996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Has anyone ran Skinnies up front?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:22 PM
turbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by prodigymb
brand new ERP i just put in my 997 shifts quick, i doubt its your trans if it happened in more than 1 gear. either clutch or shifter cables.
Mark what Cables you think I should go with? Collin and I were wondering the same thing but I think to be on the safe side I should go ahead and change them. Are there many options?

<OS_xpc_string: <string: 0x17e1c2f0> { length = 20, contents = "www.6speedonline.com" }>

Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 PM
turbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond reputeturbodanny has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
No worries, just staying ahead of any rumors that may have come from your brief mention. Nothing you said was inaccurate, we just wanted to give the full story. We do our own head studs because we've had big issues in the past when other companies' studs failed in our engines, which resulted in a huge ordeal shipping cars/engines back to be torn down and rebuilt with reliable parts. That kind of thing can never happen again, which is why we're conservative with our ratings with the 10mm studs and why we go through the trouble of using a aerospace manufacturer that takes weeks and months to build and inspect our small batch run of custom studs. Their engineering and quality standards are very high, and John sleeps easy at night knowing they keep a strict eye on the parts they turn out. Carry on! Regarding the topic at hand, try fitting an equal or near-equal height tire up front. It's a 997TT, but we're running a 27.5" diameter rear tire and a very close diameter in the front. You have to lose some of the fender liner and can't turn tightly, but the ABS and AWD works flawlessly as the rolling diameter is the same. Running something narrower would be easy, as well as smaller in the shorter 996TT wheel wells. Sam
thanks for the Advice Sam, I'll go to a closer tire size here soon once I chew these down. Good work on your Studs, thAt is one project we are planning on doing next year. We were not aware they existed till the motor was already together.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbodanny
Mark what Cables you think I should go with? Collin and I were wondering the same thing but I think to be on the safe side I should go ahead and change them. Are there many options?
i think stock, cup cables and numeric cables are all thats available

Old 10-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Why don't you run rwd ?
Advice : put in a Tilton triple carbon clutch and you will zero issues. As far as trans go: even guards stuff breaks. Dont ask how I know. Lol.
It's an expensive long hard road to get into the 9s. I recall a few years back as some were building their "monsters"( No one here btw) and talking about 8s only to get quickly disappointed running mid 10s. I have 5 sets of tires trying to find the right combination between finishing on top of 4th and Hooking up.
Good luck.
Markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Why don't you run rwd ? Advice : put in a Tilton triple carbon clutch and you will zero issues. As far as trans go: even guards stuff breaks. Dont ask how I know. Lol. It's an expensive long hard road to get into the 9s. I recall a few years back as some were building their "monsters"( No one here btw) and talking about 8s only to get quickly disappointed running mid 10s. I have 5 sets of tires trying to find the right combination between finishing on top of 4th and Hooking up. Good luck. Markski
Hey Mark, I am running Rwd BTW and I just chose ERP most in the Porsche world went that way even though the Supra world Tilton is hands down the best. I just didn't hear of enough people with Porsches doing them. As for mid 10's my car did that on gate "16psi" I would really be disappoints to build this type of power and just get mid 10's. I'm beginning to wonder if driving has something to do with it lol. We'll figure it out in the next few Months or blow it up trying

Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Damn Danny! I have been in a 991TT Warp for a few weeks so sorry I have been low on communication. Awesome that you are already making smokey passes. Congrats brother! I am going to give you a buzz.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Damn Danny! I have been in a 991TT Warp for a few weeks so sorry I have been low on communication. Awesome that you are already making smokey passes. Congrats brother! I am going to give you a buzz.
Nice Catching up with you Sam, as always what you have cooking in the 991 World is Fire! Looks like we'll be dropping the Gearbox next week and getting to the root of our issues.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
damn them wheels look good, almost wish i kept them =P

Old 10-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
damn them wheels look good, almost wish i kept them =P
thanks Dude, the tires grip like there's no tomorrow as well. Very happy with them thanks again.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
26" up front and 27" in the Rear
Danny, regarding the ABS, if you can find one, you can put in a Porsche Motorsport ABS out of a Cup car. It's big money but will solve your brake issues once and for all while getting rid of PSM in the process. The Motorsport ABS is programmed for a 25.5/26.8" tall tire combo (1.3" differential). This is what I run and it's an amazing unit. There was a guy selling a used one on rennlist recently for $8K if I recall.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
thanks Dude, the tires grip like there's no tomorrow as well. Very happy with them thanks again.

what tires are you running?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Danny, regarding the ABS, if you can find one, you can put in a Porsche Motorsport ABS out of a Cup car. It's big money but will solve your brake issues once and for all while getting rid of PSM in the process. The Motorsport ABS is programmed for a 25.5/26.8" tall tire combo (1.3" differential). This is what I run and it's an amazing unit. There was a guy selling a used one on rennlist recently for $8K if I recall.
thanks John, I think I'll just change the tire size cause I'll be going through different tire sizes till I find what I'm looking for in performance. John, when you get time I need advice regarding Cup car Cables , my shifting is horrible

Old 10-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
what tires are you running?
there you go Mark

<CFKeyedArchiverUID 0x146b2ac0 [0x374cc8c0]>{value = 354}

Attached Images   
Old 10-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
there you go Mark <CFKeyedArchiverUID 0x146b2ac0 [0x374cc8c0]>{value = 354}
That's what I was using on the 996. Worked pretty good.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
John, when you get time I need advice regarding Cup car Cables , my shifting is horrible
Danny,
I run the PMNA Cup cables. This suckers are thick all metal cables (more like rods really) with all metal ends. They are probably 3x as thick as the stock cables and it would take a gorilla to break those in my opinion. They are German OEM factory race proven parts. With that said, they will add a little noise to the cabin but it's only detectable with the windows up as you get a bit of a whine. I can't tell any difference with the windows down. I would not put them on a strictly daily driver but doubt you would care about a little more noise.

I don't know what shifter you have but I run the PMNA Cup shifter along with the Cup selector lever. Best combo I've run on this car, very direct rifle bolt feel with a distinct metallic click as you go into gear. Almost every serious track guy runs this exact set up on their GT3s and turbos in my area. Hope that helps...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ran Skinnies up front?