6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Forged Internals + Rebuild cost of engine? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/363523-forged-internals-rebuild-cost-engine.html)

steeze 04-29-2015 11:42 PM

Forged Internals + Rebuild cost of engine?

Engine suffered a failure two days ago - I am trying to gauge what others have paid for just a engine build with forged internals.

Can anyone provide some costs they've paid?

32krazy! 04-30-2015 02:23 AM

5000 to 7000 for labor depending on the shop or builder. parts range from 4500 for the basics to 10k$ for head work, 3.8 liners and pistons etc.

something to consider, headbolts require 2 full heat cycles then a retorque which requires engine removal and cams removed a second time. added cost. contact sean at silly rabbit motorsports in vegas or tim941nyc from here. both high quality builders

TabooPc 04-30-2015 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by steeze (Post 4332430)
Engine suffered a failure two days ago - I am trying to gauge what others have paid for just a engine build with forged internals.

Can anyone provide some costs they've paid?

What mods, and under what conditions?

I'm getting near the threshold of my stock internals, so I'm trying to gauge it. :)

Wealth Manager 04-30-2015 08:14 AM

Carillo Rods: 1,300
Engine Build: 4,500
Porting Heads: 900
3.8 or 3.9L Kit: 5,500 (3.9L may cost you more to install, not drop in like mahle)
Evoms Headstuds: 1,300

There are more things you can do to increase flow, but then the overall build cost goes up obviously. This does not include rebuild parts like gaskets, camshaft bolts....etc. Do you want to go mafless, that increases price.....etc.

Evolution MotorSports 04-30-2015 10:00 AM

Our engine builder John Bray is arguably the best watercooled Porsche engine builder in this industry, with a sterling record of building 996/997TT motors that are ultra reliable and make excellent power. If you're in San Diego, it's well worth the trip over with the car or just the engine to have him take care of it.

We just retooled pricing on all of our engine rebuild/upgrade options. A 'Stage 1' build with rods, head studs, head gaskets, and a refresh of the bottom end is just under $10k with the engine shipped to us. Any damaged stock components, labor to remove engine from car, etc. would be in addition to that. We offer much more involved builds from there, all the way up to a 4.0L race motor capable of 2000hp+.

Shoot me an email at sstone@evoms.com if you're interested and we can get into the details from there.

Sam

su_maverick 04-30-2015 10:23 AM

Definitely going to stop by your place when I get out there. Starting the move to Tempe in two days.

Evolution MotorSports 04-30-2015 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by su_maverick (Post 4332588)
Definitely going to stop by your place when I get out there. Starting the move to Tempe in two days.

Come on down! We love visitors and are happy to offer a tour of the shop and what we're working on.

Sam

03EvoIII 04-30-2015 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 4332446)
5000 to 7000 for labor depending on the shop or builder. parts range from 4500 for the basics to 10k$ for head work, 3.8 liners and pistons etc.

"something to consider, headbolts require 2 full heat cycles then a retorque which requires engine removal and cams removed a second time. added cost" contact sean at silly rabbit motorsports in vegas or tim941nyc from here. both high quality builders

Just thinking of doing that makes me cringe! :D Why not just over torque 5-10 ft/lbs and call it a day. What brand of headstuds? ARP?

Evolution MotorSports 04-30-2015 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 03EvoIII (Post 4332874)
Just thinking of doing that makes me cringe! :D Why not just over torque 5-10 ft/lbs and call it a day. What brand of headstuds? ARP?

We do not require that procedure with ours. Speaking of, our 10mm head studs are back in stock and are now a lower price.

32krazy! 04-30-2015 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports (Post 4332568)
Our engine builder John Bray is arguably the best watercooled Porsche engine builder in this industry, with a sterling record of building 996/997TT motors that are ultra reliable and make excellent power. If you're in San Diego, it's well worth the trip over with the car or just the engine to have him take care of it.

We just retooled pricing on all of our engine rebuild/upgrade options. A 'Stage 1' build with rods, head studs, head gaskets, and a refresh of the bottom end is just under $10k with the engine shipped to us. Any damaged stock components, labor to remove engine from car, etc. would be in addition to that. We offer much more involved builds from there, all the way up to a 4.0L race motor capable of 2000hp+.

Shoot me an email at sstone@evoms.com if you're interested and we can get into the details from there.

Sam

are rings, bearings and all the associated gaskets and orings needed for a tear down included in the "stage 1" price? whats included in "refreshing " the bottom end?
whats the tensile strength of your head bolts? is the step torque the reason why you don't retorque them? are you using stock head gaskets since they can hold 1000 hp?

steeze the retorque is a requirement of racewear headbolts

LQQK 04-30-2015 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports (Post 4332897)
We do not require that procedure with ours. Speaking of, our 10mm head studs are back in stock and are now a lower price.

Can you tell us what your procedure is and why it is different??

itguy 05-01-2015 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by LQQK (Post 4333010)
Can you tell us what your procedure is and why it is different??

Very curious too, what gaskets do you use that settle without requiring a heat cycle, if you have them, ill be ordering some right away :p

'02996ttx50 05-01-2015 04:40 AM

without specifics beyond specifics and there are always unseen variables once a "project" like a refresh is "underway" but i would say a motor refresh from evoms for 10K is a pretty safe bet and a good thing to remember for those ever in need.

Quadcammer 05-01-2015 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports (Post 4332568)
Our engine builder John Bray is arguably the best watercooled Porsche engine builder in this industry,

lol.

I think everyone thinks their own engine builder is one of the best in the industry, not to mention that is impossible to substantiate.

'02996ttx50 05-01-2015 07:00 AM

fair point, but whats the guy gonna say? we rebuild motors, build parts, tune cars and we suck?! i don't know much, but i think evoms reputation is reasonably established and secure within the porsche tuning community lol.

even if one of their "reps" did spell hans mezger as "metzger" here once LOL. i give them a pass for their dv's alone! hah