996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hunting Idle after warm up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Pacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I just spent 6 months on phone emails and text trying to get a remote car running right... the shop apparently did all the tests right?
when I finally go the client to get the car out of there, took it to another shop, and we immediately found a vac hose off the dvs... problem solved. If I would get a $1 for every text, email, and video/pic I have to send or look at I would be a millionaire... unfortunately Im just a tuner that extends help to my clients meanwhile fancy shops charge $160/hour for not knowing how to even data log or do a proper pressure test...
You're a valuable individual to this community and to the tuning world. I followed your instruction with a homemade pressure tester my local Porsche guy actually had a little custom made tester (shocked)-let me borrow it tonight which was great.

Pressurized to 20psi- Yea definitely leaks near the N75 and shockingly the little T line by the Dvs.

Most Concerning a line running from right side of the car (maybe fuel related- also noticed it was in issue in your video)

It runs to the T style Hose below the throttle body was actually cracked... I noticed as I was going to Zip Tie off the area because I heard rushing air while pressure was lost during the test, in that area.

Touched the line and the plastic black "hose/line" made a clean snap the remainder of the way in my hand. Awesome.... Everythings going great and always something unexpected needs to happen...

Now the question I have, is do I need to order a genuine Porsche part that is this black plastic line, or is there a generic line I could grab at an autoparts store/hardware store.. I'm all for doing things right and sticking with the right parts for the Turbo, however, as my car is completely tore down in the middle of my garage-I would like to remedy the problem sooner than later- if the remedy is going to yield a reliable outcome.

Maybe I could text you the image or try and upload from my phone. I see on it- it says DIN 7338. I'll google what I can make of a part Number.. Thanks everyone. I'm dying to see how the car will run one of these decades once I get through these wonderful unplanned issues.

Chris

Last edited by Pacileo01TT; 10-06-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
I used 4mm (3/16") silicone hose to replace all the small hoses I could get to, and zip tied all the connections.
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/Vacuu...egory--25.html

Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Pacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to all
Well- glad I did the boost leak test- I found a lot of areas that definitely were leaking- now are zip tied and good to go. Had to get some new Vac. Line for a valve (not the FPR) valve like I originally thought, but over on that side. I can say the car is leak free now which is great. Noticed my boost coming on quite easily at part throttle, was barely seeing anything until romping it before. PSM ABS light is off, CEL is gone (drove near 40 Miles tonight)

Still- I am struggling with this hunting idle. I recorded a video on my phone, not sure where to upload it but the issue is definitely noticeable when standing behind the car and in the drivers seat. The RPMs don't appear to be jumping on the tach like crazy but I still feel as if it has a hesitation before breaking the 2800 mark. (Not the variocam feeling either)

I pulled codes- Only thing I am coming up with are the past codes it was showing.. I have a P0300, P0304, and P0305... So that's random misfire and cylinders 4 and 5.

I am beginning to wonder if my brand new coils could be the culprit or somehow tune related? The car was GIAC tuned by previous owner.

MAF is brand new, filter brand new, fuel filter brand new, plugs, coils brand new. (Just did it all)

Monitoring the battery, it appears to hold near a steady 14V while idling and as I drive the car. I'm guessing that is where I need to be as well, so alternator likely not a cause

Oil pressure is good and steady as well..

No clue..

Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pacileo01TT
Well- glad I did the boost leak test- I found a lot of areas that definitely were leaking- now are zip tied and good to go. Had to get some new Vac. Line for a valve (not the FPR) valve like I originally thought, but over on that side. I can say the car is leak free now which is great. Noticed my boost coming on quite easily at part throttle, was barely seeing anything until romping it before. PSM ABS light is off, CEL is gone (drove near 40 Miles tonight)

Still- I am struggling with this hunting idle. I recorded a video on my phone, not sure where to upload it but the issue is definitely noticeable when standing behind the car and in the drivers seat. The RPMs don't appear to be jumping on the tach like crazy but I still feel as if it has a hesitation before breaking the 2800 mark. (Not the variocam feeling either)

I pulled codes- Only thing I am coming up with are the past codes it was showing.. I have a P0300, P0304, and P0305... So that's random misfire and cylinders 4 and 5.

I am beginning to wonder if my brand new coils could be the culprit or somehow tune related? The car was GIAC tuned by previous owner.

MAF is brand new, filter brand new, fuel filter brand new, plugs, coils brand new. (Just did it all)

Monitoring the battery, it appears to hold near a steady 14V while idling and as I drive the car. I'm guessing that is where I need to be as well, so alternator likely not a cause

Oil pressure is good and steady as well..

No clue..
personally i never had any luck with giac. yrmv. if you have misfire issues pull the plugs and inspect them. its not cheap but protomotive mafless file will change the entire car

Old 10-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
personally i never had any luck with giac. yrmv. if you have misfire issues pull the plugs and inspect them. its not cheap but protomotive mafless file will change the entire car
Yes- that's the next move, probably next week since I'll be tied up this weekend. A new tune is sounding better and better the more I continue to think about it. I really like Marksi's products and flashes.

I will have to also read up more on the Promotive threads. Going MAFLESS sounds pretty nice route to take.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Congrats on getting mostly everything sorted out. It's a great feeling to fix those leaks and have the car running property.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:21 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Yes- that's the next move, probably next week since I'll be tied up this weekend. A new tune is sounding better and better the more I continue to think about it. I really like Marksi's products and flashes.

