6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Speedtech 3" X-pipe installed (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/387559-speedtech-3-x-pipe-installed.html)

RDS993 03-26-2016 06:03 AM

Speedtech 3" X-pipe installed

3 Attachment(s)
Double staggered Ruf R style tips are over the top nice!

RDS993 03-26-2016 06:03 AM

Facebook Post

vogz 03-27-2016 08:42 PM

Nice!!! Mine is sitting under my car in my garage waiting to be installed.

996tt550hp 03-27-2016 09:13 PM

Sounds great but it will drone like crazy.

taylorcar 03-28-2016 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 996tt550hp (Post 4493476)
Sounds great but it will drone like crazy.

Why do you say that? I'm doing a 3" speedtech setup as well but I'm hoping the drone isn't headache inducing. I'm planning on doing 100 cell cats.

Is this a catless or catted setup? Once you take it out for a spin can you report back on the level of drone in the cabin? The double staggered tips look awesome.

**First post. Just recently picked up a new-to-me 02 996TT.

RDS993 03-28-2016 03:51 PM

No cats,

Ill report back tomorrow. The car is ready for a spin.

John@SpeedTech 03-28-2016 04:16 PM

Drone varies with cats vs. no cats (no cats introduces drone otherwise not present) and tip style affects drone as well. Our recommended SE tips are engineered to eliminate drone and do a good job of it.

A catless 3.0 XP with dual tips will have some drone. Our catted 3.0 XP with our sound engineered single round 3.0 tips (recommended) has very little drone and is comfortable for most people. I use it daily and find it perfectly acceptable and I am very sensitive to drone. We have gone to great lengths to address the drone issue on these systems and have found several ways to eliminate or substantially reduce it with design features we employ.

ASLAN 03-28-2016 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech (Post 4493989)
Drone varies with cats vs. no cats (no cats introduces drone otherwise not present) and tip style affects drone as well. Our recommended SE tips are engineered to eliminate drone and do a good job of it.

A catless 3.0 XP with dual tips will have some drone. Our catted 3.0 XP with our sound engineered single round 3.0 tips (recommended) has very little drone and is comfortable for most people. I use it daily and find it perfectly acceptable and I am very sensitive to drone. We have gone to great lengths to address the drone issue on these systems and have found several ways to eliminate or substantially reduce it with design features we employ.

I agree completely! I have 100 cell cats on a 3" system with 3" round tips and VERY little drone. John just sent me his cat bypass pipes so I am expecting that to change a bit, but I can always switch back. @996tt550hp, what are you basing your statement on???

BauerR 03-29-2016 07:27 AM

I feel like most people don't understand the difference between drone and loud.

RDS993 03-29-2016 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BauerR (Post 4494244)
I feel like most people don't understand the difference between drone and loud.

Agreed.

Also normally aspirated Porsche motors have a true annoying drone when running no cats/mufflers.

Turbochargers tend to muffle exhaust noise "somewhat" when running x-pipe/no cats.

BLKMGK 03-29-2016 03:25 PM

Many moons ago I had a Mustang with 2-chamber Flowmasters. That was both loud and THE worst drone I've ever experienced! The exhaust that was on my 996 when purchased wasn't too loud but I had to crack the window at cruise, drive 80, or drive in 5th to keep from feeling like my head was throbbing and pounding. Friends with better hearing than I refused to go anywhere in it as a result. Drone is just the right pitch to resonate through the interior and kill the driving pleasure. My old system had no crossover between sides at all which I think contributed. Added sound insulation proved useless to the low frequencies, worst at about 2200rpm. I was hesitant to drop cash on an exhaust having known others who had tried multiple systems in vain. I won't even resell my old system as I refuse to curse someone with it!

My suggestion, if at all possible, is to try and get a ride in a car that has the exhaust that you might want to buy and to listen to it from the outside too! Everyone has different tastes - and neighbors! :)

gophaster 03-29-2016 04:09 PM

Yup, that is a great way to describe DRONE! I remember years ago when I was a young buck lol (damn, it's been 26 years since then) I installed a full 2.5inch exhaust with test pipes and a straight thru dynomax on a then new '90 Integra. I didn't get but a few blocks away and I had to turn back to the exhaust shop because my EYES were literally vibrating in my skull from the drone.. it was absolutely terrible. We ended up slapping on a 3foot+ long resonator and that helped but it wasn't until I Turbo'd the car later that it got much better.

I agree 100% if you can get a test ride in a car with the exhaust you are interested in that is by far THE best way to decide. I am running a Speedtech 2.5" quiet and even with test pipes idle and cruising is very quiet (I mean stock quiet) BUT when you give her even slight throttle it gets MUCH louder than stock. I'm really happy with it. For anyone exhaust shopping...Definitely get a test ride if you can.

Originally Posted by BLKMGK (Post 4494585)
Drone is just the right pitch to resonate through the interior and kill the driving pleasure.

My suggestion, if at all possible, is to try and get a ride in a car that has the exhaust that you might want to buy and to listen to it from the outside too! Everyone has different tastes - and neighbors! :)

gophaster 03-29-2016 04:20 PM

Looks awesome! I am running the same tips on my Speedtech 2.5" Quiet. :cool:

Originally Posted by RDS993 (Post 4492779)
Double staggered Ruf R style tips are over the top nice!

taylorcar 03-30-2016 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RDS993 (Post 4493972)
No cats,

Ill report back tomorrow. The car is ready for a spin.

How did the test spin go? Are you happy with the sound?

RDS993 03-30-2016 01:06 PM

Maybe today!

The car is still in my shop getting GT3 seats installed.

I listened to it at idle today after the engine warmed up. I was surprised at how tame it sounds. I know under load it will be way different.
Facebook Post