996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Am I an idiot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
Question Am I an idiot?

Last year, Costco had a great price on a max jack 2 post mid rise lift. I bought one. But the garage at my home had a beat up, cracked and uplifted garage floor and parking area.

So this past month, I've been working with a crew to demo the old concrete, pull out 10 yards of dirt and pour a new slab. There are 3 grade beams so I can put the lift in different places to lift my fleet of 5 vehicles. Yes, I am driving the bobcat. I am an original redneck Asian.

It looks like I will be spending near 20K to install a 2k lift. What I will do to keep the cars on the road. But looking forward to the first lift. Am I crazy?Click image for larger version

Name:	70AB014F-A42B-4F80-A80D-292BED54DF59.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	815.6 KB
ID:	428435

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049 (1).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	660.8 KB
ID:	428436

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2067.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	428437

Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
You'll love it. I got my MaxJax from Costco, too. I'll never go back to jack stands.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
No, you're living the dream!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Not crazy and its best to do the job correctly. Do not believe it would cost near that here with the people I work with..

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Top work brother

Old 09-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rangerdick
It looks like I will be spending near 20K to install a 2k lift. What I will do to keep the cars on the road. But looking forward to the first lift. Am I crazy?
Nope...Car Guy. Love it. I had my contractor move a few load bearing beams around in my sF garage to ensure I could park 3 cars. Wasn't as pricey as your project, but it wasn't cheap at all.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:01 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Lifting my garage roof and installing a better electric service etc. cost me $16k so not too bad and your floor will look great! Do epoxy, stay away from plastic tiles...

Old 09-15-2015, 11:10 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Congrates dude, its right and safe. 20K wont replace your beating heart. Not to put fear in anyone.

I've, considered a similar option for next summer. Drop the floor slightly, increase ceiling distance will give me a 4 car garage but, I need to do it right once.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
The maxjax is the best mechanical device for the garage I have ever bought.
Using epoxy for the bolt anchors is definitely the best way.
Also I highly suggest to have two people install the maxjax.
With one person it can be very dangerous as you have to pull out the inside of the post that slides up and down. It is very heavy and when it slides back in it can smash or cut off anything that is in its way. I was lucky that I just smashed the nail on my finger as I did the install by myself.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by levinsje
The maxjax is the best mechanical device for the garage I have ever bought.
Using epoxy for the bolt anchors is definitely the best way.
Also I highly suggest to have two people install the maxjax.
With one person it can be very dangerous as you have to pull out the inside of the post that slides up and down. It is very heavy and when it slides back in it can smash or cut off anything that is in its way. I was lucky that I just smashed the nail on my finger as I did the install by myself.
Did you have the post standing up or laying parallel to the floor?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I had to orient the post at a slight angle to get the hydraulic cylinder out.
That was not the issue. Putting it back in was.
When I put the cylinder back in it slid very fast due to the weight and it being lubricated. I could not get my finger out in time and fortunately just cracked my nail. It could have been much worse.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by levinsje
I had to orient the post at a slight angle to get the hydraulic cylinder out.
That was not the issue. Putting it back in was.
When I put the cylinder back in it slid very fast due to the weight and it being lubricated. I could not get my finger out in time and fortunately just cracked my nail. It could have been much worse.
Ah. It's much easier if you lay it parallel to the floor for assembly.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
I've already spent more than that restoring my barn. I have an in-ground lift and a 15' ceiling but the lift is still in pieces and needs to be installed and I do not have a concrete floor yet

So, in my mind you are in no way crazy.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I spent over 20k putting stone on my garage and all told spent 35k on resto= its all how you want to spend your money. Its not cheap if you do things correctly.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:24 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sinKing
Ah. It's much easier if you lay it parallel to the floor for assembly.
That's what I was going to say. I have no problem pulling the hydraulic rams out by myself with the posting laying down. Had to do it twice after install because of a pesky hydraulic leak from on of the fittings. I installed my MaxJax myself a couple months ago. Best thing I've ever done to my garage. All I needed to do was rent a good hammer drill and buy a good brand new bit to drill clean holes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I an idiot?