996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help with chasing misfires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:16 AM
Turok is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Need help with chasing misfires

I started regularly getting a CEL this season. It flashes for about 10-15 seconds and the turns off. These are the errors:
Click image for larger version

Name:	o26tzFP.png
Views:	11
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	538778

Misfire errors occur once in 3 days. I cannot re-create the conditions under which it happens. Sometimes it's during hard acceleration (or right after it), sometimes when I'm just cruising. It's pretty much random.

The P0001 error occured a couple of days ago. CEL stayed on for a day and then went off.

PIWIS diagnostics at my workshop showed NOTHING wrong with any of the parameters. Spark plugs were changed a year ago, coils were changed just recently. No effect.

I did not drive the car in winter, errors started occuring since spring.

Shop wants to swap oxygen sensors to see if the errors will transfer to cylinders 4-6. But it seems a bit of a hassle, cause I will have to drive the car for a couple of days for results.

Any suggestions?

Could it be bad gas quality? I moved in fall and changed my gas station obviously..

Old 07-29-2016, 05:28 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
You need to change sparkplugs and ignition coils.
Which plugs did u put in? is your car tuned.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Turok is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
You need to change sparkplugs and ignition coils.
Which plugs did u put in? is your car tuned.
Well, that's what I wrote. I changed sparkplugs at the end of last summer. Drove a bit in fall, then problems started to occur after I had taken the car out in spring this year. I did change ignition coils, but that did not help.

Car is tuned by Wendland in Germany (K16 billets, intake, exhaust, flash). It should've been around 580hp in 2002, I doubt all horses are there now. Plan to dyno it after I'm done with repairs.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
As you have replaced your coils and fitted the correct plugs, Id check for vacuum leaks buddy

I'd say the vacuum hose to your Fuel Pressure Regulator has either perished or broken either that or a vacuum leak else where.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:11 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Your FPR hose could have come disconnected. On my 997 turbo it did and it caused a lot of issues that were hard to track down.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Turok
Well, that's what I wrote. I changed sparkplugs at the end of last summer. Drove a bit in fall, then problems started to occur after I had taken the car out in spring this year. I did change ignition coils, but that did not help.

Car is tuned by Wendland in Germany (K16 billets, intake, exhaust, flash). It should've been around 580hp in 2002, I doubt all horses are there now. Plan to dyno it after I'm done with repairs.
I have the same misfires on one bank only. New plugs and coils didn't help at all just like you. I've done a pressure test and replaced O2 sensors. A buddy of mine works on a lot of Porsches at his shop and he's 99% sure it's the Cam actuator on that bank. The bracket that holds it in is in good condition (sometimes a problem on these cars). I'll be replacing the actuator as soon as it arrives, and report my findings.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:43 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Vogz... yes it's the variable valve lift I be leave . Had the same problem. That solinoid is on the top back not on the cylinder head with the bracket. Try taking the electrical connection off and back on a few times. That fixed mine.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:18 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pat
Vogz... yes it's the variable valve lift I be leave . Had the same problem. That solinoid is on the top back not on the cylinder head with the bracket. Try taking the electrical connection off and back on a few times. That fixed mine.
Are you talking about this:

or this:

Mechanic buddy of mine said it was the first one with the bracket.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:52 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
I think it is the second one. They are located were I circled.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Interesting. My Porsche mechanic buddy said he's never had to change those, only the ones with the bracket.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:29 PM
pat
Right I didn't have to change them eather. The electrical connector was not making good contact. I just took it on and off a few times and used contact cleaner and the problem went away.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Ah, ok, I'll try that too. Thanks!

Edit: Did you access the plug from the top or bottom of car?

Last edited by vogz; 07-29-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by vogz
Ah, ok, I'll try that too. Thanks!

Edit: Did you access the plug from the top or bottom of car?
Never mind, I pulled Airbox and it was right there. Cleaned connection and re-installed. Test drive today.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:46 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I had a similar issue and changing to the correct plugs recommended by the tuner fixed the issue. I have K16 billets, injectors, and 1.2 bar tune.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vogz
I have the same misfires on one bank only. New plugs and coils didn't help at all just like you. I've done a pressure test and replaced O2 sensors. A buddy of mine works on a lot of Porsches at his shop and he's 99% sure it's the Cam actuator on that bank. The bracket that holds it in is in good condition (sometimes a problem on these cars). I'll be replacing the actuator as soon as it arrives, and report my findings.
+1 correct

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help with chasing misfires