..are FACTORY. I suspect they are superior to what a lot of tuners would have you believe.
GL!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:47 AM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skremese
Have an '01 Turbo that is stock except for two EVOMS diverted valves that I put on getting ready for a flash. Had to have it smog checked (every 2 years here I the great Republic of CA) and while it PASSED all instrumented tests the facility failed it as TAMPERED. They said the diverters need an EO number from the state.

Wtf? On a 991 there would be no way to even see that. I could just put the stock diverters back but that's a PITA. Anyone know of a friendly smog place in the Sacramento region?
Like the last poster said if you are stock there is no reason you need these DVs and Bosch 710n DVs look exactly like stock but perform far better. I would go with a pair of those and be done with it. Sell the evoms units online.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:57 AM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
Agree. I'm going to put back the original DVs. Was looking at some threads to reacquaint myself with the process. I see some folks are recommending a 2-3 inch engine drop. Sounds pretty straightforward except for one poster stating the boost hoses need to be removed. True?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Your kidding me on OBDII cars they are going to do a code read and inspection now. No more tailpipe sniffer. Opens up cams and headwork on a ton of cars that in the past would never be able pass before.

Though in all honesty they should just sniff the car and if if blows clean let it pass irrespective of the modifications.

Viable mods are basically a instant fail now though, they flag my Viper for non factory air filters, not a intake just the filters.
My experience since I returned to CA in 2004 is the code read to check for any DTCs and to verify the readiness monitors are all set to complete has always been done.

My cars have also be subjected to the sniffer test. The Boxster gets on put on rollers while Turbo sits on the pavement outside of the test bay and the tech revs the engine (1500 and 2500) with the tranny in neutral.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:23 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
assuming you mean "visual"?! holy cr*p.

this is what happens when "progressives" are in charge of "progress"
Duh Visual, watching football and typing is not my strong suit.

Yeah flagged and told to come back with it fixed. Green OEM filters at the time were impossible to find had to borrow a set from a local viper owner who had them in the garage.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:40 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't had any issues with my guy in SoCal

I'm running the 710N's, but had Evoms diverters on when I had it smogged the first time at AAA, that was about 4 years ago, have had it smogged twice since then (not at AAA), but now have 710N's which are a factory audi part number. I actually prefer these anyway, they just work, and don't seem to have a high failure rate. They are smaller than the Evoms, and fit better IMO.

Car looks fairly stock in the engine bay. I do have the aftermarket exhaust, and other go fast parts, but most of these are under the car, my guy attempts to look under there, car is low, he can't see much of anything, then asks if everything is stock, I just say that is how it was when I bought it. I remind him that it's AWD, he runs the limited tests (since it's AWD), and sends me on my way

Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Yeah flagged and told to come back with it fixed. Green OEM filters at the time were impossible to find had to borrow a set from a local viper owner who had them in the garage.
this whole thing about visual inspection is crazy and they wouldn't know evoms from 710's or none i bet lol. can you imagine having a flat panel bmc?.. and they send you home to get a paper mahle! lol but i guess i won't find out for another year.

but at the end of the day.. i'm sure the state knows best

Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 PM
XwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud of
this is why i will NEVER register my car in this state.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
this whole thing about visual inspection is crazy and they wouldn't know evoms from 710's or none i bet lol. can you imagine having a flat panel bmc?.. and they send you home to get a paper mahle! lol but i guess i won't find out for another year.

but at the end of the day.. i'm sure the state knows best
I have seen vipers with heads/cams/controller/race cats pass just fine, and I have been flagged for aftermarket filters.

The state is just completely screwed up. My 51 Shoebox shoots flames and gets 8 mpg on the freeway and the vented gas tank alone pollutes more then any modern car but I get a pass.

As long as I pass the sniffer that's all that should be required.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
well, there's always AZ lol

Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
try a different smogger to stop the tearz. I've had my car smogged over 4x in this great state. Never failed. not even with muffler diverter valves.

oh well...

I'm curious what was your "disposition" like that day?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 PM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ttpopo
try a different smogger to stop the tearz. I've had my car smogged over 4x in this great state. Never failed. not even with muffler diverter valves.

oh well...

I'm curious what was your "disposition" like that day?
I don't think my disposition had anything to do with it. I was talking with the office lady while the techs worked on the car - didn't have a chance to talk to them at all until they came in with the paper showing FAIL & TAMPERED. The guy was nice about it and gave me the explanations. He was also apologetic and stated he has to follow BS state guidelines. He wouldn't overlook it.

Oh well. I'm going to contact EVOMS on the off chance they have an EO number, if not I'll sell them after putting stockers back.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
that sux. oh well, just go to the next guys w/o the shiny bits. You'll definitely not have an issue. You probably got some pissed off tech. it will all even out...

Old 12-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Urban has a spectacular aura aboutUrban has a spectacular aura about
I purchased my car with AP diverter valves in place so would that raise any red flags in a few years?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F***ing CA smog