996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Front rotors and pads installed last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:31 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Front rotors and pads installed last night

Girodisc with Endless MX72. I've had the pads for a couple of years, happy to finally get them installed. So far so good, and less dust to boot. Install was fairly easy.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:45 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Very nice

Old 05-28-2016, 04:29 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
If that's the front side marker in the upper right hand corner of the first picture, either the discs don't come in left side and right side versions, or the disc is installed incorrectly with the slots reversed relative to the forward rotation of the wheel.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:09 AM
Akatsuki... is on a distinguished road
I just ordered the same pads. How do you like yours?

Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spooltime
If that's the front side marker in the upper right hand corner of the first picture, either the discs don't come in left side and right side versions, or the disc is installed incorrectly with the slots reversed relative to the forward rotation of the wheel.
I'm a Giro dealer. Discs are installed correctly on OPs car as pictured. The slots on Giros are oriented opposite of the internal vanes.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:23 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I installed as per labeled by Girodisc

Left on the drivers side, right on the passenger side.

Here is a pic below of another member's car with Girodisc's installed, take note of the 2 pictures on the bottom, they are clearly the front of the car. Mine appeared to be installed exactly the same way.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-996tt.html

You have me second guessing myself Unless Girodisc labeled them wrong, I was very careful to put left on drivers, right on passenger.

Anyone else care to chime in ? My picture at the top of the thread is the front passenger side, side market is to the right.

Thanks.

Last edited by JSBear; 05-28-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Thank you for clarification

I must say I was having a WTF seriously moment. I'm very picky about following directions, and felt I had done so

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I'm a Giro dealer. Discs are installed correctly on OPs car as pictured. The slots on Giros are oriented opposite of the internal vanes.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:44 AM
Kind of early to say definitively

But so far everything seems very nice, I did alot of pad research a few years ago when I bought the MX72's, and everything I read was extremely positive for an aggressive street pad, that could double for some occasional light track use. I didn't like all the dust with the stock pads as well, these seem to dust alot less, after driving for about 25 miles, there was alot less visible dust on my front wheels then my rears. I haven't done the rears yet, so they are still stock. No pad noise to speak of as of yet, good bite etc.

Originally Posted by Akatsuki...
I just ordered the same pads. How do you like yours?

Last edited by JSBear; 05-28-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:46 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
The most important determinate of disc installation is the direction of the cooling veins in the disc, regardless of whether or not they're slotted. If the veins are curved, then the disc must be installed so that the cooling veins curve toward the rear of the car. For non-curved cooling veins, it makes no difference; they can be installed either way. The purpose of the slots is to de-glaze the pads. The prevailing school of thought is that the slots work most efficiently when the slots angle towards the rear of the car so that dust is forced out by centrifugal force. But if the slots are cut facing forward on a curved vein disc, use the direction of the vein curves (if any) as the determining factor for direction of installation, not the slots. Just know the forward facing slots are less efficient than rear facing slots, regardless of direction of the cooling veins in the disc.

I don't know, are the Giro discs directionally vented or not?

Old 05-28-2016, 07:20 PM
I appreciate the info, not sure where you are going with this, I know Pwdrhound has alot of experience with these rotors on the track, and has had nothing but positive things to say.

I will leave them as is, installed as recommended by the vendor.

http://www.girodisc.com

Thanks.

The most important determinate of disc installation is the direction of the cooling veins in the disc, regardless of whether or not they're slotted. If the veins are curved, then the disc must be installed so that the cooling veins curve toward the rear of the car. For non-curved cooling veins, it makes no difference; they can be installed either way. The purpose of the slots is to de-glaze the pads. The prevailing school of thought is that the slots work most efficiently when the slots angle towards the rear of the car so that dust is forced out by centrifugal force. But if the slots are cut facing forward on a curved vein disc, use the direction of the vein curves (if any) as the determining factor for direction of installation, not the slots. Just know the forward facing slots are less efficient than rear facing slots, regardless of direction of the cooling veins in the disc.

I don't know, are the Giro discs directionally vented or not?

Old 05-28-2016, 08:04 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSBear
I appreciate the info, not sure where you are going with this, I know Pwdrhound has alot of experience with these rotors on the track, and has had nothing but positive things to say.

I will leave them as is, installed as recommended by the vendor.

http://www.girodisc.com

Thanks.
Giros are great rotors. I've sold tons of these. You won't have any issues.