996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Competition TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Banned
TrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to behold
Competition TT

There have been few documented cases of Porsche Turbo's in competition. Especially in the states. I happen to run Time Trials with NARRA (North American Road Race Association) and with NASA (National Auto Sport Association). I finished 3rd in points with NARRA in 2013 only attending 2 events. I also hold lap records at multiple tracks with both organizations.

NASA is moving to a double national format with East and West coast national events. The east coast event at my home track, Road Atlanta in Georgia, and the west coast event at Sonoma Raceway in Cali. I intend on attending both events and of course trying to win both. Thought I would post up on my progress throughout the year and the changes made to get to the championship.

Here is my tentative schedule for 2014. I may not attend a couple events if class attendance is low. But I have to attend 5 days (not events) to qualify for nationals.

Barber - NASA Feb 15-16
Road Atlanta - NASA March 15-16
Road Atlanta - NARRA April 11-13
VIR - NASA May 2-4
VIR - NARRA June 6-8
Road Atlanta - NASA June 13-15
Road Atlanta - NASA Aug 1-3
Nationals - NASA Aug 28-31
VIR - NASA Oct 3-5
Nationals - NASA 2 Nov 1-2
Road Atlanta - NASA Dec 6-7

For those that don't know time trials with NASA and NARRA have contingencies so if you win, you get tires as a reward. 2 tires are awarded each day for the fastest time in class each day. I haven't paid for a set of track tires since 2011, and won well over 20k in tires in that span attending limited events (usually ones where enough competitors are present to win tires). This year I hope to add to my stockpile to have several tires when the championships arrive.

I hope this experience adds something to the community. I plan to share my 7 years of experience in Turbo 911's to help other people interested in taking their TT's to the track. The 996 TT is not the best platform stock, but it's potential as a track star has been hugely overlooked. With some smart, simple, not so extensive modifications, you can take this car and run with ANYTHING.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Dez

Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned
TrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to beholdTrackHeavyTT is a splendid one to behold
About the car: 2003 Porsche Turbo

I purchased the car in late 2006 with 28,000 miles on it. Car came with K24 Turbo's and a tune with Techart wheels and a Misha GT2 wing. My first mods were brake pads and fluid, JIC coilovers and an H&R sway bar. I bought some stock turbo twists that came with bald mismatched Pirelli tires. Did a DE and managed some respectable 1:45 lap times (Road Atlanta) first time out in the car. As a sunroof car, she was quite heavy, and I’m well over 200 lbs myself, so tracking weight was 3700 lbs initially.
Managed to get into a NASA time trial event in early 2007 at Road Atlanta in her second event ever, which happened to be a time trial, my first TT ever, and second event ever in the car. In my nervousness I gridded early and ended up surrounded by a grand am driver in a 997 cup car, another cup car, a viper, evo and other race prepped cars all on slicks. I still had the bald mismatched tires on the car.
Feeling like I jumped the gun on that grid position.

Anywho, after figuring out that the pirellis had ZERO grip under braking on the first lap, I managed to PASS the 996 Cup on the back straight (thanks torque). I managed the 5th fastest time of the day a 1:38 and the only car in the vicinity on street tires. Not bad for a car that's not supposed to be very good on the track.
By the end of the year I had a good feel for the car and managed to get her down to a 1:32.7 at Road Atlanta with pretty much the same setup and slapping on some MPSC. Even today, 6 years later, you are hard pressed to find cars doing that time on anything less than Hoosiers or Slicks of some sort. Like I said, can run with anything.

Other times as a full weight street car included.

Barber – 1:40.0 on bald MPSC
Barber – 1:36 on scrub yokohama slicks (NASA lap record at the time)
CMP – 1:39 on scrub yokohama slicks (NASA lap record at the time)
VIR – 2:07 on used heat cycled out R6’s

Fast forward to 2010 I lucked into a friend selling his entire aero and suspension kit including many parts from Porsche motorsports (which are quite pricey parts). Over the next couple of years I continued to reduce weight bits at a time, first taking out the radio, then shaving the carpet, then the seatbelts (have roll bar). Even ended up taking out the AWD to avoid the penalty that NASA assessed to AWD vehicles. Added some other bits and pieces in the drivetrain as well.

