996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

high speed power loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM
nimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nicenimski62 is just really nice
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Though it hasn't been tested yet I think I know what the problem is based on some info from my mechanic. So Saturday, I had a brake fire on the track. FIRE! Master cylinder failed and the rear brakes baked and caught on fire. The car progressively slowed over the course of a lap and then just stopped and shut off just after I got off the track to pit lane. The rear brakes completely locked up. heat welded themselves to the rear rotors until broken loose by the tow truck.

After all day figuring out the issue was the master cylinder, had to piece meal some brakes together from some spares a friend had. But they were all C2 brakes. Master cylinder and front brakes on my rear. The front calipers of the C2 fit but have much bigger calipers and possibly thinner rotors because my rear pads were scrubbing with the C2 fronts bolted on.

We think similar to what happened with the fire, when the car senses rear brakes scrubbing it cuts power temporarily and intermittently. There is no other explanation for why the two events happened simultaneously. Once my rear calipers are rebuild will bolt on and try again. Think it will fix the issue.
Its probably the PSM system kicking in due to improper brake setup.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If that is the case then PSI has abilities far beyond what anyone thought possible because mine is disconnected.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:33 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Check that one of your CATS has not become unseated. This caused an intermittent boost problem for me that gave no codes, and data logging couldn't find it either. Only removing the exhaust and inspecting the CATS revealed the blockage.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No cats. Straight pipes.