996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Which is the best?
EVOMS
4.88%
Softronic
4.88%
GIAC
0%
VRtuned
0%
Other?
90.24%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

ECU FLASH. It's about to be 2016...Which is the best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:45 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by romeo62186
'

Seriously such a great post!! *bravo* Thank you! You pretty much hit all points very accurately!

P.S. I came from an almost stock 350z that I drove for 11 years and before that a 350rwhp 300zxtt.
you're welcome, i'm on the lower end of spectrum of folks here than understand much of any of this, and all here want to help guide you as to what might best suit your goals, and believe me when i say, that 32krazy could help you BUILD the damn car, while all i could do would be to help you find proper parts lol. so take it ALL with salt and really, good luck. the mod process when done correctly is a wonderful combination of joy = power and pain = $$$ lol. GL w it, whichever tune etc you decide on. just find a guide to help you. like sambott or markski ( again to only name two ) here, that won't try to sell you sh*t you don't "need"! or that isn't well "matched", as components and mods that are "staged" in terms of "order" and "compatibility" and are key to this at least being, a less troublesome endeavor. mismatched parts have the potential to be a modding nightmare. but for now, you're wise, to begin with a tune and exhaust, it'll wake the car UP.

cheers, you'll forget about that 350z in no time!

Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Wow, the options given in this poll suck, haha. I believe VRtuned is just re-branded Softronic anyways.

I am quite happy with my EPL tune, but I do believe that COBB is the best solution in 2016. If it were available when I did my tune, I would have gone COBB

Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
thats because out of the 4 choices 3 of them suck moose *****!

its truly funny everybody brags on epl evoms yes even cobb as the BEST tunes out there yet everybody has forgotten the OG of tuners todd knighton of protomotive. he was tuning these cars when ALL the others were still tuning audis and vw's
Interestingly... I wouldnt say thats a good argument of why to pick a tuner. In reality the VW/Audi platforms are much harder to tune.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
There are definitely several options. I have and still work with most all of them. Some better than others but one important fact is to see which suits your needs. That and a reputable name are key in my opinion. If I can be of any assistance feel free to drop a line anytime.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Interestingly... I wouldnt say thats a good argument of why to pick a tuner. In reality the VW/Audi platforms are much harder to tune.
that depends on your perspective tony. you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a vw /audi tuner. much harder to find a porsche tuner.

i have had m/b and porsches. i have used oe tuning, eurocharged, epl ,giac and proefi. i was never satisfied with any of the tuners customer service and the ability of the computers until i went standalone. its not for everybody but if you want the safest best fastest dataloging setup thats the way to go. my tuner is always available and his customer service is second to none.

Last edited by 32krazy!; 12-18-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:44 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Seems like these "vote on tune" posts just keep coming up , and wondering how much you think things really change? Most people only have experience with their one tune, so obviously post/vote for their tune...They just had this one a couple years ago and same thing, only more tunes were covered. Also this platform is getting older so I wonder how much NEW is going on?

The LAST "Which Tune" survey FWIW....

DC

Last edited by therock88; 12-19-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:15 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
^^ this. And the best post in the entire thread, post #3 by Mark (02996ttx50).

Asking a question the way the OP put it is not going to lead to a concise, helpful answer. A bit like saying: "I'm having dinner. What's the best wine?"

Steve (32krazy), the OP does not define what he's planning on doing, but he does say that a "tune is the best bang for the buck". That sounds much more like software and maybe something like an air filter (which I wouldn't even do, but it seems popular enough - air filter). Def not standalone territory. And I am not considering a standalone because I want my car to be so versatile, that if my wife drives it to Brussels and has a problem, she'd actually be able to get help instead of a tech taking one look at the car and going: OMG WTF?

OP, if I interpreted your wants correctly - mainly SW and not much else - then you'll likely be in good hands $-wise, service-wise, and performance-wise if you go to any of the guys who are active and helpful here on the forum: Markski, Kevin/UMW, Sambott, Tony@EPL. This not because one is better than another but because they know the market/industry and will listen to you and fill your needs.

You may get a better deal, though, from Switzer, Protomotive, or Evoms. Or I may have forgotten a major player in either list. Add to that, that with the exception of a very small number of folks here, people have dealt with one tuner. So getting a trend on an objective comparison is impossible.

You'd be better off saying: I am planning on doing such and such, my budget is approx $xyz, and I'd like to achieve such and such. Who has done similar? With what tuner? Good/bad experience?

My 2cents.

