6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   CTEK - Cigarette Lighter Vs Comfort Indicator? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/372983-ctek-cigarette-lighter-vs-comfort-indicator.html)

ant_8u 09-07-2015 05:30 PM

CTEK - Cigarette Lighter Vs Comfort Indicator?

I'm looking at picking up a new CTEK charger for my cars

I've seen and heard quite a few people use the CTEK comfort panels rather than plugging straight into the cigarette lighter, but I've never heard why

Can anyone tell me why these connectors are preferred to the lighter socket?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ct...FcsTGgody24Pyw

BLKMGK 09-07-2015 05:39 PM

Looks like they can probably handle more amperage and may have an indicator for charge level? I'm just using the lighter plug myself, no muss no fuss.

'02996ttx50 09-07-2015 06:49 PM

I've never even seen that connector but my little 3300 ctek has been working flawlessly with the cigarette lighter adapter for years greatest 50 bucks I ever spent

rmc1148 09-07-2015 07:35 PM

I've been using mine for thee years and love it.

HotRodGuy 11-30-2015 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by rmc1148 (Post 4396758)
I've been using mine for thee years and love it.

did you hook up to both terminals, or positive only and grounded somewhere else?

'02996ttx50 11-30-2015 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodGuy (Post 4435004)
did you hook up to both terminals, or positive only and grounded somewhere else?

you should have the alligator ( large ) red/black +/- std connectors, and also some that are o ringed connectors that have to be fastened. pos and neg for both.

then the more convenient option for another 10/20 bucks is the cig light adaptor. but that is the only connection not requiring a separate ground. but there are two SETS of cables that are included when you purchase the ctek c3300 that have a plastic connector in the sequence so you can switch from cables to cig adapter etc..

HotRodGuy 11-30-2015 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50 (Post 4435024)
you should have the alligator ( large ) red/black +/- std connectors, and also some that are o ringed connectors that have to be fastened. pos and neg for both.

then the more convenient option for another 10/20 bucks is the cig light adaptor. but that is the only connection not requiring a separate ground. but there are two SETS of cables that are included when you purchase the ctek c3300 that have a plastic connector in the sequence so you can switch from cables to cig adapter etc..

Yea, my cig power isn't constant (shuts off)....i've got the car hooked up to alligators right now as my o rings are used on my '55 (just ordered another set)

I'm actually running a CTEK MUS 4.3 but I don't think that will cause any issues

Jeanmarcboilard 11-30-2015 01:54 PM

My Porsche cigarette trickle charger shuts off too. Isn't it suppose to when the battery is fully charged?

BLKMGK 11-30-2015 04:59 PM

Lighter on my car is powered all the time, pretty sure that's normal?

'02996ttx50 11-30-2015 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodGuy (Post 4435051)
Yea, my cig power isn't constant (shuts off)....i've got the car hooked up to alligators right now as my o rings are used on my '55 (just ordered another set)

I'm actually running a CTEK MUS 4.3 but I don't think that will cause any issues

not sure what "shuts off" means since the ctek i have "trickles" and "auto" shuts itself off for a minute, then goes back "green" when fully charged. sorry/confused.

but the cig light adapter is constant,..and will consequently "always" draw current if there is ANY juice in the battery.. its the charger itself that goes "off". if that makes sense. the alligators are obviously fine since most use those, but you have to undo the battery cover, leave the frunk open etc and all that sh*t, while the cig lighter thing is well...

i'm lazy :rolleyes:

HotRodGuy 11-30-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50 (Post 4435138)
not sure what "shuts off" means since the ctek i have "trickles" and "auto" shuts itself off for a minute, then goes back "green" when fully charged. sorry/confused.

but the cig light adapter is constant,..and will consequently "always" draw current if there is ANY juice in the battery.. its the charger itself that goes "off". if that makes sense. the alligators are obviously fine since most use those, but you have to undo the battery cover, leave the frunk open etc and all that sh*t, while the cig lighter thing is well...

i'm lazy :rolleyes:

It appears my cig connection in the car isn't constant. I've tried a few diff accessories and it shuts off about 30 minutes later.

Popping the hood isn't bad for me.

'02996ttx50 12-01-2015 02:25 AM

agree. its not as if the battery is under a rear seat! still i appreciate that cig adaptor.

daedalus 12-01-2015 09:53 AM

ctek + cig adapter working flawlessly here the past 3 years. Each dealer visit in the spring they tell me the battery is in perfect condition (and the battery is about 6 years old now).

My only complaint is the cig adapter doesn't seem to work on some of the newer cars (didn't work on the GTR or the M6).

estoril4dr 03-28-2016 11:52 AM

Just got a ctek 3300 last week and hooked it up directly to the battery (also have the cig adapter on the way). It's been 3 days so far and it's still charging. Is this normal? I had read others show fully charged over night.

wondering if this means I need a new battery as the current one isn't holding a charge.

'02996ttx50 03-28-2016 04:12 PM

not normal for the ctek3300 float charge to take 3 days to go "green" then float/trickle/maintain. i would, by now, check the integrity of the battery itself.