996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

best bang for the buck NEXT round of mods???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:21 AM
sinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud of
best bang for the buck NEXT round of mods???

My 01 996TT tiptronic currently has evoms diverter valves, evoms tune and custom 2.5" x pipe exhaust (straight pipes). I am looking for the next best bang for the buck mods and what I can anticipate to spend and hp gain?

I'm thinking evoms intake and a version of upgraded turbos but I don't want to spend an arm and leg since I have other cars to spend money on as well and my girlfriend daily drives this car anyways - so I hardly get to drive it lol

Let me know your thoughts on which direction to go!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2cars.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	437989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6206.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	437991   Click image for larger version

Name:	background.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	596.2 KB
ID:	437992   Click image for larger version

Name:	backgroundfinal.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	437993   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	437995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5208.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	437996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5211.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	437997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5925.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	437998  
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I would expect your next bang for the buck to be suspension and not HP.

Later, Steve

Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
The intake might not give you the full 'bang' you are looking for. If you go with the EVO intake, you are probably going to need to switch to a Hitachi MAF and then are looking at having to get retuned for it.

Best bang for the buck is probably going to be upgrading to better flowing intercoolers before going to turbos.

With upgraded turbos you are going to need to upgrade the fuel system and the clutch. That is going to require an engine drop so $$$$ for labor and supporting mods.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Feel free to give me a call today. I think you have a few directions you could go in. Just have to hone down your goals with someone you feel comfortable with. Love to help if I can.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Seats. The car feels so different with racing seats.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
I would suggest more pictures of things that don't matter

Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by su_maverick
With upgraded turbos you are going to need to upgrade the fuel system and the clutch. That is going to require an engine drop so $$$$ for labor and supporting mods.
My car made 526whp and 515wtq with upgraded turbos, stock fuel system and stock clutch. The clutch wouldn't hold a dragstrip launch or a really quick shift to 4th, but other than that, it worked well for 75,000 miles.

Even at 75,000 miles, the clutch was still fine, but I had to replace a bearing in the transaxle, so I went ahead and upgraded the clutch.

Later, Steve

Old 01-22-2016, 04:14 PM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
Kevin @UMW

Old 01-22-2016, 06:21 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
My car made 526whp and 515wtq with upgraded turbos, stock fuel system and stock clutch. The clutch wouldn't hold a dragstrip launch or a really quick shift to 4th, but other than that, it worked well for 75,000 miles.

Even at 75,000 miles, the clutch was still fine, but I had to replace a bearing in the transaxle, so I went ahead and upgraded the clutch.

Later, Steve
Was the TQ detuned? Typically I see much higher torque numbers from the new batch of turbos out there which would probably account for a lot of the clutch wear. Fuel system entirely depends on what your duty cycle is on the injectors in the car. As long as you arent maxing them out, you are good. You can get by on a 5bar but that is still risky long term.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:50 AM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Some sort of turbo upgrade, the packages from marksi, Sam or epl seem to be the best bang for the buck per hp.
Next I would do intercoolers.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Why is a 5 bar risky?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:11 AM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Why is a 5 bar risky?
Higher the fuel pressure, more amperage pulled by pump (shorter life), more chance of injector getting stuck open, fuel is heated more...

Old 01-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Thx. I get a new clutch soon (sachs performance) and while the engine is out i will get a 5 bar. I still use stock k16 with a tune. But u never know...

Old 01-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Thx. I get a new clutch soon (sachs performance) and while the engine is out i will get a 5 bar. I still use stock k16 with a tune. But u never know...
so with all the reasons sean gave you NOT to use a 5 bar your going to install one?

Old 01-23-2016, 08:59 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
If the engine is out installing injectors is a piece of cake.
I have a Markski tune and K16 billet turbos.
When I upgraded my clutch with engine out I had injectors installed (among other things).
Nice improvement in power over 5 bar.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck NEXT round of mods???