996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to lower the motor a couple inches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Gixxed_Spyder is on a distinguished road
Question How to lower the motor a couple inches

I'm going to replacing a bunch of vacuum lines and it would be helpful if I had a little extra room up top (diverter valves, venturi tube, etc...) I found this post on how to replace motor mounts and was wondering if its the same process to lower the engine a bit? If so, how much can I safely lower the motor after unbolting those 2 motor mounts?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-part-nos.html

Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gixxed_Spyder
I'm going to replacing a bunch of vacuum lines and it would be helpful if I had a little extra room up top (diverter valves, venturi tube, etc...) I found this post on how to replace motor mounts and was wondering if its the same process to lower the engine a bit? If so, how much can I safely lower the motor after unbolting those 2 motor mounts? https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-part-nos.html
Support the motor and loosen the 2 bolts. Leave them mounted at the bottom of the threads and lower the motor. Watch the coolant hoses

Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I have dropped the engine up to 2 inches but the top intercooler hoses need to be disconnected. In this case the two engine bolts need to be completely removed.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by levinsje
I have dropped the engine up to 2 inches but the top intercooler hoses need to be disconnected. In this case the two engine bolts need to be completely removed.
yes, but when lowering below where the nuts would sit keep an eye on the waterhoses.

OP: are you replacing with original vacuum lines or aftermarket silicone ones?
Do you know the inner diametre of those and are they all the same size?

Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Gixxed_Spyder is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ronny-
OP: are you replacing with original vacuum lines or aftermarket silicone ones?
Do you know the inner diametre of those and are they all the same size?
I'm slowly compiling a list of hoses that need to be replaced while I'm pressure testing the system. I'm not sure of all the different diameters of the lines and I'm planning of going with OEM lines, however some of the stock lines are $40 for a 4 inch tube with a right angle - no idea why they are so expensive. If there was a complete kit of pre-cut aftermarket vacuum tubes I'd be interested, unfortunately I haven't found any. Most are just spools of vacuum tubing you have to cut yourself. After typing that out, it doesn't sound very challenging to do so. Perhaps there is a kit out there that has all the different diameter hoses needed, then simply cut to length - one by one.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
yeah i see from the partslist that there are many molded hoses, but also several of the pipe is standard hose which you can easily cut from a spool (measurements is in the parts catalogue)
But the moulded hoses are probably where the bends are, as a regular hose might bend so it chokes.

With regards to the sizing of those tubes it only says:
4x1.0
and
5x1.0

Not sure what that means, but i guess 4 and 5mm hoses.
The molded hoses are in even other sizes (not stated in the catalogue)