996 Turbo 1,000hp build! - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Notices
996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo 1,000hp build!

Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
TPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant future
996 Turbo 1,000hp build!

TPC Racing has a long history of customizing Porsche cars to maximize their performance. With all of our experience developing bolt-on turbo conversion kits for NA Porsche vehicles and upgraded kits for factory Turbo cars, we have an extensive knowledge of forced induction engineering.

Familiar with our work and expertise with Porsche performance, one of our local customers brought his 996 Turbo in for an 800hp (at the crank) build about two years ago. With the following list of modifications, we were able to reliably produce 700hp to the wheels on a daily driven street car!

• Stock Short Block
• Custom grinded cams (proprietary specs)
• 997 Turbo intake manifold
• 997 Turbo inductive plumbing
• Methanol injection for octane
• Secondary Fuel Pump
• TPC Racing 775 Blitzkrieg Turbo Kit
_____• Blitzkrieg VTG Turbochargers
_____• TPC Racing Blitzkrieg 100mm Intercooler
_____• TPC Racing Blitzkrieg Headers
_____• Europipe Stage II Exhaust
_____• TPC Racing custom Blitzkrieg ECU Tune

This spring, the customer reached back out to us wondering if we could introduce even more horsepower to the setup - 1,000+hp to the crank to be exact.

Challenge accepted.

With that said, here is where it is important to understand the intended use of this car and the added challenges that provides. This car is a daily street driven 996 Turbo. Neither the car nor the driver lives their life a quarter mile at a time. That said, producing a car with 1,000hp that can’t deliver on street comfort, safety, and reliability simply won’t suffice.

It’s not terribly difficult to bring a 996 Turbo to 1,000hp if comfort, safety, and reliability aren’t a top priority. However, to produce 1,000hp in a 15+ year old car that is still driven daily takes a fine balance of knowledge, skill, precision, patience, and finesse. With every large increase in horsepower, we must take steps to improve the durability of the engine and supporting systems.

Stay tuned as we update the thread with a mods list and more info on how we improved the intake system, engine, fuel system, suspension, etc. Dyno results to follow!

For Sales & Inquiries:
[email protected]
Friend us on Facebook
Old 05-06-2016, 02:28 PM
DSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond repute
Looking forward to the build!

Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 PM
brnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond repute
Just need 12mm studs and rods.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
TPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant futureTPC Racing has a brilliant future
Engine Mods

The first phase of bringing this car up to 1,000hp is – you guessed it – dropping the engine. There's no way an engine can reliably withstand 1,000hp with stock internals. After the engine is dropped and stripped down, we address the heads, cam, and connecting rods.

Heads:
In order to introduce more air into the engine, we port the heads to proprietary specs. All porting is done in-house by our lead tech, Marco. After serving as a tech in the British Supercup, Marco now resides with TPC Racing both on the road with the race team and in the shop.

Camshaft:
Our custom proprietary cam grinding and timing increases valve lift/duration and features a revised lobe center line and separation to optimize the usable power band. All grinding and timing of the camshaft is done by owner/engineer, Michael Levitas.

Connecting Rods:
While much of the Mezger engine in the 996 Turbo can withstand the large increase in horsepower, the factory connecting rods would still lend themselves to bending with the increase. We went with forged steel 4130 H-Beam connecting rods with high strength fasteners to stand up to the added power. We also replaced the studs with an upgraded stud kit.

For Sales & Inquiries:
[email protected]
Friend us on Facebook
Old 05-10-2016, 07:17 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
If that is what the finally porting looks like, I'm sorry to say but that is pretty sad. I do a lot of porting myself and that is a pretty poor final product. I'd suggest spending a bit more time on them.
For example this is the exhausr side on a ej257 head I did for a customer. You want come roughness on the intake side but just hitting with a carbide burr and calling it done is not right.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 PM
pwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond repute
These is the porting that Todd McKenzie did on my heads:

BEFORE:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/qmbSh5]

AFTER:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/qYRcon]

BEFORE:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/ri4ABP]

AFTER:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/rfSqQ3]

FLOW NUMBERS:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/rrzTDr]

Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 PM
brnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond reputebrnrdtns has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, beautiful port work.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:29 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnrdtns View Post
Wow, beautiful port work.
Thanks, here is more of mine. Not trying to take away from the guys build thread.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by flewis763 View Post
If that is what the finally porting looks like, I'm sorry to say but that is pretty sad. I do a lot of porting myself and that is a pretty poor final product. I'd suggest spending a bit more time on them.
For example this is the exhausr side on a ej257 head I did for a customer. You want come roughness on the intake side but just hitting with a carbide burr and calling it done is not right.

You've got a keen eye. It was actually just his first go around. He did more work on them another day, but I wasn't at the shop to take photos unfortunately, so this is what I had to work with for photos. I'm confident that the final results will speak for the workmanship that went into the build.

For Sales & Inquiries:
[email protected]
Friend us on Facebook
Old 05-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
As briefly mentioned when addressing the engine mods, introducing more air into the system is vital. I don't think I need to go into detail about the role air or fuel play in an engine here on Rennlist, so I'll skip to the point.

When this car sat at 800hp we had upgraded to a 997 Turbo intake manifold and throttle body. However, to boost it up to the 1,000hp goal we have now replaced this with a 997 GT3 intake manifold and throttle body. In addition, we upgraded to larger, 42 lb. compressor turbos, and as previously mentioned we ported the heads to proprietary specs.

For Sales & Inquiries:
[email protected]
Friend us on Facebook
Old 06-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
Update & Honorable Mention

I failed to mention it in any previous posts, and there isn't a whole lot to say about it. However, it's worth mentioning that this stage of the build also included upgrading to bigger fuel injectors (82 lbs) and increasing the fuel pressure regulator.

The bigger news...

This post was kind of backdated. The car has already been returned to the customer, and he is absolutely loving it! We will be posting dyno results at the end of the week. Stay tuned.

-Jordan

For Sales & Inquiries:
[email protected]
Friend us on Facebook
Old 06-06-2016, 03:10 PM
bsh
bsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to all
Nice build Looking forward to the dyno results
This 996TT is the most beautiful 996TT I have ever seen. A set of wheels and it looks just fantastic

Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned
32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TPC Racing View Post
I failed to mention it in any previous posts, and there isn't a whole lot to say about it. However, it's worth mentioning that this stage of the build also included upgrading to bigger fuel injectors (82 lbs) and increasing the fuel pressure regulator.

The bigger news...

This post was kind of backdated. The car has already been returned to the customer, and he is absolutely loving it! We will be posting dyno results at the end of the week. Stay tuned.

-Jordan
1000 hp on 861 cc injectors? whats the idc on those? 110%? by a fuel injector calculator you should be running a 1300 cc injector minimum.
http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

Old 06-06-2016, 05:55 PM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
1000 hp on 861 cc injectors? whats the idc on those? 110%? by a fuel injector calculator you should be running a 1300 cc injector minimum.
http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php
Ditto

Old 06-06-2016, 07:03 PM
BLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond reputeBLKMGK has a reputation beyond repute
They bumped fuel pressure, likely running a 5BAR if I had to make an educated guess.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo 1,000hp build!

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.