Today’s mod list:
- Porsche motorsports F/R Adj Control Arms.
- Custom Valved JIC Coilovers
- Porsche motorsports non adj dog bones
- Tarrett rear toe arms with bump steer
- TRG,Tarret Drop Links
- Toe locking plates
- GT3 Sways F/R
- RWD conversion
- Solid transmission mount.
- Tilton 5.5” clutch (cup car) and “cheese grater” flywheel
- CCW and Forgestar Wheels
- Solid Subframe Bushings
- Wevo Engine Mounts
- Forge Boost Hose Kit
- Getty Turbo Decklid with 61” wing
- Ebay Aero Front Spoiler with homemade splitter and Cup undertray
- GMG Roll Bar
- Gutted GT3 Doors
- CF Hood
- GT3 sheetmetal roof panel
- Factory K24’s
- OTS Tune
- Intake

The vast majority of this list is suspension adjustment and reliability. The factory rubber just doesn’t hold up over time under heavy loads and the TT doesn’t come equipped with much adjustment range. Had the TT come equipped like a GT3 or GT2, much of it wouldn’t have been needed.

Car is now a stripper, completely gutted, and at it’s lightest weighs about 2850. I run with passenger seat, spare wheel in front boot, stock hood and some other additions when running slicks with NASA or with NARRA which has a higher weight/power ratio requirement.

Here she is today.

On Forgestars

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6634.jpg
Views:	1057
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	316029   Click image for larger version

Name:	hirez_070317_0764.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	316030   Click image for larger version

Name:	1017331_10151793610613453_1681126458_n1_zps9c701c9e.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	316031   Click image for larger version

Name:	0k6x7960_zpsd590df75.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	316032  

Last edited by TrackHeavyTT; 12-30-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned
For those who wonder what I mean by this car has huge potential. I study laps from pro racing regularly. The fastest of 997 Cups with drivers from supercup like Faulkner, Edwards and Bleekemolen plus the best American Cup drivers like Keen, Pumpelly and Lally have run a 1:24.0 in qualifying on slicks at Road Atlanta.

My fastest time is a 1:26.3, which I've done twice. In December of 2012 on sticker A6's and then again in March of 2013 on A6's that had 15 heat cycles on them. Needless to say, there is more time in the car.

Here's a video from April. I'm chasing a good friend of mine in and MTI built 600 whp Unlimited class Corvette. Car has about 300k in it, carbon everywhere, huge diffuser.

Last edited by TrackHeavyTT; 12-30-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
Great post! What suspension/aero mods have you done?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Banned
The second post will be a pretty detailed write up on the car. Still working on that. Been adding bits and pieces for 6 years so I have to remember what's on there. It's not fancy. The framework is still OEM: engine, brakes, gear ratio's, subframes, uprights, bodywork with smart upgrades and weight reduction. So far, a minimalist approach. Still have a ways to go to get it where I want it though. Still trying to figure out what to tackle next. Car is potent though.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Dez, looking forward to 2014, Thanks for putting this up! although I compete in the Z06, This year also want to improve the Turbo on the track as it always seems to end up there

Old 12-30-2013, 06:07 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Subscribed! This will be great, specially those of us looking to do more events in our turbos. I did my first one in my turbo at VIR last year and it was addicting.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Sub'd

Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
What kind of weight reduction did you do?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Agree this is a great platform and has huge potential. Weight out certainly does help the cause. I'm prepping mine for next season as well- very addicting. Looking forward to hearing more about your car/details and second the Aero request. What class are you running with nasa? The guys who built my roll bar and setup the suspension Tony Colicchio I believe took national champ this year in his class. I've seen his laps and they are sick!!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:39 AM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
Great post! Who revalved your JIC's?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Cool. I'm going to try to catch you at least once at Road Atlanta! Good luck in 2014.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
excellent thread and great parts list. functional not fancy.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Banned
I have added details about the car in post #2 including aero and suspension modifications.

Originally Posted by evil 996tt
Great post! Who revalved your JIC's?
I shipped them to the (former now I guess) US distributor for the JIC coilovers Jon and Cross-NA.

Going to upgrade coilovers soon though. I like the ease of single adjustables. In learning about suspension tuning, I've found that turning ***** should be the last thing you do. So I'm thinking about the Ohlins Road and Track singles. I really only want something that will go over big bumps better.

Originally Posted by landjet
What kind of weight reduction did you do?
Pretty much everything you can do without cutting.

Originally Posted by Etchhead
Agree this is a great platform and has huge potential. Weight out certainly does help the cause. I'm prepping mine for next season as well- very addicting. Looking forward to hearing more about your car/details and second the Aero request. What class are you running with nasa? The guys who built my roll bar and setup the suspension Tony Colicchio I believe took national champ this year in his class. I've seen his laps and they are sick!!
I run with NASA in TT1. Minimum is 5.5, I have never run below 6.0 though, so I have room to work. Trying to decide if I want to make slicks work and keep the weight where it is, or spend the money it takes or lose the 100 lbs it will take to max out on DOT's.

A7's come out this year!!!!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
With those K24s you could easily get more power with an 18G upgrade- would that put you over the 5.5 threshold! Love that wing and will look back at post 2 to see the make, if not there please advise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.