996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:14 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
Shifting

I've had my '02 996TT for a few weeks now, but had my first extended time driving it over the weekend. I love it!

When I got back in my Audi this morning to drive to work I was reminded how great and easy the Audi is to shift. It is light years better than the porsche (I don't think I can overstate this.) In thinking back through the cars I've owned or driven, I've never thought too much about the actual act of shifting. Each car is different. Even my Fiat Spider shifted like butter after I replaced the synchros, granted the throw was about 15".

Is it the shifter or the transmission? The car has 37,500 miles on it.

I could accept that it is me, but the differences between the two cars is quite striking. The clutch is moderately heavier, but not that bad. In fact my friend's 996 clutch is much heavier than mine. We both agreed that shifting my car was not a great experience, but pressing the gas pedal was pretty amazing.

I've looked through the threads I can find, but nothing really conclusive came out of it. I was hoping for, "yep, you just replace the schnitzer valve" or something.

Anybody have any thoughts to share?

Thanks-
Chris

Old 10-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
yeah just buy a numeric shifter

Old 10-06-2014, 06:18 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
yeah just buy a numeric shifter

+1. No regrets.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:47 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
OR a 997 short shifter..

Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
Small sample size so far. So shifting that is not easy or smooth is due to the shifter and is common to 996TT?

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
+1. No regrets.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:10 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I really disliked the OEM 996TT shifter and installed the 997 short throw.
Night and day difference and an easy mod.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
stock shifter + 37,500k old trans oil = stiff/imprecise/notchy shift(s)

go with the 997ssk or better yet, the numeric. but at least the oem 997ssk and swap out the old oil with redline 75/90 or delvac. you'll notice instant improvement.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
I have no problem with old school long throw 6MT gearboxes....... the 996 Turbo S included. I granny shift 1-2-3 but usually power shift 3rd-4th if I am thrashing my car and 4th-5th. I am still trying to work out what 6th gear is for though :-)

Old 10-07-2014, 10:33 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Luckily there are many ways to drastically improve the shifting on these cars. Start with a short shift kit, either 997SSK or Numeric. Then you might consider a GT2 cluth slave, which will give you much better pedal feel. Lastly, you might considered an upgraded transmission mount.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
The shifter upgrade alone will make all the difference in the world,,great bang for the buck..
You will enjoy your car more..

Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
IITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to all
Personally even with the numeric shifter my turbo still shifts like crap. I drove my buddies 997 4s and that was definitely how a Porsche should shift.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:29 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I do have to agree if there is one thing I dont like about the car is the shifting. Yes, I have a good shifter, properly adjusted cables and redline oil.
With above the shifting is greatly improved from what it was. However my B7 S4 shifts like butter. Hell, my 50 year old corvette shifts better.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
I do have to agree if there is one thing I dont like about the car is the shifting. Yes, I have a good shifter, properly adjusted cables and redline oil.
With above the shifting is greatly improved from what it was. However my B7 S4 shifts like butter. Hell, my 50 year old corvette shifts better.

Speaking of shifting, comparisons..
I have been riding , racing, bulding and competing with Harleys for 20 + years and I just bought a new 2014 Ducati Diavel in which the shifting stinks, alot of quirks and the dealer doesn't want to acknowledge a problem..I still have my 2 Harleys and I like them more every time I get off the Ducati from city riding...LOL..

Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
I have no problem with old school long throw 6MT gearboxes....... the 996 Turbo S included. I granny shift 1-2-3 but usually power shift 3rd-4th if I am thrashing my car and 4th-5th. I am still trying to work out what 6th gear is for though :-)
6th gear is for the front straight at Road America. Touch 7,000 rpm in 5th, quick to 6th and GO! Big fun at 160+. Highly recommended.

PS I really like my Evoms short shifter package with a Rennline billet ****. Night and day difference over oem.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM
All the comments so far have been consistent in their solutions and I appreciate the feedback.

I am fascinated that a world class car has this "issue" when there are so many examples of manual transmissions that shift so nicely. I think we could all list our cars from 20-40 years ago that shifts just fine or perhaps wonderfully.

My feeling is that it is more than just the shifter. I don't have a problem finding the gear, it just feels like the synchros aren't working well. Maybe synthetic gear oil will help with that.

Is there anyone out there who just loves the way their 996TT shifts in stock condition?

Originally Posted by TurboTodd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifting