996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What have you been charged to fix coolant hoses?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM
bmwtmx has a spectacular aura aboutbmwtmx has a spectacular aura about
What have you been charged to fix coolant hoses?

My shop is at $5k to fix all of the coolant hoses on the motor. That is epoxy and pinning new hoses, all new gaskets, etc. Whatever is in the kit. Seems awfully expensive so what have you paid?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmwtmx
My shop is at $5k to fix all of the coolant hoses on the motor. That is epoxy and pinning new hoses, all new gaskets, etc. Whatever is in the kit. Seems awfully expensive so what have you paid?
Find a new shop... I paid $3K all in with all 8 coolant fitting welded by an FAA certified welder (20 hours labor for R/I of the engine including removal of the coolant manifolds, plus $800 for the weld job).

27 track days later, zero issues. Additionally, I did not buy the aftermarket fittings as my shop favored removing, cleaning, and welding the original fittings.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
When mine was done
Engine R&R 1950.00
Pipes welding and parts and labor : 1734.00 (350.00 parts included in there)

This is typical shop rate. If you are having other things done at the same time, the R&R a one time fee.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Who welds them.. I have mine out and was going to do but can't get to it to do it.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
Who welds them.. I have mine out and was going to do but can't get to it to do it.
There is a guy in my area that has done a ton of these on TTs and GT3s. Zero issues on any of them and pretty much all of them are track cars. The guy that welds them is an FAA licensed welder and incredibly skilled. Ever seen a coke can cut in half and welded back together? He's in Denver so you'd have to ship the manifolds out to him after they are removed.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have a number or email.. I have time to box them.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
gmg in cali (global motorsports group) you send them your parts and they can weld them up

Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by pat
Do you have a number or email.. I have time to box them.
PM with contact info sent...

Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
I don't see how this job is so expensive. Buy the materials for 10$ and do it yourself

Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
I don't see how this job is so expensive. Buy the materials for 10$ and do it yourself
R/I of the engine not to mention removal of the coolant manifolds which entails pretty extensive disassembly of the engine is not something most guys are equipped to tackle. Then there is the equipment and skill needed to properly weld aluminum. Yeah, I see why it's pricey..

Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
R/I of the engine not to mention removal of the coolant manifolds which entails pretty extensive disassembly of the engine is not something most guys are equipped to tackle. Then there is the equipment and skill needed to properly weld aluminum. Yeah, I see why it's pricey..
Well, I meant the epoxy route....seems better than 5k. Dissasembly may suck, but it's all bolts and nuts. Most would be surprised what they can do if they tried

Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Well, I meant the epoxy route....seems better than 5k. Dissasembly may suck, but it's all bolts and nuts. Most would be surprised what they can do if they tried
Epoxy is not a long term solution. $5k is a rip off. $3-3.5K is more like it to properly have them all welded.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
bmwtmx has a spectacular aura aboutbmwtmx has a spectacular aura about
Well this sucks. My shop stands by $5k for the pin and epoxy route. My other shop is not as good at the water cooled cars (at least as far as this is concerned) but he said labor on 30 hours plus the kit. I called Champion Motorsports for an estimate and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by bmwtmx
Well this sucks. My shop stands by $5k for the pin and epoxy route. My other shop is not as good at the water cooled cars (at least as far as this is concerned) but he said labor on 30 hours plus the kit. I called Champion Motorsports for an estimate and they had no idea what I was talking about.
I would talk to a couple of shops and have them give you a quote to drop the motor and remove the coolant manifolds. You can them send them out to get them properly welded, and then have your shop reinstall it. Labor for the R/I should not exceed $2500. Welding of all 8 pipes should be about $1000-1200.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
Rxbike - where did you have yours welded in NorCal?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What have you been charged to fix coolant hoses?