996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can a VTG turbo be controlled with an EBC or external controller

Old 12-17-2015, 06:13 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Can a VTG turbo be controlled with an EBC or external controller

Just wondering if it can be done or is it too difficult and needs stand alone or something...

Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
no, not with 996tt ecu. had been tried with 997tt and plex EBC (linked to the ECU) not a regular BC but much smarter. No need to run VTGs, go for A28, EFRs, GTX line etc.. will get more for less

Old 12-17-2015, 09:16 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Sounds like a fun project for an arduino

Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Yes. BTDT.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:51 AM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Yes. BTDT.
What is BTDT?

Old 12-18-2015, 07:11 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Old 12-18-2015, 09:06 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
There has been some vgt controllers developed in the past across different setups. Some of the fist ones were for duramaxes back in 07 when fleece performance created one.
Thing is the cost and the pita to do it is not worth the results. Much better off going with a nice ball bearing turbos.
Option 2 is due a quick spool valve but not worth the effort either on a twin setup in my opinion.

If you want vgt turbos, your probabaly better off just buying a 997

Old 12-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Can you share your done that experience?
Originally Posted by flewis763
There has been some vgt controllers developed in the past across different setups. Some of the fist ones were for duramaxes back in 07 when fleece performance created one.
Thing is the cost and the pita to do it is not worth the results. Much better off going with a nice ball bearing turbos.
Option 2 is due a quick spool valve but not worth the effort either on a twin setup in my opinion.

If you want vgt turbos, your probabaly better off just buying a 997
I ask because I may be able to get my hands on some 997.1 turbos on the cheap. I would be interested to know if they could be utilized.
My understanding is they make as much power as an upgraded k16 but with better response and torque curves.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:03 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
Rogue Tuning was working on a controller for VGT's for 944Turbos, might be worth contacting him

Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by YJosephTT
Can you share your done that experience?
Here you go.

Rather long story and lots of unnecessary things, but feel free to PM for questions.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
better off getting a set of k24/71hta turbos from srm. zero hassle more power and brand new. without even knowing your price I'm betting its close to the same. even if they are more you can sell yours to defray the cost

Old 12-19-2015, 01:38 PM
oldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to all
I actually talked to protuning freaks about this a few months back and you could actually do it. They are top notch scary smart tuners and best is to contact them but as far as I understood you would need to use an AEM Infinity standalone as it comes with support to control VTGs.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
since the vtgs are simply pwm, you "could" find a smart tuner who could adapt the stock N75 map and change the pid constants to get the desired boost, center 2 pins for activating and outer 2 are position sensors that can be ignored. Any standalone with boost control and ability to change these constants would also work. even the ams1000 boost co troller could do this

Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 AM
You'll need a controller (not a complete standalone), that has adjustable PWM frequency -most of them are fixed- and "easy" UI. Then some information how guide vane openings are set in 997 and general understanding of turbocharging... Tuning can be done by trial and error, basically these turbos can be set to full boost from idle (not something I'd recommend, referring to EGT), or as normally aspirated through the whole RPM range. And anything in between.
Then you MUST have EGT sensors, on both turbines' inlets, otherwise you'll melt your turbines.

I still had to try that full boost idle...well, actually not full boost, but abt 0.3-0.4 bar. =) I basically have two settings for boost (toggle switch), one for street with lower boost and progressive curve and the other for track.

Last edited by pete95zhn; 12-20-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
You'll need a controller (not a complete standalone), that has adjustable PWM frequency -most of them are fixed- and "easy" UI. Then some information how guide vane openings are set in 997 and general understanding of turbocharging...
if you have the turbos, u should be able to play around on the bench to achieve the desired settings.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can a VTG turbo be controlled with an EBC or external controller