Last edited by stevemfr; 12-19-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevemfr
Steve (32krazy), the OP does not define what he's planning on doing, but he does say that a "tune is the best bang for the buck". That sounds much more like software and maybe something like an air filter (which I wouldn't even do, but it seems popular enough)(I mean air filter). Def not standalone territory. And I am not considering a standalone because I want my car to be so versatile, that if my wife drives it to Brussels and has a problem, she'd actually be able to get help instead of a tech taking one look at the car and going: OMG WTF?
i agree partially with what your saying. having standalone does mean the average tech would be lost. of course the average tech wouldn't touch my car no matter who is driving it. thats what AAA is for.
OP, if I interpreted your wants correctly - mainly SW and not much else - then you'll likely be in good hands $-wise, service-wise, and performance-wise if you go to any of the guys who are active and helpful here on the forum: Markski, Kevin/UMW, Sambott, Tony@EPL. This not because one is better than another but because they know the market/industry and will listen to you and fill your needs. You may get a better deal from Switzer, Protomotive, or Evoms. Or I may have forgotten a major player in either list. Add to that, that with the exception of a very small number of folks here, people have dealt with one tuner. So getting a trend on an objective comparison is impossible.
My 2cents.
again just my opinion but being active on here and hawking your software prowess with every post isn't a good indicator of your abilities. ever hear of flat6innovations? the owner designed the ims fix for the non turbo car. he hasn't had an advertising budget in over 20 yrs. his work is strictly word of mouth. engine builds are 10 months minimum at his shop due to specialty parts. protomotive acts the same way. never see them on here. but the talent is top shelf second to none on the factory dme. datalogs and personal experience tell the tale when it comes to tuners

Last edited by 32krazy!; 12-19-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:04 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Yes I know about Jack Raby and Charles Navarro - I come from the air-cooled world.

Being present on the board does not require an ad budget. In the grand scheme, becoming a board sponsor is cheap. The amount of time invested may not be. I think a lot has to do with a persons personality, business philosophy, and focus, though. And I wasn't necessarily touting the one or the other - that is why I said he might be better at Switzer et al. I see it kind of like the ebay 98% rule: all of the guys mentioned have supporters, not too many have some detractors. I am quite sure for a simple tune the OP would be well off with just about anyone mentioned in this entire thread. He might be slightly better off with one or another, but he's not going to get that answer the way the original question (poll) was posed. He might get a somewhat representative answer for which tuner is king of the popularity list if enough people vote in the poll. That will likely not help him get the best tune for his needs, tho.

All interesting and surely worth a discussion, but not necessarily answering the OP's question. :-)) (BTW, Just in case that didn't read through clearly, I agree completely that being present here does not reflect on qualifications)

He needs to define what he is looking for and ask for reports on similar experiences. IMO about the only way he's going to get any helpful replies.

Last edited by stevemfr; 12-19-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by stevemfr
Yes I know about Jack Raby and Charles Navarro - I come from the air-cooled world.

Being present on the board does not require an ad budget. In the grand scheme, becoming a board sponsor is cheap. The amount of time invested may not be. I think a lot has to do with a persons personality, business philosophy, and focus, though. And I wasn't necessarily touting the one or the other - that is why I said he might be better at Switzer et al. I see it kind of like the ebay 98% rule: all of the guys mentioned have supporters, not too many have some detractors. I am quite sure for a simple tune the OP would be well off with just about anyone mentioned in this entire thread. He might be slightly better off with one or another, but he's not going to get that answer the way the original question (poll) was posed. He might get a somewhat representative answer for which tuner is king of the popularity list if enough people vote in the poll. That will likely not help him get the best tune for his needs, tho.

All interesting and surely worth a discussion, but not necessarily answering the OP's question. :-)) (BTW, Just in case that didn't read through clearly, I agree completely that being present here does not reflect on qualifications)

He needs to define what he is looking for and ask for reports on similar experiences. IMO about the only way he's going to get any helpful replies.
succinct and well put. what i have found since owning the car is that imo is this particular car is becoming the new supra. its readily available and fairly inexpensive in relation to porsches as a whole. because of this tuners are coming from all brands of cars and prices are dropping drastically. not that this is a bad thing but it tends to lead the buying market by price not quality. in the past you went with the most experienced tuner and paid a fairly hefty price. now its who has the cheapest price and how many files can i get for free?

its a tough choice for most owners who want more power but really aren't ready for the associated costs that go with modding these cars. a simple tune is the first step to full on builds! (of course that would never happen to me!:roll eyes:)

Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 PM
rok_16 is on a distinguished road
I have a great experience whit marinski 911 tuning.com 996 tt stage 3 k16g 5bar tune the suport is awesome he answer my questions any hour 10 am 12 am also i am at tune 23 so for the inital price no extra cost i have many tune options i make changes all months add new parts
Great suport and same attention on my 997 turbo i am happy whit the suport whit marinski

Old 12-21-2015, 08:34 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
+1 for Markski
I have K16 Billets, injectors, IPD, and tune.
His customer support is second to none.
He has dialed in my car with many different tunes (no add'l charge) after reviewing my Durametric loggings. The car has been transformed, does great at the track, and still gets 24-25 MPG cruising on the interstate.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:55 AM
mxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
I'm going to guess everyone will go with what tune they have as they think it's the greatest.
Unless some have had more than one tune on the same car.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:16 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mxracer
Unless some have had more than one tune on the same car.
I originally had a name brand tune on my 996T and it was good but nothing great. It was a standard 1.0 bar with no tweaks using Durametric logging.

The improvement was night and day going to a Markski 1.2 bar tune tweaked with Durametric loggings.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:10 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
+1
Originally Posted by mxracer
unless some have had more than one tune on the same car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU FLASH. It's about to be 2016...Which is the best?