6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Where's a good place to send sleeves to Oring? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/357398-wheres-good-place-send-sleeves-oring.html)

turbodanny 02-03-2015 10:38 AM

Where's a good place to send sleeves to Oring?

IN the process of my build I'm wanting to Oring my heads so if anyone could give me the light I would appreciate it.

kidyeung 02-03-2015 12:51 PM

not sure if you want to ship across the country
Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine Shop John Edwards (949) 631-6376
he helped me do machining on my brothers supra. he also written a couple of books on machining. i was impressed when i went to his shop.

32krazy! 02-03-2015 04:51 PM

usp motorsports is in your back yard 9 sec gt2

turbodanny 02-03-2015 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 4285016)
usp motorsports is in your back yard 9 sec gt2

yes, I know Chris but I believe they send it out to a machine shop in the South Fl area

32krazy! 02-03-2015 05:45 PM

ok isnt that what you want? a proper shop using a proper machine shop? ugr sends their 2000 hp engines for built internals seems good enough for them

give prototech a call or silly rabbit motorsports in vegas. they do their own work

turbodanny 02-03-2015 06:03 PM

I sent a pm to ItGuy so I'll wait to hear back from him but I believe he had LA sleeves do the Orings. I don't mind sending the sleeves across country as long as I know they have done it before successfully.

32krazy! 02-03-2015 06:14 PM

its been done for decades . i would hazard a guess theres a shop in tampa that could do it. tim941nyc certainly can do it.

itguy 02-03-2015 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by turbodanny (Post 4285045)
I sent a pm to ItGuy so I'll wait to hear back from him but I believe he had LA sleeves do the Orings. I don't mind sending the sleeves across country as long as I know they have done it before successfully.

The LA sleeves came with the oring grooves already cut. They do not install the orings however, you do that yourself with .03 wire.

turbodanny 02-03-2015 08:48 PM

I'll call a couple of machine shops in the area tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks guys

itguy 02-03-2015 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by turbodanny (Post 4285141)
I'll call a couple of machine shops in the area tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks guys

Make sure they know what they are doing. If they have not done it before on porsche sleeves I would pass as fixturing a sleeve is non trivial, you don't have a typical engine block to attach to.

BLKMGK 02-03-2015 09:55 PM

A friend of mine says he can do this. He says what this is called is "face grooving" and he does it often. I do not think he's worked with 911 sleeves specifically but he builds and sleeves quite a few other engines to include Subaru, Viper, Honda, DSM and on and on lol. He has specific cutters for the job although you would have to confirm specs for the 911 sleeves. He is East Coast in Winchester VA, AR Fabrication is the shop name and (540) 722-3966 should get you Howard - tell him BLK sent you :) Don't know if he has an account here but perhaps I can prod him to elaborate on the subject if he does lol

itguy 02-04-2015 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by BLKMGK (Post 4285169)
A friend of mine says he can do this. He says what this is called is "face grooving" and he does it often. I do not think he's worked with 911 sleeves specifically but he builds and sleeves quite a few other engines to include Subaru, Viper, Honda, DSM and on and on lol. He has specific cutters for the job although you would have to confirm specs for the 911 sleeves. He is East Coast in Winchester VA, AR Fabrication is the shop name and (540) 722-3966 should get you Howard - tell him BLK sent you :) Don't know if he has an account here but perhaps I can prod him to elaborate on the subject if he does lol

Let me know if he can do this to the sleeves by themselves. Typically most places will ask for the block, which is not possible in this case. I would bet 1$ that LA Sleeve do this on the lathe at the same time as the sleeves are cut.

Tim941NYC 02-04-2015 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by turbodanny (Post 4284782)
IN the process of my build I'm wanting to Oring my heads so if anyone could give me the light I would appreciate it.

Stock sleeves?

turbodanny 02-04-2015 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC (Post 4285667)
Stock sleeves?

Hey Tim, yes stock

BLKMGK 02-04-2015 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by itguy (Post 4285222)
Let me know if he can do this to the sleeves by themselves. Typically most places will ask for the block, which is not possible in this case. I would bet 1$ that LA Sleeve do this on the lathe at the same time as the sleeves are cut.

I asked, he wants to know if the sleeves are already the proper height for installation. As these sound like the stock sleeves they ought to be, his concern is wasted cash if the installed height is high. Picturing this in my head from what little I know of the Metzger and i don't think we deck the cases\sleeves, cylinders are only one height yes? Am ignorant on this I'll admit :confused:

Says he can do them on a lathe no problem. He's got a CNC big enough to damn near walk into but I don't think that's required for this! Says he would need a headgasket to ensure the ring was placed properly.