I will have to also read up more on the Promotive threads. Going MAFLESS sounds pretty nice route to take.
Protomotive Mafless is the best move ur going to make

Old 10-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jeanmarcboilard
Congrats on getting mostly everything sorted out. It's a great feeling to fix those leaks and have the car running property.
Yea it is definitely a better feeling knowing vacuum issues are resolved. Kind of insane all the locations it was leaking at yet still holding boost to redline.. Definitely more choppy before though.

Just gotta get this idle solved

Old 10-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by timccloud
Protomotive Mafless is the best move ur going to make
I'm doing some reading on it actually. Definitely an option- any vendor sponsorship or someone you would recommended me to talk with directly? It does have my interest

Old 10-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
todd knighton is protomotive

Old 10-09-2016, 02:06 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Talk to Todd

sales@protomotive.com

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Problem resolved!

Well after a few weeks of chasing down this hunting idle, I have finally resolved the problem... Never would've in a million years suspected the issue.

So after doing some research, talked with my tuner- the guys at (GIAC) who were absolutely great to deal with. I decided to pull my brand new Bosch plugs and re-gap them to the STOCK gap .032...

Put the car back together, made sure my 997 Coil packs were properly seated/clipped in wiring harness etc, reconnected all IC plumbing (made sure everything was properly seated) not fun tearing my bumper back off for stupid sh*t). Fired up the car- COMPLETELY smooth idle. Let it run up to operating temp (idle perfect). I've since put roughly 180 Miles on the car and it is running flawless. Moral of the story- apparently keep the Bosch plugs at the factory gap (at least with my tune).

Now, the car was pulling hard prior once off idle, but I must say, top end has improved a bit more after making my adjustment. I spike around 1.1-1.2 if real cool out, then hold a solid 1.0 bar in a nice 3rd gear pull.

This could also be attributed to all of you who encouraged me to do a boost leak test (and thank you for that) I had a few weak areas- and they are now all Zip Tied- Thanks Markski!!- You're video is excellent my friend!)

Furthermore- notably better- no more hesitation from idle to 2200 rpms. Car all around runs like it should. CELS are completely gone (was seeing random P0300 codes with the idle issue.)

Worst cost incurred during this troubleshooting was a brand new Bosch MAF (Good news) I now have a spare MAF that works well for back up.

Would like to also note- my car was tuned at 8,000 Miles back in 2003/2004 by Champion Motorsport in FL., with GIAC software. My car has covered over 100,000 miles (with full service history in hand). Shows that even with a 1.0-1.2 bar tune, these cars are robust----when these cars are properly maintained, with safe software by a reputable companies (like many of our tuners on the form).

Next order of business- one thing I am very much considering is some new Silicone IC hoses. My car is an 01 and I wonder if it would be in my better interest with age and mileage to at least tackle them next? My car is also a full street car, No track time now, probably wont be tracking it in the future, so I don't know if IC upgrades are worth it, but hoses seem like a good investment as I plan to keep the car for many, many years. Open to suggestions!

Sorry for the long response,hopefully this can be of assistance to someone when troubleshooting a hunting idle.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Good news!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jeanmarcboilard
Good news!
Yes! I have been enjoying my car quite a bit the past couple weeks. Trying to get as much drive time before I have to get it stored for winter here in the Northeast.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:34 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't replace IC hoses unless needed.

If they are in good shape and passed your pressure test, why bother ?

Well after a few weeks of chasing down this hunting idle, I have finally resolved the problem... Never would've in a million years suspected the issue.

So after doing some research, talked with my tuner- the guys at (GIAC) who were absolutely great to deal with. I decided to pull my brand new Bosch plugs and re-gap them to the STOCK gap .032...

Put the car back together, made sure my 997 Coil packs were properly seated/clipped in wiring harness etc, reconnected all IC plumbing (made sure everything was properly seated) not fun tearing my bumper back off for stupid sh*t). Fired up the car- COMPLETELY smooth idle. Let it run up to operating temp (idle perfect). I've since put roughly 180 Miles on the car and it is running flawless. Moral of the story- apparently keep the Bosch plugs at the factory gap (at least with my tune).

Now, the car was pulling hard prior once off idle, but I must say, top end has improved a bit more after making my adjustment. I spike around 1.1-1.2 if real cool out, then hold a solid 1.0 bar in a nice 3rd gear pull.

This could also be attributed to all of you who encouraged me to do a boost leak test (and thank you for that) I had a few weak areas- and they are now all Zip Tied- Thanks Markski!!- You're video is excellent my friend!)

Furthermore- notably better- no more hesitation from idle to 2200 rpms. Car all around runs like it should. CELS are completely gone (was seeing random P0300 codes with the idle issue.)

Worst cost incurred during this troubleshooting was a brand new Bosch MAF (Good news) I now have a spare MAF that works well for back up.

Would like to also note- my car was tuned at 8,000 Miles back in 2003/2004 by Champion Motorsport in FL., with GIAC software. My car has covered over 100,000 miles (with full service history in hand). Shows that even with a 1.0-1.2 bar tune, these cars are robust----when these cars are properly maintained, with safe software by a reputable companies (like many of our tuners on the form).

Next order of business- one thing I am very much considering is some new Silicone IC hoses. My car is an 01 and I wonder if it would be in my better interest with age and mileage to at least tackle them next? My car is also a full street car, No track time now, probably wont be tracking it in the future, so I don't know if IC upgrades are worth it, but hoses seem like a good investment as I plan to keep the car for many, many years. Open to suggestions!

Sorry for the long response,hopefully this can be of assistance to someone when troubleshooting a hunting idle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hunting Idle after warm up