6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Don't forget to clean out your intercooler ducts... (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/388851-dont-forget-clean-out-your-intercooler-ducts.html)

G-Rat 04-15-2016 11:24 PM

Don't forget to clean out your intercooler ducts...

Working on installing my new SRM intercoolers (bigger thread to follow) and noticed this while removing the stock intercoolers.

My first guess is that the previous owner was a smoker and threw them out the window while driving. Either that, or I just have bad luck and have sucked them all up over the last 13 years and 55,000 miles.

Either way, I think it's pretty damn funny. Can't be helping cooling/airflow much haha.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...e1b11346e4.jpg

timccloud 04-16-2016 03:45 AM

Regularly stick a vacuum hose down in my cooler inlets just as I stick it in the radiator inlets.

All sorts of crap get sucked in there especially since fitting Joes brilliant cooler inlet ducts.

Cheers men
Tim

'02996ttx50 04-16-2016 10:12 AM

until i screened mine i also picked up all manner of road debris. surprised there were nevr any small animals though i once hit a deer.

this cig butts though would've had to defy physics though if they had been tossed out by a previous owner lol

timccloud 04-16-2016 11:30 AM

What did you use to screen Mark? Pics please.

Tim

'02996ttx50 04-16-2016 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by timccloud (Post 4503585)
What did you use to screen Mark? Pics please.

Tim

just some home depot sh*t. cost about 10 bucks and i actually like it's look ( it's just silver mesh thin gauge chicken wire lol ) and its saving my rads as i removed the slats too.. i also use it when i sing country music at the f4h club and the county fairs here. thrown tomatos can hurt.

timccloud 04-16-2016 05:13 PM

Pics pls ma bro :cool:

JimTT 04-16-2016 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by timccloud (Post 4503447)
Regularly stick a vacuum hose down in my cooler inlets just as I stick it in the radiator inlets.

All sorts of crap get sucked in there especially since fitting Joes brilliant cooler inlet ducts.

Cheers men
Tim

Tim, do you just vacuum in through the inter cooler duct intake at the opening just below side rear windows?

timccloud 04-17-2016 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by JimTT (Post 4503735)
Tim, do you just vacuum in through the inter cooler duct intake at the opening just below side rear windows?

Yeah buddy i just shove my dysons hose down through the intakes as u describe and wiggle it about. I do it regularly usually I find only a few leaves come out but ive had all sorts including wrappers and butts etc. and I dont smoke :eek:

I do the exact same thing with the radiators but you get a better result by removing the front bar then splitting the A/C condensor and radiator apart a little bit.

Ive just bought a radiator comb which im looking forward to using once they finally let me leave the hospital. I had no idea what a radiator comb was until a few weeks ago :D

Cheers Men
Tim :cool:

JimTT 04-17-2016 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by timccloud (Post 4503812)
Yeah buddy i just shove my dysons hose down through the intakes as u describe and wiggle it about. I do it regularly usually I find only a few leaves come out but ive had all sorts including wrappers and butts etc. and I dont smoke :eek:

I do the exact same thing with the radiators but you get a better result by removing the front bar then splitting the A/C condensor and radiator apart a little bit.

Ive just bought a radiator comb which im looking forward to using once they finally let me leave the hospital. I had no idea what a radiator comb was until a few weeks ago :D

Cheers Men

I've never cleaned my IC intake, I better get cracking on that one but I do remove the front bar to clean rads about once a year.

Add; just looked up the comb, I've gotta get one of those. Who has them?

Originally Posted by timccloud (Post 4503815)
Mark this is a ridiculous photo mate ur supposed to be showing your IC intake mesh not ur car :confused:

we know what the bloody car looks like mate we all have one hilarious

I've got a feeling he thought we were talking about front rads and he was showing you the mesh on his front bar.

timccloud 04-17-2016 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by JimTT (Post 4503821)
I've never cleaned my IC intake, I better get cracking on that one but I do remove the front bar to clean rads about once a year.

just looked up the comb, I've gotta get one of those. Who has them?

I've got a feeling he thought we were talking about front rads and he was showing you the mesh on his front bar.

Oh **** were u Mark oops ill delete that post and Jimbo you will need to delete your quote then it will be like it never happened hilarious

ECS has the comb buddy i think it was less than 20 bucks :confused:

I reckon the comb will do wonders on my centre radiator :D

Cheers men

timccloud 04-17-2016 06:44 AM

Think it might be time for a reps all round to all my good buddies on 6speed hilarious

'02996ttx50 04-17-2016 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by timccloud (Post 4503838)
Oh **** were u Mark oops ill delete that post and Jimbo you will need to delete your quote then it will be like it never happened hilarious

ECS has the comb buddy i think it was less than 20 bucks :confused:

I reckon the comb will do wonders on my centre radiator :D

Cheers men

lol. agree. all deserve rep pts for none of "us" understanding what the other was asking for. couldve sworn tim was asking for a pic(s) of how i screened in my rads!? either way, pic will come down. lousy pic anyway! :rolleyes:

man, talk about all bein on a different page LOL ;)

JimTT 04-17-2016 02:36 PM

Yeah reps all around, still wont let me rep you Tim. I reckon they must think us Aussies have got some conspiracy thing going on...lol

timccloud 04-17-2016 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JimTT (Post 4504052)
Yeah reps all around, still wont let me rep you Tim. I reckon they must think us Aussies have got some conspiracy thing going on...lol

Really?? I've rep'd you Mark and the Hound plus quite a few others a number times lately bro.

And yes totally agree with them thinking some type of conspiracy is going on as there always totally paranoid about something or another. hilarious

'02996ttx50 04-17-2016 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by timccloud (Post 4504083)
Really?? I've rep'd you Mark and the Hound plus quite a few others a number times lately bro.

And yes totally agree with them thinking some type of conspiracy is going on as there always totally paranoid about something or another. hilarious

there are a few folks i rep often here at time on general principle alone. you and jams are among them, and i often get the admonition that "ya gotta spread the reps around" too soon for more etc lol... whatever. its nice to get them and give em back too ;)

sorry about that pic i removed! it was pretty lousy LOL. btw...hope yer doin somewhat better too!