996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suspension Bang for the Buck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
p556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud of
If you don't want to go full coilovers you can also get Bilstein HD Sport shocks to run with springs. However, the OEM rubber tops suck, and when they blow out your alignment will get sloppy under load.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:55 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
I've been thinking about selling my OE GT2 coilovers and going this route..

Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Ohlins DFV for $2500 shipped from Ohlins USA, really good

Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 993GT
I've been thinking about selling my OE GT2 coilovers and going this route..
Me too, but I've heard there may be a fitment issue? It might have been specific to a certain wheel/tire setup. I need to research more before I sign myself or my mechanic up for a hassle.

-V

Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
Hey V,
Referring to using GT2 parts in a TT or installing Ohlin's bits on a GT2 OR a TT?
Spring diameter look similar to OE GT2 from pictures, so tire clearance should stay similar on GT2.
-Rob

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Me too, but I've heard there may be a fitment issue? It might have been specific to a certain wheel/tire setup. I need to research more before I sign myself or my mechanic up for a hassle.

-V

Old 01-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 993GT
Hey V,
Referring to using GT2 parts in a TT or installing Ohlin's bits on a GT2 OR a TT?
Spring diameter look similar to OE GT2 from pictures, so tire clearance should stay similar on GT2.
-Rob
Yeah, I coulda been a bit more specific. LOL I was referring to the Ohlins bits on a 996TT. But again, it's not gospel, per se, and I would do more homework before ordering - as I would encourage anyone to do before dropping a few grand on the kit.

-V

Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
I have had H&R Coilovers on my 2003tt for the last 2 years or so. Have them set at GT2 height and corner balanced the car. I like them in combo with Pilot Sport Cup tires for my occasional track use but find them a little harsh on the street, especially the rear.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Ck986 is on a distinguished road
Aren't the bilstein HD's equivalent to m030's? Also do the pss10's come with shock mounts? Or do they utilize the stock mounts?

Last edited by Ck986; 01-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I bought new KW V1 coilovers and installed them in the garage at home. I also made up some adjustable upper rear dog bones and installed them. I did an approx alignment using a square, tape measure and straight edges and got it amazingly close. I experimented a bit with ride heights and F to R variations until I got what I wanted as far as handling, turn in and looks. My car is very low, looks great and handles awesome. I also went an adj rear sway bar in the lightest setting. Everything is very neutral now, ride is better and more comfortable than stock. I'm in everything under $3K including a pro alignment and a few hours to install.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:44 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Yeah, I coulda been a bit more specific. LOL I was referring to the Ohlins bits on a 996TT. But again, it's not gospel, per se, and I would do more homework before ordering - as I would encourage anyone to do before dropping a few grand on the kit.

-V
Sorry, i bought the GT2/GT2 parts and Tim did the full RWD conversion with top hats, rotors etc... but I think they have the stock turbo DFV set up as well for AWD... call and ask

Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Sorry, i bought the GT2/GT2 parts and Tim did the full RWD conversion with top hats, rotors etc... but I think they have the stock turbo DFV set up as well for AWD... call and ask
Ahhh, ok Wolfie. Wasn't sure what the specific were, thanks for clearing it up. You got the Ohlins kit for GT2 then? I would have to assume that with a different PN for the TT, Ohlins has it sorted.

...which is good news, because I'm already leaning in that direction.

Best,
-V

Old 01-07-2015, 09:00 PM
vman932 will become famous soon enoughvman932 will become famous soon enough
I saw your post above and was wondering how you got them for $2500. Now it makes sense. I have heard really good things about the Ohlins setup, but they want another ~$1000 for the AWD setup PZMN02 is the part number and they are listed at $3509 on most every site I've seen.

I am in the same boat as the original poster. I have done ~10 track days in the last ~10 years, so that is not a major factor in my decision. Having a decent ride on the street is a higher priority. I would have already bought springs if I hadn't read so many accounts of how brutal the H&Rs are. The prospect of paying 10x as much for coilovers might make the springs seem a bit smoother though.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
IMO, the OEM springs and shocks are terrible. The car is floaty, yet has a harsh ride. THATS why you need a set of quality coil overs.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:23 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I installed a set of K-Sports. I still have to adjust the rebound but should have a better idea soon if they are good or bad. Most people like them, so I decided to give them a try. My first impression was that the ride is really nice but too soft for hard cornering. That said, rebound is set in the middle whereas most people set them on the stiffer side; I should have them firmed up over the weekend and give the car another good run.

If not, H&R should be good. I had them on my BMW and liked them a lot. Ride was better than stock even though the car was lower.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:24 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttpopo
IMO, the OEM springs and shocks are terrible. The car is floaty, yet has a harsh ride. THATS why you need a set of quality coil overs.
Definitely! I can't believe how harsh the ride is given how much suspension travel there is. Feels very nervous when you push the car.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Definitely! I can't believe how harsh the ride is given how much suspension travel there is. Feels very nervous when you push the car.
It's amazing what Porsche got away with. Even in 2001, a nicely optioned turbo was $130s thats a lot of coin to not give the car a quality suspension. Oh wait...duh, its Porsche marketing at work.

**911 series**

Turbo - most power
GT3 - best handling
carrera - highest profit margin (lol)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Bang for the Buck