996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suspension Issue....too low in front

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM
goducks has a spectacular aura aboutgoducks has a spectacular aura aboutgoducks has a spectacular aura about
Suspension Issue....too low in front

I recently purchased an 04 996tt Cab. It came with lowering springs (non-adjustable)and 19" BBS wheels. The front wheel arch measures 24 3/4" and the rear measures 25 3/4. I have already gone through a front lip and have damaged my drivers side front wheel liner. Although, the wheel liner may have been damaged when my front lip ripped off as I accelerated onto the freeway. (I did learn that I should remove a partially torn lip from the car in the future.) However, I assume it was caused by my tire.

I feel that I definitely need to raise the front end, but would still like to stay lower than stock. I will not track the car...sigh...but, still like a firmer feel with my suspension without having the car "skipping like a stone" on uneven back roads.

I got confused reading posts when members would state that if certain suspension systems are purchased, then one needs to add other "hardware" to complete the package. I am looking to keep things relatively simple and don't mind replacing the lowering springs with a "better" alternative. It seems that coilovers make a lot of sense and would purchase a decent set, but didn't want the suspension upgrade to escalate cost-wise into what some of you guys spend for being competitive on the track.

I do have a stage one GIAC chip, Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust, and decent BBS wheels...the suspension needs some work though...

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2016, 11:58 AM
sprinterman is on a distinguished road
Too low in the front scrapes on the speed bumps and I also scrape on the ramp from our underground carpark if I leave too fast. Raise it up a bit if you are primarily street driven. Adjustable coilovers will help you set the perfect stance for the car, just make sure you talk to the vendor to spec out the right springs for your ride height and needs.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
I also have lowering springs. H&R on stock shocks (40k miles). The front has been sagging over time, getting lower and lower.

Not sure on your budget, but for street popular choices; PSS10 (as is or possibly w/ stiffer springs) or KW V3’s. Ohlins, on the higher end of these two.

I’m doing JRZ’s RS2. I’m into spirited driving and occasional track days. I also have other suspension bits, but not mandatory. People replace the stock items (links / bushings) with upgrades, as these cars are getting older and older.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:28 AM
goducks has a spectacular aura aboutgoducks has a spectacular aura aboutgoducks has a spectacular aura about
I am not a DIY guy and was hesitant to go to shop and just ask what they suggest. I was thinking H&R Coilovers or PSS10s. Ohlins sound great, but is the price differential worth the cost?

I doubt I will take this car to track...our local track requires a roll bar and I am not too sure It is worth buying one for just a couple of track days.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:40 AM
I meant to ask if the ride and handling quality between using Ohlin coilovers and the PSS10s, or H&Rs are worth the difference in cost?

I am not familiar with coilovers. I probably will never track this car. It's a Cab and the local track requires a roll bar. So there is some more $$$ involved to take on track for a few days each year.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
There’s hardly any options for shocks and springs upgrades (RoW shocks / springs), so everyone opts to go with coilovers. PSS10’s will give you the height adjustment and better then stock ride / handling. Similar with H&R Street or better H&R RSS Coil Over Kit (better springs / performance then street version). Moving up from there, KW V3, Ohlins these are going to give you better feel / adjustability and start leaning towards track.

For street and height adjustability either PSS10, H&R RSS, H&R Street have seemd to the popular choices. Ohlins has been the new kid on the block, upping it’s popularity. You could then even put on a set of F&R sways bars to better the handling.

Go big or go home, my motto! haha.. For the street Ohlins! (similar in price with PSS10) If you’re leaning towards H&R get the RSS kit.

Pwdrhound, heavychevy are the suspension gurus ;-) See if they’ll chime (or send PM) in and give you more insight.

Have a great Memorial Day!

Old 05-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Olemiss540 is on a distinguished road
This covered all of your options, the only thing I will add is the RSS adds additional chassis stiffness that may not be an improvement for a strictly street driven car.....

Originally Posted by Page
There’s hardly any options for shocks and springs upgrades (RoW shocks / springs), so everyone opts to go with coilovers. PSS10’s will give you the height adjustment and better then stock ride / handling. Similar with H&R Street or better H&R RSS Coil Over Kit (better springs / performance then street version). Moving up from there, KW V3, Ohlins these are going to give you better feel / adjustability and start leaning towards track.

For street and height adjustability either PSS10, H&R RSS, H&R Street have seemd to the popular choices. Ohlins has been the new kid on the block, upping it’s popularity. You could then even put on a set of F&R sways bars to better the handling.

Go big or go home, my motto! haha.. For the street Ohlins! (similar in price with PSS10) If you’re leaning towards H&R get the RSS kit.

Pwdrhound, heavychevy are the suspension gurus ;-) See if they’ll chime (or send PM) in and give you more insight.

Have a great Memorial Day!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:47 PM
Good info thanks...I really enjoy the car and will go with the coilovers over a new set of springs. I am taking to my local shop tommorrow to get their opinion and then order parts. I don't mind adding sway bars...just need to come up with an explanation for the wife that the sway bars are necessary...lol

Old 05-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
call olsen motorsports in chicago. jrz rebuilder midwest representative for jrz and super nice guy. he can guide you in choosing the right coilovers. be warned above pss10 or h&r your looking at 5000$ and up for adjustable coilovers not counting drop links or sway bars

Old 05-30-2016, 04:49 PM
oldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really niceoldturd is just really nice
Give Motion Control Suspension a shot as well.

The "J" in JRZ is part of MCS now.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Email

troy@performanceshock.com

Top service advice and best price guarranteed

Old 05-31-2016, 01:31 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
just lower the car around 1" - and you should be set.