6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   OHM - 6lb "Smart" Battery (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/371727-ohm-6lb-smart-battery.html)

DSCOFF 08-20-2015 09:41 AM

OHM - 6lb "Smart" Battery

Has anyone seen this? Thoughts? Potential downsides for us?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...-car-battery#/

Ohm is a new kind of car battery that never needs to be jump started, works reliably on the coldest winter days, lasts twice as long as the average lead-acid battery, and weighs just 6 pounds.

Ohm is smart enough to keep you from accidentally draining your battery if you forget to turn your lights off. It will automatically turn itself off when it gets critically low, and then switch itself back on when you go to start your car. No more getting stranded with a dead battery. Ohm also monitors and regulates itself to prolong its lifetime and accurately predict when it will need to be replaced.

32krazy! 08-20-2015 12:02 PM

can't speak for that battery but a voltphreaks vp900 does everything this battery claims to do minus telling you its time for a new one. its what i use

rxbike 08-20-2015 12:59 PM

OP, I saw that indiegogo starter project this morning too. Was wondering the same thing. Concern about the internal circuits failing over time.

mxracer 08-20-2015 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 4388759)
can't speak for that battery but a voltphreaks vp900 does everything this battery claims to do minus telling you its time for a new one. its what i use

...and it's more than a 4 x the price. :)

Even the comparable voltphreak is 4 times as much.

One of them is WAY off on price.

32krazy! 08-20-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mxracer (Post 4388816)
...and it's more than a 4 x the price. :)

Even the comparable voltphreak is 4 times as much.

One of them is WAY off on price.

considering the "ohm" battery has 10 amp hr capacity ( my flashlight has more power) and doesn't tell what the cca amps are and more importantly it isn't even built yet the voltphreaks which is built, and ready for sale is a bargain at twice the price

mxracer 08-20-2015 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy! (Post 4388829)
considering the "ohm" battery has 10 amp hr capacity ( my flashlight has more power) and doesn't tell what the cca amps are and more importantly it isn't even built yet the voltphreaks which is built, and ready for sale is a bargain at twice the price

With you on the ago hours... 500 CCA... But it's 4 x the price.. Not knocking the voltphreak.. Just pointing out the huge price gap

32krazy! 08-20-2015 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mxracer (Post 4388832)
With you on the ago hours... 500 CCA... But it's 4 x the price.. Not knocking the voltphreak.. Just pointing out the huge price gap

that may be but you can actually buy a voltphreaks. you can only hope that they actually make the other battery. and 500 cca will barely fire your car

or you can actually buy a shuraken battery which is 11 lbs and 500 cca for about 100$

stevemfr 08-21-2015 04:11 AM

Cool concept.
And BTW, the vp900 "only" has 530 CCA. ;-p

I do not think the 10ah capacity needs to be seen as being detrimental. The over 100ah batteries in my diesel Range Rovers do virtually nothing for my cranking capability b/c you simply can not get the power out of a lead acid battery fast enough. That is why super caps are interesting in this application. And why 10ah could be more than sufficient.

But they do have to make it work - and the concept has to be proven in RL.

rxbike 08-23-2015 01:22 PM

I think these have potential and will see RL testing.
In the car audio world, we use to have to rely on 1 farad caps in banks in the old days before regulated power supply came into place to keep those power hungry Zapco and PPI amps from crapping out so it is not new tech, just repurposed ?