6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Installing lowering springs (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/371757-installing-lowering-springs.html)

MadWhip 08-20-2015 01:08 PM

Installing lowering springs

I've decided for now, go with lowering springs, h&r sports, I just would like to get rid of that 4x4 look, since I dont track the car. I drive just on weekends, short trips, I'm looking for few DIY's I found one few months back ,*old post* not from 6speed it was a shop. someone was installing PSS9s : it was filled with pictures, I did lowering springs on many cars before myself. I have spring compressor but thinking to buy a new one anyways. Since mine is pretty old , can you guys post few DIY links: trying to gather as much info as possible before i proceed. :)

I have this one :

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...read-pics.html

03EvoIII 08-20-2015 01:37 PM

Need to do this too!!!! Maybe over the winter. :D Hopefully there's a DIY out there, but shouldn't be too bad.

MadWhip 08-20-2015 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 03EvoIII (Post 4388812)
Need to do this too!!!! Maybe over the winter. :D Hopefully there's a DIY out there, but shouldn't be too bad.

well since i have springs just laying there, why not :)

rear ones seems easy, the only thing that worries me about the front you gotta take the front rotor(s) off. BUT had my BOTS fixed not too long ago so it shouldn't be that bad.

I remember checking some DIY someone did on 996 without taking the rotors off, he used spring-compressor to compress the spring and sliding it out, not sure if on TT can be done same way

VGLNTE1 08-20-2015 02:49 PM

Front sucks getting the shock out.

Ps. When the top mounts are frozen to the shock, a air hammer world wonders

MadWhip 08-21-2015 11:43 AM

^_ that what worries me, as well, maybe i should just wait till next year and after winter buy coilovers with top mounts, and sell the lowering springs :D

su_maverick 08-21-2015 07:25 PM

Fronts:

Remove lower shock bolt
Remove drop link (top and bottom bolts)
Disconnect tie rod end (modified NAPA tool is best)
Loosen lower spring perch (bolt with 10mm nut)
Twist perch till you have access to the little square bump
Use a pry bar to pop stock spring out of perch
Wind down spring
Undo three bolts holding top mount
Disconnect two sensors located behind hub
Detach electrical connection behind hub (one nut and another bolt) This is to give you play
Disconnect half shaft at dif (some say you can just pop it out but I think taking out the allen bolts is safer)
Compress the shock top mount so that it can be swung free of fender

This will allow you to take off the top mount free of the fender well. You should be able to replace the springs as well. Then just reverse the process.

DaveCarrera4S 08-21-2015 08:33 PM

I put H&R s on, took the better part of the day in my friends garage. Difficult but not impossible. Lowered the car below GT2 specs, had to graph and extrapolate some of the corner alignment settings. Runs great on the street and track, with minimal tire wear compared to stock.

djcooper@rennkit.com

AdamNoone 08-21-2015 09:31 PM

I did my H&R springs at home in my garage without a lift. Took just over an hour. It was my first time, although I am an ex-technician. Its not tough if you are mechanically inclined.

I didnt encounter any issues with my install. Cars an 05 and had about 50k on it when I did the install

Adam

rxbike 08-22-2015 08:33 AM

My issue with just springs are that the old shocks are tired (depending on how many miles you have ) so why not just new dampers with the springs too or as you said, coil overs.

MadWhip 08-23-2015 05:19 PM

BTW guys quick question after changing the suspension , is it ok to drive the car to the alignment shop its 40min away, and i trust them, since they align cars for track and you can bring the car as low as you want since they use in ground align

AdamNoone 08-23-2015 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadWhip (Post 4389990)
BTW guys quick question after changing the suspension , is it ok to drive the car to the alignment shop its 40min away, and i trust them, since they align cars for track and you can bring the car as low as you want since they use in ground align

Yup, you'll be fine. 40 easy miles wont cause an issue

jimmydsas 08-23-2015 08:42 PM

Its not tough if you are mechanically inclined.http://loanfinanceus.com/8ce17.jpg

MadWhip 08-24-2015 03:06 PM

some people said, the car is scary to drive after lowering, and it be all over the road, i dont think that 1" makes huge difference and be ok to drive to align shop - Yeah I'm doing this weekend. maybe snap some pics :) if everything goes well, lol sometimes i dont mind how the car looks/sits but that 4x4 in front look bugs me, with wheel spacers it will look amazing.

'02996ttx50 08-24-2015 03:24 PM

theres no "scary all over the road" anything. lowering springs properly setup and replaced over time ( as they tend to lose their "spring" ) are a terrific and actually decent handling *compromise* btw stock dampers and full coilovers. the key to successfully riding with any suspension changes are well matched parts, wheels, and alignment. so rubber and ride height, will allow for a better plant. but bear in mind, any *improvement* in tautness firmness of ride e.g. "feedback", is a compromise to that ( awful ) and softer oem ride/feel and HEIGHT ( ack ). a trade off that most of us are willing to make.

MadWhip 08-25-2015 01:00 PM

ok cool, local indy (friend) shop quoted me $650 But i think ill do it myself. I wanted to check how for labor. I'm going to attempt installation this coming weekend. I need to find that tool for lower bolt joint to press it out, and new nuts for axles. and probably buy or rent the spring compressor. I have one, but it was used too many times..