996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question about changing brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:45 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Question about changing brake pads

I just got a box of Mintex low dust pads for the street (thanks to Mike at A.W.E.). Is it necessary to replace the vibration dampers when swapping pads? I know you track junkies out there swap pads frequently, so I imagine there must be a way to reuse them.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about changing brake pads

Originally posted by roadsterdoc
I just got a box of Mintex low dust pads for the street (thanks to Mike at A.W.E.). Is it necessary to replace the vibration dampers when swapping pads? I know you track junkies out there swap pads frequently, so I imagine there must be a way to reuse them.
Did he give you the rears as well? I bought the fronts many months ago, but had to hold off on the rears as they weren't in yet.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
No rears available. No date given, but he does keep checking!

So, how about those vibration dampers...can they be reused?

Old 10-02-2005, 10:02 AM
No rears available. No date given, but he does keep checking!

So, how about those vibration dampers...can they be reused?
Rats and I dunno. I would assume that they can? How damaged are they?

Old 10-02-2005, 08:08 PM
I was able to remove the pads easily without disturbing the vibration dampers. Piece of cake. I guess I will find out tomorrow if there is excessive vibration or squeal!

Old 10-02-2005, 08:15 PM
I was able to remove the pads easily without disturbing the vibration dampers. Piece of cake. I guess I will find out tomorrow if there is excessive vibration or squeal!
Keep me posted! I am about to do the same with my fronts (I guess). I was hoping that I could do front and rear at the same time.

What did you use to compress the pistons on the calipers?

Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 PM
ar38070 is on a distinguished road
You can buy a pad spreader. Or if you are cheap like me get a piece of wood about 4" by 12" and 1/4" thick. Once the pads are out slip this in, put it against the pistons and leverage against the rotor.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
I used a simple C-clamp. Be sure to check your brake fluid resevoir. If it's full, remove some fluid to prevent overflow when compressing the pistons.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:00 PM
I used a simple C-clamp. Be sure to check your brake fluid resevoir. If it's full, remove some fluid to prevent overflow when compressing the pistons.
Or just place a towel around the outside of the resevoir (old trick) to catch the overflow if you don't have a method for removing the excess fluid.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:34 AM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
Or just take your car to RUF in Carrollton (3.5 hr drive) and let them do it for $100 in labor.

They have a lot of goodies to consider while you're there.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
vibration damper? is that the shim? if so, I've re-used them before on my previous cars without problem. just clean them up and put on some disc brake quiet grease

Old 10-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by djantlive
vibration damper? is that the shim? if so, I've re-used them before on my previous cars without problem. just clean them up and put on some disc brake quiet grease
It is a shim with detents that fit into the piston. I'm not sure if they are all metal or if they have other material as well. There's a drawing here (as well as a decent writeup):

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...iy&code=diy_bp

I read somewhere that you're not supposed to use anti-squeal grease on Porsche brakes. That doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done though.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:50 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Yeah, if the shims aren't rusted, you can reuse. I'm not sure why brake disc quiet can't be used on porsche but if that's the case, I'd follow it.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:53 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
I've been using same squeel pads for a couple yrs.
I just clean all w/spray brake cleaner...........then I brush on a dab of the goop...shoot, what is that stuff...I've been using the same can for so many yrs I don't recall........I brush it in the center of the flat side of the squeel pad (helps it mate better w/back of the brake pad)........then I just slide the squeel pad down in place.

There's an old DIY over on Rennlist in the archieves or that one on Renntech.

Last edited by GreggT; 10-03-2005 at 07:56 PM.