996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Sunroof Gremlins

Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Angry Sunroof Gremlins

I have a weird one:

Went to open the sunroof - to the slide back position - single click at the back of the button but nothing happened. Clicked the middle of the button and sunroof opened into tilt up position ok. Closed with forward of the button. Then I could open to slide back position but only if I kept holding the back of the button. I also couldn't close with just a press of the button but had to hold the front of the button. Switched the ignition off and back on and then it all worked perfectly. Back to normal, I thought computer gremlin. Used the car 3 hours later and same thing...

Any ideas?

Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I had a similar problem.
The dealer told me it was in the sunroofs tracks?
They replaced it under my extended warranty..
Good Luck..

Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I had a similar problem.
The dealer told me it was in the sunroofs tracks?
They replaced it under my extended warranty..
Good Luck..
It seems more electrical to me... Tracks are more mechanical. Also if I hold the switch sunroof runs back and forth fine.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Could be your sunroof controller going out on you. You can try to reset it (I can't remember the sequence, but a quick search of the forums should work) -- but that only worked for a day or so, and then it started acting up on me again. Ultimately, I had to get the control module replaced.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
It seems more electrical to me... Tracks are more mechanical. Also if I hold the switch sunroof runs back and forth fine.
So did mine,maybe because keeping constant power on the switch made it overcome the bad track??..
Just giving some input..

Old 11-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Could be your sunroof controller going out on you. You can try to reset it (I can't remember the sequence, but a quick search of the forums should work) -- but that only worked for a day or so, and then it started acting up on me again. Ultimately, I had to get the control module replaced.
I bet it is the controller, knowing my luck!

I tried to reset as per web instruction - in my case nothing happens. "Open the sunroof to tilt position, then release the button, then press the switch again in the middle and hold for 10 seconds, the sunroof will then go into self-adjusting sequence." In my case zero going into the sequence... do you remember where the module is located (where the button is?) & the control module cost?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Terminator, sorry for slight OT, did you get your 2nd gear pop put fixed? Did detent do the trick?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Sql_pl
Terminator, sorry for slight OT, did you get your 2nd gear pop put fixed? Did detent do the trick?
Damn forgot to close the thread;

Yes fingers x-ed. Had it fitted, went to the local track and really abused 2nd gear for a while up/down the rpm range with max acceleration and abrupt lift offs. I couldn't pop-out the gear. It also seems my gearstick slots into gear a bit better. And when I lift off abruptly it seems car jolts tighter. So far, so good, I recommend the fix.

Last edited by Terminator; 11-26-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Damn forgot to close the thread;

Yes fingers x-ed. Had it fitted, went to the local track and really abused 2nd gear for a while up/down the rpm range with max acceleration and abrupt lift offs. I couldn't pop-out the gear. It also seems my gearstick slots into gear a bit better. And when I lift off abruptly it seems car jolts tighter. So far, so good, I recommend the fix.
congrats on your 2nd gear fix success. sorry to hear of your sunroof issues.. sucks.. it's always little sh*t..but wait.. aren't you in uk? when ya gonna use a sunroof? i kid my sunroof issues last car were the track(s) as i remember but it seemed as if it could've been switch/controller related since it would partially open/close regardless of what position i ultimately wanted. eg, i would push button intending for say, half-position, it would open, then close absent request.. you get the idea. i'm pretty sure all they did was lube/clean the tracks. they get fairly mucked up as you can imagine.

gl w it.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I bet it is the controller, knowing my luck!

I tried to reset as per web instruction - in my case nothing happens. "Open the sunroof to tilt position, then release the button, then press the switch again in the middle and hold for 10 seconds, the sunroof will then go into self-adjusting sequence." In my case zero going into the sequence... do you remember where the module is located (where the button is?) & the control module cost?
When I had the problem, the reset process would work but the sunroof would start acting up again after a day. The part they replaced was the sunroof drive motor with control unit -- part 997-624-211-00. The cost was about $380 for the part, and about 1 hr labor.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:12 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I have found most reset instructions I have found do nothing in my 997.2. I found another post somewhere that worked for my car:

1 - close the sliding roof
2 - hold the forward/close button (referred to as Rocker Switch B in the manual) for several seconds / don't release it
3 - the sliding roof will go through an opening / closing / sliding sequence that ends with it closed.