996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Chevy`s Corvette division BOUGHT a Porsche TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:44 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by DT04R
This has been clarified by several people that the Z *did* in fact use a flying start (pretty much like all 'ring times since it removes the start acceleration as a factor).

DT
It has also been clarified by the new Corvette Quarterly that it was from a dead stop. I don't know what to tell ya, and frankly, I don't really care if it were flying at 500 mph start or was going in reverse..

Old 11-01-2005, 09:07 AM
DT04R is on a distinguished road
Apparently some folks in the know at the Z06 event asked Dave Farmer and some other racers who knew everyone involved in the *actual* real world lapping event (knowing that it had been reported by a mag otherwise), and they indicated _yes_ flying start like ALL recorded ring times. You'll note from some of the commentary, Hans was talking about how well the car did lap after ++continuous++ lap (like there were no stops-starts).

The only reason this is relevant, is if the car ran that time from a dead stop, it would be even FASTER from a rolling start.

Killer time in any regard, especially from a car sporting runflats (also shows how much runflat technology has improved).

Dave posted something recently that was interesting though - even with the AH/TC disabled, he was apparrently still getting some auto-magic interference (mainly while trying to rotate the rear a bit). Said it would definitely be a deficit to hardcore 9-10/10th drivers. I wonder if the ring car had everything totally disabled.

(Personally I keep the performance mode active at events, I'm happy driving at 7/10th's and bringing the car home in one piece)

Originally posted by SCvet00
It has also been clarified by the new Corvette Quarterly that it was from a dead stop. I don't know what to tell ya, and frankly, I don't really care if it were flying at 500 mph start or was going in reverse..

Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by SCvet00
In no way am I saying that the Z06 is better than a CGT IN ANY WAY, but, when it comes to performance strictly, the Z06 is damn impressive and can even give a CGT a run for it's money based on mag numbers AND real life driving on the track
You live in a magazine world. On the racetrack, there simply is no comparison. Do you actually believe that the Z06's handling comes (esp. at high speeds) comes anywhere close to a Carrera GT with its pushrod suspension?

10 seconds difference on any time under 8 minutes on the Ring is a LOT. Especially when you are talking about times in the low 7:30 range.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
You live in a magazine world. On the racetrack, there simply is no comparison. Do you actually believe that the Z06's handling comes (esp. at high speeds) comes anywhere close to a Carrera GT with its pushrod suspension?

10 seconds difference on any time under 8 minutes on the Ring is a LOT. Especially when you are talking about times in the low 7:30 range.
DL and watch this video of the C6 Z and the CGT on the track..

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=4693895

I know the CGT is a better handeling car, all I am saying is the the Z is a tough competitor. Remember, the Z ran a 7:42.9 with run flats. It probably has 7:39 in it with regular tires.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:52 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
that video doesn't show anything. A geo metro can beat a bad driver in a CGT.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by teflon_jones
Yawn.... Another thread about a 996TT versus a Corvette Z06. They're both incredible cars. I'm not a Corvette fan (other than the really old ones), but how can you argue with a car that laps the N'ring as fast as a 996TT?

Personally, I won't be buying a Z06. If I had the money, I'd get a used 911 of some sort. But that really doesn't matter.
Exactly what i am doing, i can easily buy a new Z06 and want to badly, love them but dont want to be one of the dime a dozen owners and take such a hit a year or 2 down the line when i egt bored of it!

They are amazing cars, maybe if i drive it it will change my mind, so i guess i cant talk yet

Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by iLLM3
dont want to be one of the dime a dozen owners and take such a hit a year or 2 down the line when i egt bored of it!
I bet the 996TT guys didn't mind. That's exactly what happened to them. Atleast I see a lot more p-cars then I do vettes out here, TT's are a dime a dozen.

When you get bored w/ a car, you just mod it

Old 11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
alamein is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
I bet the 996TT guys didn't mind. That's exactly what happened to them. Atleast I see a lot more p-cars then I do vettes out here, TT's are a dime a dozen.
scott - you need to move out to a seedier neighborhood like I'm in, then the porkers are much rarer than the Vettes

Old 11-01-2005, 04:35 PM
seedier

Old 11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
I say kudos to Chevy for aiming for the 996TT. Obviously Porsche wasn't about to give them a 997TT so they made due with what was available. They should aim for the daily driver supercar king.

I think all this talk about Soul is crap. It's the same excuse Ferrari drivers give when a Porsche destroys it on the track. "It's not about numbers". Yes it is about numbers and the new Z06 has some serious numbers.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Dave
Soul = The size of the **** eating grin you have when driving the car.
Soul = Turning on the light in your garage to get one last look of the car before you turn in.
Soul = Turning through a turn with confidence at speed knowing that the car is going to take you to the next straight away so that you can continue your fun.
Soul = A car that you think, at the moment, you could keep forever because it is so perfect in every way.

This is getting too gay, so I think I'll stop here.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:07 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Driver is very fast!

The driver of the Z06 was Jan Magnussen, two-time winner of Lemans, F1 driver and he flat *** FLYS!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Re: Driver is very fast!

Originally posted by mikerosi
The driver of the Z06 was Jan Magnussen, two-time winner of Lemans, F1 driver and he flat *** FLYS!!!
who do you think was driving porsches cars, an amatuer?

Old 11-01-2005, 09:03 PM
CL65 w/ exhaust and ecu upgrade vs. stock C6 Z06

download link

Old 11-01-2005, 10:55 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by HotRodGuy

When you get bored w/ a car, you just mod it
Well that's exactly what i did witht he M3, 550HP now and im still not satisfied and you have to be in the mood to drive my dam car